Old 08-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2014 23' International
Jefferson City , Missouri
I just got a preowned AS in July. It come with a rear backup camera and we just love it. Its good for traveling forward as you can see traffic coming up behind you. Its also good for backing. Not only can you see where you are backing but as you back up you can have the volume on and hear who is back there helping you. No more yelling.
You can also move the monitor from your tow vehicle to the AS and keep an eye on the back of your AS as it sits in the campground, parking lot, etc.
Im glad we have it.

51coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
I recently saw a wireless back up camera that sends the feed to your iPhone which would be ideal for me. I'll have to go back and find it to post it here.

The Jarretts
Nashville, Tennessee
2015 25' Eddie Bauer
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
65S you would need a different monitor. Voyager makes split screens. Setup might be mix of hardwired and wireless cameras. The Wireless Voyager being discussed and typical on an AS does have a second input. But you would need to switch between the two screens.
2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Check out "Swift Hitch Camera". Free Shipping. I bought one for my son-in-law to hook up his trailer and truck and it works great. Think maybe it would work for your AS also. Its wireless with magnet and runs off batteries and plugs into your power point in the cab. He removes it after hook up but think you could mount it permanently if you witch.
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Smile help

Originally Posted by mkamanu View Post
Thanks for mentioning RV driver training; didn't even know they had such. Will look up in texas.... im really scared of the thought of the day i will get on the road to tow one.even thought i really hope it's soon. .. still looking.
I live in mesquite tx. just s. of you . drive 18wheeler and pull a/s. more than happy to help you learn to back /pull your a/s. or whatever help you need.
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are several threads about rear view cameras.
I have an aftermarket camera installed by a car stereo store.
I use one monitor for the truck reverse camera and the rear view camera on the Airstream. I use a toggle switch to select which camera- use the truck camera to couple to the trailer, then switch to the trailer rear view camera to see what's behind me or back into a campsite.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Peterborough , New Hampshire
I just purchased a Voyager and am getting ready to install the camera on my AS. How difficult is it to remove and tap into the power on the top marker light? I am also a little concerned with the 3/4" hole I have to make in the body. I would like to see a u tube video on this procedure before I start. Thanks
terrylarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
Portland , Oregon
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
So i've got a question for you folks with the Voyager system.... I have a 28' with the Fiamma Bike Rack on the rear. Do anyone see any problem with mounting the camera on the bike rack? As opposed to the normal installation. I'm thinking I can still access power from the license plate light.
Any thoughts would be great

Depends on what you want to do with the camera. If it is mounted up high, it can angled so that you see the edge of the bumper out, which is great for backing close to objects. It is a wide angle lens, so you still get left and right and behind the trailer.

If you mount it lower, you will have to angle it away from the trailer in order to see anything behind. I know some people have mounted them around the middle rear; maybe they can chime in as to what they can see.

In addition to backing, one of the great advantages is to be able to see traffic behind your trailer as you are travelling. Makes it much easier to switch lanes.
2015 Nash 24M
2014 Tundra DC Limited TRD (Sold)
2016 Ram 3500 CTD SRW CC
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1965 30' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Redgranite , Wisconsin
You've got to love the internet. I returned to my post and found an ad for back-up cameras. Big brother is as efficient as it is spooky.

Anyway, didn't someone mount a camera in a rear window to avoid making holes in trailer and theft? Chime in here.

Beside mounting near the marker light for power, couldn't it be mounted near the licence plate where most rear views on cars are today? There would be 12v power there.

Now, if I could just combine a Garmin like the 2798LMT with 2 wireless cameras (truck bumper/hitch and rear of trailer) onto the same scree I'd know where I've been and where I'm going. I'd be all set.
Lots to do. Getting there.
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Garmin RV 760LMT with Wireless Backup Camera

Has anyone tried the Garmin for RV with camera? Need a new Garmin so, why not this?
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We have the garmin with the camera. We have a 30FC. We mount it inside above the bed on a suction cup mount and remove it when we arrive. We put in a 12vt lighter outlet in the alcove next to the bed. We haven't needed the repeater.
I don't have anything to compare it to. The view is OK. It was really easy -- no holes or outside mounting.
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Actually I was thinking I could have a plug as that would allow me to take the camera off when I'm not using it and don't want to risk it departing without my knowledge.
That makes a lot of sense. You can get a Ram Mount or something similar to mount it to bike rack. Should do you good. The only drawback to this particular camera is the lens is a bit of a fish eye and may not give you a good view from that low.
You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds":

TV: 2013 Ford Raptor SVT
Build Page:
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
65Streamer -- I just asked Garmin about GPS/camera (I have the 2797lmt). They said 2789lmt mates with BC wireless camera (but not mine ) My goal matches yours.
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
The only drawback to this particular camera is the lens is a bit of a fish eye and may not give you a good view from that low.

That's a valid point wonder how big an issue that might be? Does anyone reading this have a unit they have not installed yet? Who could put it about half way up the back of your AS and tell me what the viewing angles look like?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote