Old 12-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Picked up a new Airstream security system today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	254312  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Only issue is that it only works when you are close to the AS.

(Where is the 'like' button)

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #31
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Or just do your camping in Canada. The motto up here is "peace, order, and good government." We could debate #3, but the Canadian crime rate has been steadily dropping and the adjusted crime rate (per unit pop.) is much lower in Canada. Plus, you could visit cool sites like the Canadian Rockies while you're relaxing up here. Do declare your firearms at the border-- if you feel you need them.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:43 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post
What do you do about security - in storage facility, in caravan parks, and boondocking when with the vehicle, and away? Are there security systems for AS - water, fire and personal? Video camera's if someone around during the night and you're in a remote location. I've seen the firearm issues discussed in previous forum threads but not general security.
Since this is the "Electronics and Connectivity" sub-forum and the OP has expressed that he's NOT interested in discussing the relative merits of "Guns for Airstreamers," can we please get back to the OP's questions about securing an Airstream for when you're NOT in it or near it?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I purchased a orange tire boot for my trailer (mentioned here on airforums) and have been to lazy to use it...I also have the ball lock thingie...
LilNomad
Old 12-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Since this is the "Electronics and Connectivity" sub-forum and the OP has expressed that he's NOT interested in discussing the relative merits of "Guns for Airstreamers," can we please get back to the OP's questions about securing an Airstream for when you're NOT in it or near it?

You may want to read post #1 again...
Old 12-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
You may want to read post #1 again...
Perhaps you didn't see that I quoted post #1? The OP has seen the firearms issue discussed in other threads, but not general security. I took that to mean the OP didn't feel the need to discuss firearms again. It may be presumptuous of me to speak on Tarcoola's behalf, but I'm speaking on my behalf as well when I say, let's try to move the discussion back to something more pertinent.

I'm a life member of the NRA, and the right to keep and bear arms is near and dear to my heart, and I live in a state with a very permissive interpretation of said right.

But that doesn't mean that every discussion about security has to drift into a discussion about how firearms can be used to protect an Airstream. Fact of the matter, firearms cannot be used to protect an Airstream, legally. It's only property, and the right of self-defense does not extend to the use of deadly force to protect mere property. Firearms can only be used to protect the people inside. So it seems to me that based on Post #1, what the OP wanted to discuss was this… what do you do to protect your Airstream?

So can we please get back to discussing general security for an Airstream?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
I want to thank everyone for your perspectives on security and your AS, really appreciate you taking the time to respond. One of the great things about AF is the variety of responses you receive and this has been most helpful. Sounds like the basics of a good hitch lock and AS insurance is a mandatory, then it's really up to your individual preference. Dogs (our lab is 13 but still has a good bark), alarm systems (a couple were mentioned in the thread, just need to be conscious of power, and will investigate solar options), and then there's firearms which is a different thread - maybe later. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Smile Fact, Faith, Feeling - Break-ins

The fact is that anyone can break into an old airstream through the back window in a matter of seconds. Although we keep virtually nothing in the a/s, we did, use-to-have, at one time there existed, a built-in radio/cd player. About two years ago, someone popped the back window, ripped or cut the screen, and borrowed/stole/lifted the $200 system while the trailer was in storage. The person of great value did leave the door open for easy access when it departed.

I thank the Lord Jesus that we didn't have anything like jewelry or firearms stored in the trailer!

My feelings on security is simply stay in up-scale campgrounds and carry plastic. Leave the frills at home or keep them on your body. Like your car/truck, the a/s is not a safe place.

I liked the remedies though: dogs, guns, insurance, surveillance systems. Mine is simply insure the vehicle, go light and have a great time!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:52 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Springfield , Illinois
Castle Doctrine Ring a Bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Perhaps you didn't see that I quoted post #1? The OP has seen the firearms issue discussed in other threads, but not general security. I took that to mean the OP didn't feel the need to discuss firearms again. It may be presumptuous of me to speak on Tarcoola's behalf, but I'm speaking on my behalf as well when I say, let's try to move the discussion back to something more pertinent.

I'm a life member of the NRA, and the right to keep and bear arms is near and dear to my heart, and I live in a state with a very permissive interpretation of said right.

But that doesn't mean that every discussion about security has to drift into a discussion about how firearms can be used to protect an Airstream. Fact of the matter, firearms cannot be used to protect an Airstream, legally. It's only property, and the right of self-defense does not extend to the use of deadly force to protect mere property. Firearms can only be used to protect the people inside. So it seems to me that based on Post #1, what the OP wanted to discuss was this… what do you do to protect your Airstream?

So can we please get back to discussing general security for an Airstream?
Seems like a lengthy discussion off the topic for someone wanting to get back to the OP.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:04 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavitycop View Post
Seems like a lengthy discussion off the topic for someone wanting to get back to the OP.

Yes, and still missed the point of my suggestion!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
What about personal devices that can help RV campers raise their level of security, short of having a firearm or dog?

One oddball "security tool" I will be getting for the trailer is a hand-held air horn like boaters use. These are very loud up close, and can temporarily dissuade someone trying to get into the trailer. Add hearing protectors to the list also I guess. Another off-beat device is a small strobe light on a lanyard, again like mariners use for man overboard situations.

Wish I had had these two tools years ago when a drunk camper must have confused our trailer for his own, and was trying to break in during the middle of the night. Fortunately the door was securely dead-bolted, and our shouts of "wrong trailer" finally got him to realize his mistake.

A third possibility might be an EPIRB radio beacon, also from the sailing community. In a true emergency, it could be deployed, although I am not sure if doing so on land is strictly legal. Is there approved device like this for campers and hikers? Commercial airliners monitor this frequency I believe, even over land. TBD

The three tools would make for a valuable trio of security enhancements at modest cost.

PS -- And ditto to the many earlier comments about using common sense and your own innate street smarts, in order to avoid risky situations and hostile encounters. No point in "looking for a fight" which in my personal opinion is an attitude which can catalyze, rather than side-step, a possible confrontation.

. . . Peace on Earth . . .
Old 12-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I carry a small hatchet....would work for self defense, as well as chopping things.

I'm not too concerned about it, really. Locked up, it would be very difficult to get into the Interstate.....and, the truth is, break-ins happen on occasion, but they simply are pretty rare, especially in a campground/when occupied.

Doug always said "bad guys want a sure thing", and I believe that was and remains valid.....if they can't see thru your tinted windows, they don't know that you aren't holding a shotgun or something equally lethal.

Unlikely they are going to try to break their way in when they don't know who or what is on the other side.

Reasonable precautions, wherever you are, and store in a safe area.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #42
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I keep a canister of pepper spray near the door. Any suspicious strangers come-a-knocking it's right there just in case. If traveling in Canada you can get it labeled as Bear Spray and I gather that they will permit it. But as pepper spray it is prohibited.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote