Old 11-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I had virtually no luck with my crank up antenna on my 2013 Flying Cloud. I have since purchased a 2015 Cloud but have not had to opportunity to test out the new style antenna. Reading this thread to get reports on it.

In truth, there is only one way to get a comparison of two different antennas. That is to have them in the exact same place with the exact same connections, amplifiers and TV set and at the same time. The antenna on your 2013, may have not been working for you for so many different reasons, that it is not possible to even make an educated guess if the antenna itself was the problem. I do not doubt that one antenna can out perform another. However before the antenna is declared to be the weak link, there are many other factors to be checked out. The fact that you are going to have a whole new trailer and all the circuitry is different, means that even if it works much better, you can not safely say, the antenna is what is making the results better.

Ken

Old 11-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Big mistake to swap for the "new" Frisbee Omni-directional as provided by AS ... as the newer style antenna seems to be 1/2 or less sensitive compared to the crank up - with no way to aim ... The Omni allowed for the ducting location in the same relative area as well as re-location of the factory solar panels.

...observations based upon the exact same model AS (2013 International Eddie Bauer w/flat roof & crank up / 2015 International Eddie Bauer w/ "humped" roof and Omni), exact same television (swapped between units), parked in the exact same location, exact same orientation, trying to tune in the exact same stations, with the same weather pattern - all with very poor results by the Omni antenna. Evaluation based on the lesser number of stations tuned in by the Omni-directional television antenna.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I would imagine the crank up antenna may have more gain than even the smaller jack if it can be rotated to point to the strongest signal. But the jack has a built in signal amplifier to bring in the weaker signals.

The model I got was around 100 bucks, on Amazon warehouse deals back in the Spring. It came complete with the base and the parts for the rotation part and the connection plate for the wall. There was no old antenna on my trailer, so this was the best option for me. AFAIK, there are no more analog signals for over the air tv so the large size of the old antennas doesnt help much any more, digital signals don't need a large antenna. I'm happy with the reception, but I don't have a comparison to go on since we have cable at home. HTH

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
I would imagine the crank up antenna may have more gain than even the smaller jack if it can be rotated to point to the strongest signal. But the jack has a built in signal amplifier to bring in the weaker signals.

The model I got was around 100 bucks, on Amazon warehouse deals back in the Spring. It came complete with the base and the parts for the rotation part and the connection plate for the wall. There was no old antenna on my trailer, so this was the best option for me. AFAIK, there are no more analog signals for over the air tv so the large size of the old antennas doesn't help much any more, digital signals don't need a large antenna. I'm happy with the reception, but I don't have a comparison to go on since we have cable at home. HTH
The problem is that the amplifier on a omni directional antenna will also amplify any interfering signal and electrical noise coming from any direction.

Since RVs are meant for getting away from it all, they probably shouldn't have TV in the first place. However it's way too late to deal with that problem.

So if we have TV we might as well make it usable. An omni-directional antenna is the worst possible solution for a TV located in fringe areas. I'm assuming that is where most of us hope to camp. So yes it may appear to work fine. But due to the design of digital TV systems, you don't know what you are missing unless you compare reception to a neighbor with a properly adjusted directional antenna. Unlike analog TV where you see fuzzy distorted images when tuned to a weak signal, until a digital TV detects a usable signal level, the screen remains blank. You will never know what you missed.

When you have a directional antenna pointed in the proper direction the signal will be significantly stronger than with a omni-directional antenna and conversely when pointed away from the station the directional antenna will be significantly weaker. Therefor with a directional antenna on a digital TV, it is very helpful to know in advance what direction the various signals are coming from. However with a omni directional antenna it doesn't matter, but you will not see the marginal signals that require the gain of the directional antenna.

A properly designed direction antenna does not just just block signals from undesired directions. It also captures more energy from the desired direction and provides more energy to the TV receiver. Unfortunately, to take significant advantage of this, the antenna needs to be physically bigger. That is why home TV antennas are often very large. If you really want the best off the air TV signal, bring along a home TV antenna and set it up next to the trailer.

Obviously the best solution for real TV addicts is Dish Network with their service plan you can turn on and off when you use you RV.

~~

Ken
Old 11-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I installed this about a year ago, and its works as advertised. It essentially replaces the booster. I had to do a bit of opening enlargement, but once that was done, the hookup and installation went fast.

In some campgrounds, I've doubled the receivable TV stations, using the previous standard Winegard booster.

SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I installed this about a year ago, and its works as advertised. It essentially replaces the booster. I had to do a bit of opening enlargement, but once that was done, the hookup and installation went fast.

In some campgrounds, I've doubled the receivable TV stations, using the previous standard Winegard booster.

SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter
Does the channel sensing work OK? That is my biggest issue is trying to aim the antenna. Any wiring changes?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
There's an iPhone app called TV Towers-USA that shows a map of over-air TV stations and their direction in relation to your location. Works well and saves having to search for them by rotating your antenna. Also, shows network affiliations and call letters. This one or others may also be available for other phone brands...I'm not sure.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
With the SensarPro meter I'd have to cut another hole in my wall for the coax connector. Too bad they don't have a model that integrates the coax connector.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Does the channel sensing work OK? That is my biggest issue is trying to aim the antenna. Any wiring changes?
That's the main reason for getting the device.

It works!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
The problem is that the amplifier on a omni directional antenna will also amplify any interfering signal and electrical noise coming from any direction.

~~

Ken
Just to clarify, the Jack is not omni-directional, you can rotate it about 359 degrees and watch the picture on the tv as well as the signal strength change.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
Just to clarify, the Jack is not omni-directional, you can rotate it about 359 degrees and watch the picture on the tv as well as the signal strength change.
Thanks. I guess I was a bit confused about that. Do the ones that are mounted on what appears to be a rigid pedestal rotate?

Ken