Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
RandMcNally GPS

I'm interested in the Rand McNally RVND 7720 7-Inch RV GPS with Free Lifetime Maps.

Have any of you used one of these units and would you recommend it, or not?

I have a Garmin unit which is OK for the car, but I want something that would work well while towing.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have the RVND 7710 (1st gen) and have been pretty happy with it as it is designed for RV'ers and you can program your weights, lengths etc., so as not to go where you can't. Google it or search on here for more info from previous posts. However the software does not work with the Macintosh Mavericks system.

Good Sam often bundles them with accessories on sale.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
It works about the same as SERI on the Verizon phone. The screen is larger and better to see and the voice is louder and clearer. At times I have argued with it when I was in a area that I was familiar with and it wanted me to take a different direction or make a U turn. "recalculating" It also displays the info in additional to the vocal and map.
I have not used the locator for campgrounds gas food etc.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The Rand McNally GPS uses Magellan software and maps. Or it used to, the one time I looked into it. Maybe they've changed since then…

I used to have a Magellan GPS (though not the Rand McNally model). When it worked, it was great. But as often as not, when I updated the firmware or maps, a glitch would develop, and the Magellan customer service folks would ALWAYS say, "Send it to us by FedEx— and ONLY by FedEx— at your own expense, and we'll replace your new GPS with a rebuilt GPS. Then you can download the maps again." No, they wouldn't send me a prepaid shipping label, not even once.

That happened about three times in just under two years. Not only did it cost me money each time to send it back to Magellan, but the unit I got back was always older and more beat-up than the one I sent in. Then I had to once again try to download the maps that caused the previous unit to lock up, and IF that worked, then I had to reprogram all of my stored destinations because naturally the rebuilt model didn't have any of my favorites on it.

I finally got disgusted, smashed the Magellan GPS with a hammer (childish, I know, but it felt soooo good!) and bought a Garmin that I'm still using today with no problems at all in well over six years.

I will never own another Magellan GPS. But that's just me. I'm sure there are many more glowing commendations out there that would offset my personal condemnation.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Funny how these units work. I had a Garmin and that is the reason for the Rand. With the Rand, I also Mapquest a trip. I got to this intersection and Mapquest said turn Left and Garmin right. I did Garmin and crossed I90 3 times and 40 miles and ended back at that SAME intersection and was told to turn right. I had been 3 blocks from my destination at that intersection.
That same Garmin unit also had me do 5 loops of a clover leaf. I was 1 mile from home so just followed its directions to see how it worked.
I sent it in and it still has "Glitches".
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I have the RVND 7725, the Good Sam version of it and have been very happy with it. Like any GPS you'll occasionally wonder why it's taking you the way it is, but overall it's a great unit. Having campgrounds in it's database is a real bonus. And I have been using the software with Mavericks.

I just bought a new truck with GPS so I'm selling my 7725. PM me if you're interested. Here's a link to it at CW.

Good Sam GPS 7" RVND7725 Powered by Rand McNally - Rand McNally CW68986 - GPS Units - Camping World

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
For some reason, unknown to me, my search function does not work right on this forum and I end up with some older posts about everything but what I search for. Oh well, that's another subject.
I have looked at these GPS devices in the past and since then my interest was renewed when I noticed the newer models had some inhancement of the features.
Thanks for all the comments so far, I find them all helpful.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I've got two of the Magellan 7" units, (LM1700) one in the car, one in the truck, and they have worked fine for me, the older one for the last two years now. It has been updated once or twice, no issues. It occasionally gets a bit stupid (they all do, you have to be smarter than the GPS) in the routing, but that is really a fault of the database which Magellan and other manufacturers purchase for their units. Besides the large screen, both units also take a video input which connects to a backkup camera.

Neither unit is designed specifically for RV's or trucks, but I havent found them lacking when traveling. If you think that capability is necessary, then by all means try the rand unit out and report back.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I had some additional questions about the 7720 and asked the company thru an email. It took several days but they did get back to me with answers. One of the things the rep told me is that a new version will be for sale shortly. It's the 7730. I have no details as to what makes the 7730 different but I guess we will see that when it comes out in the stores. I Googled it and found nothing.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Garmin

I have been watching this thread and decided to jump in. I have used well over a dozen different GPS devices, car OEM, boat, portable. I have never found anything more intuitive than Garmin. I also find that they keep their map and POI database more up-to-date than the others. I just recently bought the Garmin RV model and have been playing around with it, adding custom POI's from Allstays. So far, I love this Garmin more than any other Garmin I have owned.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I had some additional questions about the 7720 and asked the company thru an email. It took several days but they did get back to me with answers. One of the things the rep told me is that a new version will be for sale shortly. It's the 7730. I have no details as to what makes the 7730 different but I guess we will see that when it comes out in the stores. I Googled it and found nothing.
I believe Camping World has the the newest 3rd gen. model available. Seems Rand McNally has partnered with them and now has a "Good Sam" custom labeled version. They show a RVND 7735 model available now which is probably the same as the RM 7730 the rep mentioned.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Garmin

Well I have a Garmin nuvi LM50, I think that's the model. Make sure they operate in Canada. Took mine with me and crossed over in Saint Stephen, New Brunswick. The crazy thing said I was 'off road' all the way to Saint John and then off road to Moncton and off road in water across Confederation bridge.
I chose the bird icon so it was ok,
So I tried to update it when I got back home. Maybe it knows about Canada now?
Glad I didn't have to rely on it. It's fun to watch sometimes, reminds me of the chaos guy in the insurance commercial that yells 'recalculating' three times and then ' left turn, NOW' then the driver runs into a store. LOL
Have a good one,
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have an older Magellan 1700 without the fancy features -very basic.
Pros:
- large screen
- good list of campgrounds, restaurants, fuel etc......
- has backup camera but could be better resolution

Cons:
- cannot input coordinates, only addresses
- extremely slow and cumbersome map updates
- computer software interface - slow and cumbersome - not intuitive
- touch screen often not very responsive
- a trip through central Indiana had it loosing it's mind and telling us to take rural side streets

If it's made by Magellan I think I would try a different brand.......
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I believe Camping World has the the newest 3rd gen. model available. Seems Rand McNally has partnered with them and now has a "Good Sam" custom labeled version. They show a RVND 7735 model available now which is probably the same as the RM 7730 the rep mentioned.
I think your right!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'm interested in the Rand McNally RVND 7720 7-Inch RV GPS with Free Lifetime Maps.

Have any of you used one of these units and would you recommend it, or not?

I have a Garmin unit which is OK for the car, but I want something that would work well while towing.
I do have the 7720. Just came back from a 2500 mile trip. It did it's job. I had sent back garmin rv model. It got me lost three times.

I also installed voyager wireless camera to rear of airstream and use the Rand as monitor. It is slick, especially when changing lanes on interstate.