Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Peterborough , New Hampshire
I just purchased a Voyager and am getting ready to install the camera on my AS. How difficult is it to remove and tap into the power on the top marker light? I am also a little concerned with the 3/4" hole I have to make in the body. I would like to see a u tube video on this procedure before I start. Thanks
terrylarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
So i've got a question for you folks with the Voyager system.... I have a 28' with the Fiamma Bike Rack on the rear. Do anyone see any problem with mounting the camera on the bike rack? As opposed to the normal installation. I'm thinking I can still access power from the license plate light.
Any thoughts would be great

thanks

Doug
Depends on what you want to do with the camera. If it is mounted up high, it can angled so that you see the edge of the bumper out, which is great for backing close to objects. It is a wide angle lens, so you still get left and right and behind the trailer.

If you mount it lower, you will have to angle it away from the trailer in order to see anything behind. I know some people have mounted them around the middle rear; maybe they can chime in as to what they can see.

In addition to backing, one of the great advantages is to be able to see traffic behind your trailer as you are travelling. Makes it much easier to switch lanes.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
You've got to love the internet. I returned to my post and found an ad for back-up cameras. Big brother is as efficient as it is spooky.

Anyway, didn't someone mount a camera in a rear window to avoid making holes in trailer and theft? Chime in here.

Beside mounting near the marker light for power, couldn't it be mounted near the licence plate where most rear views on cars are today? There would be 12v power there.

Now, if I could just combine a Garmin like the 2798LMT with 2 wireless cameras (truck bumper/hitch and rear of trailer) onto the same scree I'd know where I've been and where I'm going. I'd be all set.
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Garmin RV 760LMT with Wireless Backup Camera

Has anyone tried the Garmin for RV with camera? Need a new Garmin so, why not this?

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT-...=garmin+for+rv
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We have the garmin with the camera. We have a 30FC. We mount it inside above the bed on a suction cup mount and remove it when we arrive. We put in a 12vt lighter outlet in the alcove next to the bed. We haven't needed the repeater.
I don't have anything to compare it to. The view is OK. It was really easy -- no holes or outside mounting.
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Actually I was thinking I could have a plug as that would allow me to take the camera off when I'm not using it and don't want to risk it departing without my knowledge.
That makes a lot of sense. You can get a Ram Mount or something similar to mount it to bike rack. Should do you good. The only drawback to this particular camera is the lens is a bit of a fish eye and may not give you a good view from that low.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
65Streamer -- I just asked Garmin about GPS/camera (I have the 2797lmt). They said 2789lmt mates with BC wireless camera (but not mine ) My goal matches yours.
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
The only drawback to this particular camera is the lens is a bit of a fish eye and may not give you a good view from that low.

That's a valid point wonder how big an issue that might be? Does anyone reading this have a unit they have not installed yet? Who could put it about half way up the back of your AS and tell me what the viewing angles look like?
Thanks
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-20-2015, 05:14 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Peterborough , New Hampshire
I have a unmounted Voyager camera. I will try mounting it inside on the rear window and get back to you. Terry
terrylarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylarock View Post
I have a unmounted Voyager camera. I will try mounting it inside on the rear window and get back to you. Terry
Thanks Terry!
As I mentioned earlier I'm thinking of mounting the camera on the top arm of my bike rack. That would put it about the same height as the bottom of the back window. So if you could give me an idea how the camera prospective is from that angle that would we great

Thanks

Doug
Old 08-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #31
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Winston Salem , North Carolina
We installed the Garmin RV 760LMT that has wireless backup on our 23' Flying Cloud. The back up camera was installed right above the rear window and works seamlessly with the GPS in the cab. So far it's been great. Not that crazy about their trip planning tool (Base Camp) - not very intuitive...
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrover View Post
I recently saw a wireless back up camera that sends the feed to your iPhone which would be ideal for me. I'll have to go back and find it to post it here.

D

https://www.rvrearviewcamera.com

I use this with my iPhone and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Here is what I use: https://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Petaluma , California
I love the iBall camera because it is idiotproof and cheap ($150) and no, I am in no way connected to the company that markets this product. The camera had a magnet that secures to the underside of the AS bumper where the rear storage is. The display plugs into your cigarette lighter and that's it. No wires, no installation! My only complaint is that the display is a little small but you can get used to it. I keep it in my TV until I need it.
iBall - $149.95, Free US & CDN Shipping, Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera – iBallhitchcam.com
Roll-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacnps View Post
We installed the Garmin RV 760LMT that has wireless backup on our 23' Flying Cloud. The back up camera was installed right above the rear window and works seamlessly with the GPS in the cab. So far it's been great. Not that crazy about their trip planning tool (Base Camp) - not very intuitive...

Realize this an older thread. How did you wire the camera? I do not have a back up light on my 2011 Safari 23 to properly wire it to.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Realize this an older thread. How did you wire the camera? I do not have a back up light on my 2011 Safari 23 to properly wire it to.
I was considering going with the Garmin solution, and while researching it I think some people ran the cable from the camera to the transmitter under the AS, and powered the transmitter off the battery in the front. They used cable ties or something similar wherever they could from to hold the cable in place.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I had the latest Voyager digital wireless installed a couple weeks ago at Camping World & it performs flawlessly, highly recommend the Voyager Camera.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:51 AM   #38
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Winston Salem , North Carolina
We went to the dealer to installl
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:03 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacnps View Post
We went to the dealer to installl
Do you know how they ran the wire and powered the Garmin camera on the 23?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I did not want to drill a hole in the end cap, so I mounted on a section of aluminum angle, and attached with double sided tape with small self tamping screw in the window drain channel.

ran the wire down the side of the window and connects to the license plate light wire.

works well for us. certainly mounting on the end cap and running the wire to the center clearance light is a cleaner install, but it does involve drilling holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	261219  
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote