Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Camarillo , California
Radio antenna wiring question - 2007 Safari SE 25 SS

Searching for the wire(s) connecting roof top radio antenna to the back of the Sony stereo (upgrade package). It's an incredible rat's nest of wiring behind the Sony CD/Radio box!

I want to splice into the existing radio antenna connection to provide my little portable solar powered AM/FM/Shortwave radio with better reception. We usually dry camp, and don't want to use up battery amps running the factory installed Sony.

I did find a wire coming from the back of the Sony labeled "ANT" (right position and color, based on diagram in Sony manual), but it isn't connected to anything. Can't find a loose end in the rat's nest (so far) that might be the no-longer-attached wire from the antenna.

Anyone know what kind of wire(s) I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Should be a black coax type of wire. At least that's been my experience with auto and RV antenna wiring.

Chris

Old 12-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
don't cut wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Should be a black coax type of wire. At least that's been my experience with auto and RV antenna wiring.

Chris

Eckart,

The wire Chris is talking about looks like the wire end in the top right picture in the link below.

Click here to see it.

Radio Shack should have some type of adaptor that will allow you to plug it in like a Y or something.
YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPLICE INTO IT. YOU WILL GET STATIC.

Dan
Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I'm not sure about that?

I have looked for that on my unit. It is a real rat's nest back there. The reason I went looking for that is that the AM radio reception stinks. Even at home where we have strong stations close, the thing sputters and has a lot of static in it. I am guessing that the wire isn't plugged in all the way. The other possibility would be that the antenna on the roof isn't connected.

I looked for the coaxial wire back there and never found it. Either it isn't there meaning that it is a "regular" wire or it isn't there because it isn't plugged in.

I'd like to hear from somebody about this, because I have a tin ear and listen to AM.

Thanks, Randy
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
AM radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
I'd like to hear from somebody about this, because I have a tin ear and listen to AM.

Thanks, Randy
Come to think of it, AM does not work off of that antenna. You might look up the model on-line and see what you can find. If it is a Sony, and Airstream puts allot of them in their units, you might call them. Sony has pretty good teck support over the phone.

Dan

Tags
antenna, radio, safari, wiring