Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Tailgater/Dish Network Connection Issue

Tried the Tailgater Thanksgiving week in our new 2015 28foot Flying Cloud. I had done some setup prior to leaving for the trip in locating the coax under the Blueray shelf. The Blueray was connected through a splitter so that it would play out to both the front and rear televisions. There was an HDMI cable from the Blueray box to the input of the splitter and the dual output was to each television through the Airstream wiring. I wanted to connect the Dish Network 211Z receiver through in the same way. I purchased a Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p-- Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049S6ZUS/...528360_TE_dp_1

I moved the input HDMI cable on the original splitter from the Blueray to the Kinivo switch output. Then I ran another HDMI cable from the Blueray to one of the input ports on the Knivo switch and the output HDMI cable from the Dish 211Z receiver to one of the remaining two input ports on the Kinivo. Then I connected the satellite coax to the input on the 211Z receiver. So, in summary, the satellite coax connects to the Dish receiver, the receiver connects to the Kinivo switch as does the Blueray player. The Kinivo connects to the Airstream supplied splitter and then out to the two televisions.

I connected the Tailgater to the outside satellite port on the Flying Cloud. With all turned on, the Tailgater did not respond-no vibration, no searching, no signal. I tried pressing the button on the switch under the dinette both ways and still no power to the Tailgater. So, as a test, I took the Tailgater cable loose from the outside satellite input and connected it directly to the 211Z receiver and the Tailgater powered up and began to search and showed the activity on the television screen. Never did get it to work through the satellite input on the Airstream. Anyone have ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on?

Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Sounds like the problem is the cable from the exterior port to the port for the 211Z. Can you make sure the outlet inside the trailer is really connected to the cable that goes to the outside connection.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Dave:
I agree with you. The coax cable I connected to the 211Z receiver comes into the cabinet that houses the Blueray player. It is labelled "Sat", so unless there is a break in the cable, it should be the proper connection. I did have to disassemble the platform the Blueray sits on to locate the coax underneath. I'm not sure why they don't leave it accessible. Another thread gave me the tip to locate it.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Resolved

Took the A/S in to the dealer today to have the electrical connection recall handled. While there I asked them to check the continuity from the outside satellite connection to the coax end in the Bluray cabinet. As you know, there are outside connections for both cable and satellite in this model. Turns out that Jackson Center had connected the satellite coax to the cable coax and vice/versa. Mystery solved.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
My 2014 22fb has only the single cable connection. The tailgater will not work through this connector even with the TV boost turned off. Running the coax in from the outside works. Any ideas? I think the boost is creating a reverse signal problem. I noticed the 2013 manual addresses the TV/ Sat. prewire but that verbage is not in the 2014 manual.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Here's what I did

Pecanman5:
The problem is that the signals and power that flow between the Tailgater antenna on the outside and the Dish receiver on the inside will not flow through the splitter that is a part of the antenna/cable/preamplifier switch and jack panel.

I recently installed DirecTV in my trailer. If your TV is located near the wall plate with the antenna/cable pushbutton, you can do what I did. I've attached a writeup describing my modifications.

Al
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite TV in my 2001 Safari.pdf (257.2 KB, 143 views)
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote