Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
PDQ OneSource Cell, WiFi and HDTV

Hi All,

I know this product has been discussed in other threads but yet to have seen any real data or reviews on it. We will be hitting the road early next year for full time rv living and working from the road so connectivity is essential. Having a one in all solution provide a few upsides:

Pros:

- One set of wires to run from the roof to the interior access point/s
- All in one solution, one antenna to maintain on the roof
- Again, wifi, cell booster and finally HDTV (HDTV not so important for us)

Cons:

- Cost but that is relative to what's in everyones wallet, some are in a position to drop over $1k and not worry, others of us need to plan theses upgrades on a budget.
- Single point of failure, i.e. antenna gets damaged and now have to wait for a replacement which could take weeks.
- As with most solutions, line of site is a key factor not only a problem for PDQ All Pro.

I was leaning towards the WeBoost RV 65 for cell amplification and RedPort Halo WiFi extender, well for WiFi. These 2 solutions together almost add up to the cost of the PDQ. I also do understand that any WiFi extender will be dependent on the WiFi source. Even if we amplify the Wifi signal, if the source upload and download speeds are weak, so will ours. It does NOT make the source WiFi any faster.

Any follow up experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hoagy
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It looks like a tidy package. The only thing about it that seems a bit dumb at that price is that it doesn't include an amp for the TV signal. For the total functionality and the one-antenna solution it seems like a competitive price to the other major players for a good mobile phone booster plus a good wifi booster.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Over the past couple of years I've been trying a number of options to get quality Wifi, Cell and TV coverage.
With that said I have a Verizon JetPack? which is fine for Wifi if I have a decent signal. But in an attempt not to use my "Verizon data plan" I went with a TechnoRV wife booster. The cost was about $150. Here's a link:
https://www.technorv.com/wifi-camp-pro-kit-2/
This link is for the "updated" unit that I have.
My experience is that the kit does work but I've found that all the campgrounds that we've stayed at "throttle the bandwidth" to the point that you really can't do much other than web browsing and email. Streaming "Youtube" or Netflix is out of the question. The "jetpack" however works very well with the latter.
This year I added a DishTV RV "Playmaker" satellite receiver. Total cost was about $350 bucks plus $7 a month added to my DishTV home system. Nice thing is you can "turn this service on or off" with just a phone call. This system is working really well.
Also, this year, I replaced the TV that came in my 22FB Sport which was an LG 24". The replacement was a 28" Samsung "Smart TV". Cost was about $200. The difference in the picture was pretty amazing plus I have all the "internet based apps" such as YouTube,Netflix included. There's a lot more, but these are my main sources I use.

With my HD tv needs met via the DishTV system my biggest desire is for quality Wifi. After my experiences with the trying to use "campground wifi" I've come to the conclusion that a "Cell boost" is probably the best route for me.

Recently, we stayed at a campground just north of Yellowstone Park. They offered the usual "run of the mill" wifi but for a "premium" would let you buy more "bandwidth" for $9 bucks a day.

If I were to do this all over again, I would forgo the "wifi boost" and just concentrate on boosting my cell signal and going that route. There are a number of options. If you are the DIY type here's a link to putting your own system together for around $250.

Here's a link:

Good luck
Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
Over the past couple of years I've been trying a number of options to get quality Wifi, Cell and TV coverage.
With that said I have a Verizon JetPack? which is fine for Wifi if I have a decent signal. But in an attempt not to use my "Verizon data plan" I went with a TechnoRV wife booster. The cost was about $150. Here's a link:
https://www.technorv.com/wifi-camp-pro-kit-2/
This link is for the "updated" unit that I have.
My experience is that the kit does work but I've found that all the campgrounds that we've stayed at "throttle the bandwidth" to the point that you really can't do much other than web browsing and email. Streaming "Youtube" or Netflix is out of the question. The "jetpack" however works very well with the latter.
This year I added a DishTV RV "Playmaker" satellite receiver. Total cost was about $350 bucks plus $7 a month added to my DishTV home system. Nice thing is you can "turn this service on or off" with just a phone call. This system is working really well.
Also, this year, I replaced the TV that came in my 22FB Sport which was an LG 24". The replacement was a 28" Samsung "Smart TV". Cost was about $200. The difference in the picture was pretty amazing plus I have all the "internet based apps" such as YouTube,Netflix included. There's a lot more, but these are my main sources I use.

With my HD tv needs met via the DishTV system my biggest desire is for quality Wifi. After my experiences with the trying to use "campground wifi" I've come to the conclusion that a "Cell boost" is probably the best route for me.

Recently, we stayed at a campground just north of Yellowstone Park. They offered the usual "run of the mill" wifi but for a "premium" would let you buy more "bandwidth" for $9 bucks a day.

If I were to do this all over again, I would forgo the "wifi boost" and just concentrate on boosting my cell signal and going that route. There are a number of options. If you are the DIY type here's a link to putting your own system together for around $250.

Here's a link:

Good luck
Pat
Thanks for the great feedback Pat.

In regards to the DIY cell booster do you think that the extra 15db gain (max 65db) with the WeBoost RV65 over the other WeBoost solutions which I believe only offer a max. 50 db is worth the cost? Cost is roughly ~$100 to go from 50 db to 65 db and includes the 25' mast with antenna. The 25' mast is another issue which I hear can take 30 min or so to set up depending on how you dial it in.

Thanks,
Hoagy
Old 05-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
PDQ OneSource Cell, WiFi and HDTV

I use a 50db weboost with surecall exterior antenna and large panel antenna inside the trailer. Works well for gaining 1-3 bars of LTE for mobile data.

For WiFi I have a pep wave soho and I don’t bother with amplification or an external antenna. I’ve stuck it to the front window of the trailer and it has 3 good sized antennas that are standard.

I used to have a WiFi ranger with external amplified antenna but I found it just wasn’t worth it, so I am staying put with the pep wave in my new trailer. Better administrative interface as well.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
A big part of keeping cost down - is knowing what your dealing with , then not looking at these as an plug-&-play appliance - cost lots more .
In this case " wifi , cell , HDTV " your talking about too many frequencies .
Wifi - 2.5 & 5 gig Hrz
Cell depending on service provider are a bunch of frequencies starting around 800 Mhz and up around 2.4 Ghz
Then broadcast/over the air TV a couple more bands 150 Mhz , 440 Mhz & 800 mhz .
And now you do not want to be without - anywhere your RV goes $$$
It can be done , BUT either you spend big bucks , or learn something about the subject so that you can setup a system yourself .
You are not going to get it all , not learn how work the different systems , and get it cheap - PICK 2 OF THE ABOVE ?
Answers can follow after picking .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post
A big part of keeping cost down - is knowing what your dealing with , then not looking at these as an plug-&-play appliance - cost lots more .
In this case " wifi , cell , HDTV " your talking about too many frequencies .
Wifi - 2.5 & 5 gig Hrz
Cell depending on service provider are a bunch of frequencies starting around 800 Mhz and up around 2.4 Ghz
Then broadcast/over the air TV a couple more bands 150 Mhz , 440 Mhz & 800 mhz .
And now you do not want to be without - anywhere your RV goes $$$
It can be done , BUT either you spend big bucks , or learn something about the subject so that you can setup a system yourself .
You are not going to get it all , not learn how work the different systems , and get it cheap - PICK 2 OF THE ABOVE ?
Answers can follow after picking .

Thanks for the feedback. HDTV or TV in general is not a priority. We do have 2 girls, 5 and 8 years old and we can put in a DVD in the evening or on a rainy day to keep them entertained but would rather have us playing some board games.

This cuts it down to 2, cell booster and WiFi and I am educating myself on the DIY options. Also seeing a trend where cell booster and having a myfi spot is where I may get the most bang for my buck. I can spend $$$ on top end WiFi boosters and at the end of the day if the WiFi access point I'm hitting is weak, overcrowded or password protected no amount of money will boost that signal and really not into hacking into peoples WiFi routers.

Been looking at the WeBoost RV 65 which is a little pricey but has all the key components in the kit and some recent reviews that are on the positive side. Yes, I could spend money on patching together a good cell booster but that would come with no warranty and sketchy customer support at best and since it would be a DIY I'm sure they'd probably say 'you're on your own'.

I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box but have I have 'learned' a few things, always pays to listen and learn from others or try, fail and try again (but that get's pricey) the failing part.

Any feedback on the RV 65 from WeBoost would be nice to hear.

Hoagy
Old 05-27-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I installed the PDQ One Source. The cell signal boost works very well, WiFi boost as you note will boost signal to keep you connected but minimal bandwidth will be just that until Starbucks opens a shop in every campground. I continue to use the Winegard RoadStar HDTV antenna as the HDTV over the air booster will not pass the One Source antenna signal (believe it is mated to the RoadStar).

I like the single antenna and one wire to run and if separate components of like quality were purchased, you would end up spending almost as much.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
I installed the PDQ One Source. The cell signal boost works very well, WiFi boost as you note will boost signal to keep you connected but minimal bandwidth will be just that until Starbucks opens a shop in every campground. I continue to use the Winegard RoadStar HDTV antenna as the HDTV over the air booster will not pass the One Source antenna signal (believe it is mated to the RoadStar).

I like the single antenna and one wire to run and if separate components of like quality were purchased, you would end up spending almost as much.
That is really good to hear! A few questions:

- How was the db boost, comparable or better than weBoost?
- Where did you mount antenna and run the wire from the antenna to the interior? I hear many people run wires down the bathroom exhaust pipe/outlet.

Thanks,
Hoagy
Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I'm interested in replacing my current Omni-directional antenna (factory installed 2017 Flying Cloud). Something that is more powerful to pickup a TV signal for now. Something that I could in the future add to for other benefits scud as cell and/or WiFi. What are my best options?

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagy_007 View Post
That is really good to hear! A few questions:

- How was the db boost, comparable or better than weBoost?
- Where did you mount antenna and run the wire from the antenna to the interior? I hear many people run wires down the bathroom exhaust pipe/outlet.

Thanks,
Hoagy
In my driveway I get 105 dB without the booster and 82 dB with the booster. I don't know what other locations will show as we have only been out once and the area we camped had LTE signal. Since upgrading the iPhone to IOS 10 it is more difficult to get dB measurement on the iPhone so will use a data throughput measurement in the future.

I mounted the antenna on the back of the rear AC cover (photo attached) and ran the coax down the refrigerator vent, drilled a hole in the compartment plywood overhead and fished it up to the side board in the TV recess and drilled a hole for the coax. The Bullet WiFi booster, router and splitter are mounted in the recess behind the TV and the cell booster is mounted on the underside of the overhead locker above the dinette.
Good luck in your decision!
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	312284  
Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagy_007 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. HDTV or TV in general is not a priority. We do have 2 girls, 5 and 8 years old and we can put in a DVD in the evening or on a rainy day to keep them entertained but would rather have us playing some board games.

This cuts it down to 2, cell booster and WiFi and I am educating myself on the DIY options. Also seeing a trend where cell booster and having a myfi spot is where I may get the most bang for my buck. I can spend $$$ on top end WiFi boosters and at the end of the day if the WiFi access point I'm hitting is weak, overcrowded or password protected no amount of money will boost that signal and really not into hacking into peoples WiFi routers.

Been looking at the WeBoost RV 65 which is a little pricey but has all the key components in the kit and some recent reviews that are on the positive side. Yes, I could spend money on patching together a good cell booster but that would come with no warranty and sketchy customer support at best and since it would be a DIY I'm sure they'd probably say 'you're on your own'.

I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box but have I have 'learned' a few things, always pays to listen and learn from others or try, fail and try again (but that get's pricey) the failing part.

Any feedback on the RV 65 from WeBoost would be nice to hear.

Hoagy

Being willing to do some learning / work yourself , makes a big difference .
I've got unlimited 3G [ not the bs advertising unlimited , but real ] for $5 per month , and will move to the 4G soon .
Heres a link to a youtube video , and lots of other RV living , for 3G cell data .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Could one just unscrew the existing Omni-direction mushroom head off the mounting, use the existing coax cable, and install the antenna to the existing mount?

2023 F150 XLT
Old 05-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Could one just unscrew the existing Omni-direction mushroom head off the mounting, use the existing coax cable, and install the antenna to the existing mount?
The coax for the Winegard RoadStar has RG6 75 ohm coax and PDQ supplies SC-240 low loss coax with the correct connector for their antenna. Also, the Winegard HDTV booster will not work downstream of the PDQ splitter. For those reasons I ran the separate coax and continue to use the installed TV antenna for over the air when not using Dish Satellite.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the mounting plate will work as well as the RG6 coax. Would need to install the correct connectors and replace the hardware; PDQ splitter and disable the Winegard booster. Would prevent running new cable and installing separate mounting bracket. Is all this accurate?

2023 F150 XLT
Old 06-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the mounting plate will work as well as the RG6 coax. Would need to install the correct connectors and replace the hardware; PDQ splitter and disable the Winegard booster. Would prevent running new cable and installing separate mounting bracket. Is all this accurate?
Correct. When I considered using the existing coax I was going to fabricate an aluminum plate with spacers to use the existing RoadStar mounting holes and attach the PDQ antenna marine mount to the aluminum plate. You could also find a compatible HDTV booster that will work with the PDQ splitter.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I’m just looking of a better, more dependable, stronger Omni directional antenna to replace the factory installed. This looked to be a good option but not getting an overwhelming feeling I should go the PDQ direction.

2023 F150 XLT