Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Specificaly where did the theft and attempted theift take place?
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcru
Specificaly where did the theft and attempted theift take place?
Hi
I lost one of mine at Canyon Point campground AZ this month.All the campground in that area have posted notices the last few years to lock your generators (mine was).All the campgrounds around Woods canyon lake,bear canyon lake,Knole canyon lake,Willow spings Lake have notices .This is on the Mogollon Rim East of Payson AZ.Also the Campgrounds around Williams AZ like Kaibab Lake,Dog Towen lake,White Horse lake all have notice with description of a person that is doing it in that area.I had someone try an get mine at the Palm campground at Borreggo Spings campground in CA.This has also been a problem round the big winter get' togeather around Quartzsite AZ and Imperial Dam CA area the last two or three years. It is so bad in some places like Aspen and Spillway camp grounds that deputy sheriffs will walk the camp sites in the evening to tell people to put there generators away.I think canyon point had 4 theifs of 5 generators this year.
I also had one stolen out of my locked truck in a "good neighborhood" while it was parked in my driveway.
They seam to have no problem selling them since alot of fokes like to buy cheap "USED GENERATORS" most of the time NOT USED by the seller.
All I can say, it sure takes the fun out of camping , But I am not going to let some asshole stop me.
As I have sead, I now have mine mounted on a plate that I park the trailer tire on then put an Alarm-it cable thru the wheel.Now I want a motion detector that is self powerd with an alarm built in to stop them before they can get to the generator .
Note my dog did wake up and bark at Barraggo Spring,but did not at the one taken at my house and was not with me the last time.
Just remember a quite generator can be a gone generator.I evan heard of one that was pluged in an running when it was stolen.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'm not sure how they work but how about looking at pool alarms that detect movement? if all else fails, call jack bauer ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Just remember that those security systems are really stupid, can't tell the difference between a thief and the animals running around at night!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Jimmini,

Check out The Revolutionary Security System :: Videofied Manufactured by RSIalarm. They have a very interesting product that includes a true security system. An option is to have a mpeg of the scene emailed to the owner and the local police depart upon activation of the alarm.
This looks like nice unit BUT motion sensors are for indoors use only.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I saw a photo of a pole mound camera, I think, in Security Products (Security Products) in July, but I am unable to find the old issue. You’re right; I can’t find an outdoor camera on their website. That might have been a prototype.

Could have sworn I saw an outdoor camera.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Outdoor VIA-Pro Camera

After my last post, I went to their website and sent them a request. I just got the following response from Keith Jentoft, the president of RSIalarm. I located the July edition of Security Products. The VIA-Pro was the feature of a full page Product Spotlight because it was chosen as the best new produce at the ISC West trade show in Las Vegas.
Re: There has been a thread (http://www.airforums. com/forums/f317/rv- outdoors-security- system-36628- 2.html#post461429) on the Airstream Owners' Forum about RV security products. An owner is searching for an external mount camera. Do you have plans for an external mount VIA-Pro camera?

Vaughan,

We have an weather-proof outdoor camera coming out the end of this year. It will operate from -20F to over +130F. It has a threaded nut in the rear to attach to a gimbal mount. I have attached a photo for you. It has an integrated:
- PIR motion sensor
- Video Camera
- Infrared illuminators

It is battery powered and totally wireless.

While the camera will operate outside, installation will dictate how it performs. The motion sensor is not designed to look at moving bushes, etc and not trip. It will do a great job at looking at something like a truck be where there is not supposed to be any background movement. People plan on using it to secure storage trailers, power substations, and other infrastructure.

Thank you

I appreciate such a quick response from the company president.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outdoor-model-2-vw.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	46872  
Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
Just remember that those security systems are really stupid, can't tell the difference between a thief and the animals running around at night!
The current one I have needs to be mounted high enough to just sense the 2 legged animals. I'm going to try the Reporter - they claim to have focused the sensor wide and flat to reduce animal triggers - small animals anyway
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward
The current one I have needs to be mounted high enough to just sense the 2 legged animals. I'm going to try the Reporter - they claim to have focused the sensor wide and flat to reduce animal triggers - small animals anyway
It is flat but not to wide more a beam does not have the 120 degree as stated in one sales book.one place in the trouble shooting it sead to mount near ground point up at 30 degree so that it will see heat from engine and no closer than 8 feet from car.
See my posting about it above
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #30
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jim ~ Thanks for the update on the generator problems. Jan & I will be camping at the group area at Woods Canyon Lake next weekend with our fly fishing club. I remember the rangers warning us last year about this problem. I will lock the generator in the truck at night. I'll also put the dogs on full alert (alot of good that will do) and have my 9 loaded and ready for action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3girls.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	47185  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Sounds like Wander has the solution. Thanks Wander I didnt know about the Reporter I didnt know there was ever a problem with pple stealing generators. Sound like the best idea is the gen mounted on a plate and the trailer or a car setting on the plate.
We go tomorrow to pick up our "new to US, 77 Overlander"
Think I keep my gen in the truck.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini
Looks like we need a Security forum,so I will post here .Does anyone know of a OUTDOORS security system motion detector with siren that is self powerd?That WORKS. I want to know when someone is stealing my Honda 2000 generator BEFORE they cut the alarm-it cable.All systems seem to deal with the problem after someone is already inside your RV or the cable is cut and the alarm goes off.I want to them before the damage is done.I also have mouted the generator to a plate and park the trailer tire on that.But they still try.
how about a big *ss K9?

JUST SAYIN,

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Jim ~ Thanks for the update on the generator problems. Jan & I will be camping at the group area at Woods Canyon Lake next weekend with our fly fishing club. I remember the rangers warning us last year about this problem. I will lock the generator in the truck at night. I'll also put the dogs on full alert (alot of good that will do) and have my 9 loaded and ready for action.
Richard
I had mine locked to trailer with security cable and hardend lock.No help they cut it and where gone. Even took lock and cable, left NO evidence.Remember you CAN NOT whem with the shot gun if you DO NOT know the bad guys are there.Need alarm that lets know you have trouble at you RV BEFORE damage is done.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Jimmini. What you want is, what I call, a door knob alarm. They are made for houses Etc. and they just hang over the door knob, they are battery powered, and have a key pad to shut them off. Once moved, they are very loud, like ear pierceing. Attach one of these to your generator and when the thief moves it, It's noise will wake up the dead.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I seem to rembember Home Depot had some solar powered motion detector lights. The idea is you could nail them to a tree or a post in your backyard, away from power.
It operates a 12V flood light, so it wouldnt be to hard to wire in one of those really anoying buzzers.
Or a silonoid to pull the trigger on a can of bear mace...........