Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
TNB
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Lebanon , New Jersey
Satellite Installation

We just purchased a 2012 serenity 30 and went to visit at the dealer today. The pickup is next Saturday. They are installing satellite and are not finished but we were surprised to see the boxes mounted directly on the walls. There must be a better way? Does anyone have experience or advice on this? Thanks!
TNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
By "boxes" do I assume correctly that you are referring to the electronics, the satellite tuner/decoder and what, a DVD player?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
TNB
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Lebanon , New Jersey
The DVD is I'n the overhead at the couch end of the airstream. There is a converter box right next to the tv in the galley area and one I'n the bedroom. They literally have the box flat on the wall.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
OK, thanks for explaining that. Oh, and welcome to the Forums, by the way!

So, where would you rather have them install the boxes?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
TNB
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Lebanon , New Jersey
My thoughts were that they would be where the DVD is out of sight.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Ozark , Missouri
despite the $800+ for the second tv (which i was told was due to the wiring required) the wiring for a satellite box was miserably inconvenient - the connection was at the dinette table. This put the box on the table, although some had suggested connecting it to the underside the table. in addition, all connections were made with coax cable rather than HDMI prevending the high definition reception. Miserable design.
emalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB
We just purchased a 2012 serenity 30 and went to visit at the dealer today. The pickup is next Saturday. They are installing satellite and are not finished but we were surprised to see the boxes mounted directly on the walls. There must be a better way? Does anyone have experience or advice on this? Thanks!
Speak up BEFORE they do something you will not like!! My AV controls, etc. are NOT in plain view. However, your unit may not have a easy solution.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB View Post
I have a pretty new satellite installation and the control box and all the cables etc. are on the shelf in the closet. I've got the satellite control box, a DVR and a HDMI splitter all sitting on the shelf in the closet. All of the coax cables from the dish terminate in there as well as both HDMI cables for the TVs. I purchased a RF remote from Direct TV and the entire installation is seamless as well as out of site.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #9
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
X01,

Interested in your install. Is your dish on the roof? If so did they run new wires from the dish to the closet, and new HDMI wires from the closet to both televisions? If so it sounds much tidier than using the existing coax connections provided by AS.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
TNB
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Lebanon , New Jersey
Thank you. That sounds like the right design and says that the wiring from the room can find it's way to the back of the airstream. I will call them tomorrow! Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
TNB
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Lebanon , New Jersey
Thank you. The clarity of questions helped with validating this is possible
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
X01,

Interested in your install. Is your dish on the roof? If so did they run new wires from the dish to the closet, and new HDMI wires from the closet to both televisions? If so it sounds much tidier than using the existing coax connections provided by AS.
I'll try to answer but understand that I was not there when it was done.

The dish is on the roof and collapses when not in use, it sort of folds down to lie flat (well mostly flat). In the closet there are four coax cables, three coming from the dish and one that (in my opinion) is not needed. I use two of the cables for my DVR, the third I guess would be used if I wanted two receivers and the fourth for some reason just runs into the living room and comes out behind the TV. I still don't know why or what I would do with it.

There is a control box by Winegard in the closet that uses 110v. That box has the control that raises and lowers the dish, there's a LCD panel showing which satellites are being used (three of them). Two HDMI cables from that box, one for the front TV and one for the bedroom TV. I use a small HDMI splitter, in my installation we can watch either TV but of course both TVs will have the same channel. You'd need two receivers if you wanted different programs.

I can't tell you much about routing of cables other than when I look in the panel where the water pump is I see a rats nest of coax cables. I see no evidence of the installation other than in the closet and the terminus of the HDMI cables attached to both TVs. In general the installation is seamless. Using the source selector on the TV I can choose inputs from the dish, digital antenna, cable TV input or DVD.

The dealer who installed it is Toscano RV in Los Banos, CA. They use an outside audio/visual guy for all their electronics. I suspect if you phone them you could get more technical details on cable routing etc...

Our travel log
Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB View Post
Thank you. The clarity of questions helped with validating this is possible
Glad you got the answer you needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider View Post
In the closet there are four coax cables, three coming from the dish and one that (in my opinion) is not needed. I use two of the cables for my DVR, the third I guess would be used if I wanted two receivers and the fourth for some reason just runs into the living room and comes out behind the TV. I still don't know why or what I would do with it.
Could they have run four cables since an HD (hi def) signal requires two cables?

Personally, I would not accept a set-up that requires both sets to watch the same channel. To me, that defeats part of the purpose in having two TVs.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
X01,

That's what I thought. You still have the original digital antenna that was stock on your 27FB and also a stand alone satellite dish? If so it probably means they put a new hole in the skin to get the coax from the dish to the receiver. Is this hole visible or is it under the mount for the dish?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
X01,

That's what I thought. You still have the original digital antenna that was stock on your 27FB and also a stand alone satellite dish? If so it probably means they put a new hole in the skin to get the coax from the dish to the receiver. Is this hole visible or is it under the mount for the dish?

No idea, one of these days I'll bring a ladder with me on a trip and find out.

Our travel log
Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Glad you got the answer you needed.

Could they have run four cables since an HD (hi def) signal requires two cables?

Personally, I would not accept a set-up that requires both sets to watch the same channel. To me, that defeats part of the purpose in having two TVs.
No, I only need one cable for HD (along with a B-band converter). I use the second cable in order to use my DVR to record two shows and or watch one and record another. Having said that if you want to watch different shows on each TV it takes a second receiver.

Our travel log
Old 08-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider View Post
No, I only need one cable for HD (along with a B-band converter). I use the second cable in order to use my DVR to record two shows and or watch one and record another. Having said that if you want to watch different shows on each TV it takes a second receiver.
OK, it's been a while since I had my HD system installed, and I think you are right. So then, it still makes sense to have four cables, since they couldn't know which place you may want to use a two-tuner DVR.

Rental on a second receiver is $4 a month here. In winter, I use the "extra" one to use my trailer TV in the basement. Only so many shows that my DW and I share a common desire to watch
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
... an HD (hi def) signal requires two cables?
??? Just one coax cable to our receiver and one HDMI to the TV ... the newer sat receivers have the capability to simultaneously watch one show and record another - with just one signal supply cable from the dish to the receiver...

The receivers have HDMI, coax, and RCA-pin outputs as well.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
??? Just one coax cable to our receiver and one HDMI to the TV ... the newer sat receivers have the capability to simultaneously watch one show and record another - with just one signal supply cable from the dish to the receiver...

The receivers have HDMI, coax, and RCA-pin outputs as well.
OK, yes, that's it: two for watch one record the other. HDMI is a neat connector. All the HiDef video info, plus audio too in a lightweight, smaller wire.