Old 12-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We store our AS in a gated storage facility and have stored all our previous RVs there. Fortunately we have few concerns as we live in an area with one of the lowest crime rates in the country and our police force is exceptional.

On the road I am usually not concerned with safety in campgrounds. Rest areas, some fuel stops and certain roads do put me on guard. We travel with two large dogs, who we thought would never attack, but on one instance totally unrelated to camping we figured wrong and I am a dog trainer. I also, legally, carry both on my person and in out trailer, but I have been around weapons my whole life and in 47 years my wife as learned and she too is licensed to carry in most states.

All that said, in 45 years of camping we fortunately have never had an incident where I needed to take any kind of action except to ask the neighbors to quite down a bit and there has not been an issue with those occurrences either.

Just be cognizant of your surroundings and ENJOY.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:04 AM   #16
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have what OldVwHunters has.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I do several things:
1) remove valuables when in storage (even now at the house) and put a little sign in the window indicating "all valuables removed for storage"
2) Since it's by the house, I put in a Nest camera (wireless internet connection, but no subscription to capture shots). It not only notifies my phone if someone enters, but will notify me if a water/smoke alarm goes off.
3) installed a hidden, cheap, key fob camera that is motion activated to capture intruders.
4) Watchful neighbors
5) of course, everything is locked up
6) installed motion activated 100 LED solar floodlights above the AS on the side of the house.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #18
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Security and Your Airstream at Home, and Away.

Yep, we use a hitch lock (California Immobilizer), padlock the safety chains together and keep anything interesting well hidden / out of sight. When camping we don't worry too much, though we do lock up whenever we leave the trailer.

We can't store at our house due to HOA rules (We hates our HOA, we hates it forever, just like Gollum). So, we store at a gated covered facility with security and an on-site manager, where we can also plug in to keep the batteries happy (we installed a multi-stage smart converter / charger in our trailer vs. the standard 1-stage unit).

We considered wheel locks, chaining the trailer wheels together and all that, but discarded the ideas. Wheel locks are generally heavy and inconvenient, and we're convinced that at some point we'd forget to remove the wheel chains before trying to pull out.

We also have a dog, but he's a Golden - so, even when he was young he would have simply welcomed anyone as a visitor no matter how they got in. "Hey, welcome, great to see you! Got any treats?"

Insurance takes care of the rest. It's just stuff.
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
Overall, the remarks about common sense and being careful are important. Not sure if gang members and the majority of criminals go camping.
DavidIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
I actually generally leave the airstream unlocked if I head out for a time, or in storage -- I'd rather someone open the door and meander through inconsequential stuff; than cost me major $$$ in the shattering of a window. never had an issue yet.
I'm with you on this when in campgrounds, but my wife is wearing the lock on our A/S out no matter where we park. She is paranoid and refuses to leave her jewelry at home fearing someone may break in the house so locks it up in the A/S when we travel. As to boondocking sites, we live an hour or so away from the Pisgah National Forest where there are some beautiful, quiet, wilderness camp sites only a mile or two on dirt/gravel roads from a US highway. Only problem there is no cell phone service or help if needed, hence my 45 automatic, big chow mix and, yes, locked door. Over the years there have been several mysterious disappearances of folks hiking or running alone and several kidnappings from picnic areas in the forest. I say take great care when wilderness camping alone. Probably best not to do it.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
Vashon , Washington
Security and Your Airstream at Home, and Away.

... 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks, with us .... roughly 230 lbs. of very active alarm if anything untoward ... otherwise lovebug couch potatoes!
guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I'm more concerned with security while my Airstream is in storage, considering that it was burglarized less than sixteen hours after I bought it. No trouble since then, due to the alarm system I had installed along with parking it in a less visible location.

As for security while traveling, remember that you're camping in an RV. You are mobile, and you have no reason to stay anywhere that you do not think is safe for you or your Airstream. No destination is worthwhile if you're too worried about safety or security to enjoy it, so if you don't feel safe in one location, just go elsewhere.

But feeling safe isn't always the same as being safe, so I'll second the recommendation to have excellent insurance coverage, just in case.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
Springfield , Illinois
Smith and Wesson .40 Cal or Glock 19 9 mm. Also a large chocolate lab with an "I mean business" bark is a great insurance policy.
cavitycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
I just read an article about someone that had installed this Wink | About us in his Airstream to turn in into a smart trailer (Smartstream?). Apparently, this integrates devices from a number of manufacturers and all can be controlled or monitored from a single app on your smartphone. It would require a wifi router and cell connection to communicate. I have not looked into it further but like the idea. If anyone has any experience with the system, I would love to hear about it.
akjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My trailer is in my fenced backyard. The gate is secured with a Chinese flea market lock. If someone wants it bad enough to snip my pitiful lock and take the camper out of my residential neighborhood, they can have it. I can settle up with the insurance company later.
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2008 19' Safari SE
Bandera , Texas
Hitch lock, gun if that's within your beliefs, common sense just like at home. Never had a concern really, even at rest stop on I-10 in Louisiana.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Never had a concern really, even at rest stop on I-10 in Louisiana.
You make it sound like you expected a rest stop on I-10 in Louisiana to be dangerous…
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
I use a hitch lock, and engage the chains around the hitch and lock in with the top snap lock of the hitch. I use ratchet braces on my tandem axles to prevent the coach from rolling, but they would also slow a thief down. A Glock and a Mossberg combat 12 gauge also accompany us in the States. In 44 years of trailering I was only REALLY glad we had firearms twice, and even then we resolved the situation without discharging them. Still, the firearms give us peace of mind, and we hope we will never have to discharge them while camping. They come along just in case we are wrong. When we leave our AS at home and drive somewhere unhooked, we park one of our other vehicles with the bumper touching the hitch of the AS, just to make theft more difficult. Then we close our gates and turn on our home video camera. And at the end of the day, don't let fear rob you of enjoying life. Buy Agreed Value AS insurance, and enjoy yourself.

2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote