Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
New DIGITAL wireless backup camera

This may be the wireless camera solution. Digital should not have the interference issues with the old analog systems. This one is featured in this month's Trailer Life Magazine.

Wireless Rear View Camera System - Zone Defence - PPL Motor Homes

But the PRICE!!!! Ouch. Surely it'll fall as the technology becomes common and cheaper to produce.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That is quite a bit higher than I would be willing to pay for what it is. I think that it would need to be closer to $200 before I would have an interest.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
wvos511 voyager wireless backup camera system

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone that has actually installed the wvos511 voyager wireless backup camera system. Does it actually work as advertised?

I have found the system for as low as $650, so the price has started to drop.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I've put together a wifi based system in my 27' Safari - reception is fine with a wifi router in the front cabinet, tapping into power for the radio, and a wireless camera either inside under the rear overhead cabinet or on the rear of the trailer. The cool thing is you can use your choice of an iphone, droid or ipad as the receiver in your tow vehicle to view the picture.

I don't love the first camera I used - a Foscam F18903W wide angle camera from Amazon - it adds a little bit of lag time and the picture is not as smooth as I would like - so will probably upgrade to a nicer camera. But the concept works well - by using wifi you get no static and no interference and plenty of signal strength - and that was what was important to me.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Montreal , Quebec
I have installed the wvos511 voyager wireless backup camera. It does work as advertised and I am quite pleased with it. The reception is good and the picture is clear. It is extremely useful having audio for when you have someone guiding you back as they do not have to shout! Depending on how you have learned to back up, you will find it unnerving using just the camera as you cannot see which way the trailer is going even if you can see whats behind you. I still prefer to look over my shoulder and side and have someone guide me. However, it is brilliant on the highway; when joining, changing lanes. as you no longer have to guess whether you have enough room. It is also briliant when in tight lanes and pull throughs as you can guage what space you have behind you. I have to say I love it and it gives me a lot more confidence when towing but I would not use it for solitary backing up - my opinion anyway. Oh I should point out that the night time viewing while black and white is still good
Ginga69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Montreal , Quebec
One other point about the price - I paid the $700 and had it installed by my dealer. I did this after I had a slight altercation with a tree last year which dented my corner panel and damaged the awning mount - Cost for repairs $6000 - OK covered by the insurance and while I was a novice at backing up and I hope not to repeat my error, seeing my tail when towing and backing up has given me a lot more confidence and a small price to pay verses the cost of repairs. As I said I am still a novice, those experts that I watch with envy at camp sites who whip their RV's into place with just their mirrors will probably think it a total waste of money - like I said it depends on your skill level?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Montreal , Quebec
You can see that I have a lot to say on this subject! The camera is mounted between the rear top lights on the roof. The camera gets its power from these lights, so in order to use the camera you do need to have your lights on - I prefer to drive when towing with my lights on anyway - plus I think the AS looks better lit up! The camera plugs into a 12V connection in the car and secures well to the windshield. I rarely loose the signal but you will have to turn the volume down while driving as other cars make a hell of a lot of noise!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kingston , ON
Baby monitor as rear view camera

I just installed a Motorola MBP-36 (Motorola Baby Protector? to protect your baby, the trailer) Baby monitor as a rear view camera on my 31' Classic. Cost $200 at Best Buy. Had to make a little wooden frame for the camera to sit on, which I attached to the rear window valence (inside the back window). Also bought two 12 - 6 V DC converter at The Source to power the camera and the 3.5" monitor in the cab. Works great, although the infra-red lights reflect too much on the mosquito screen on the rear window to be much use in the dark.

The coolest thing is that the camera can be steered side to side and up/down by the monitor in the cab. I can even turn it around to look at the interior of the trailer!

The problem I had with locally available "back-up" cameras is that they only turned on in reverse. This camera system is on anytime you want it (or always).

The range for this wireless setup is supposedly 500', so plenty for trailers and TVs. There are cheaper baby monitors available, but this one had the longest range, and is steerable.

Paul
trvler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed the Voyager yesterday and had zero issues. The only awkward moment was getting the clearance light loose from the roof. (There are two friction clamps in the front and rear, but the sticky tape is REALLY difficult to gently pry loose.) Once I removed the lamp, it was easy to fish a wire from the hole I'd drilled. (About 4 inches below the clearance light.) Didn't like having a black camera, so I carefully masked the lens area and sprayed it with Aluminum paint so it wouldn't look so ugly. After I mounted the camera, I fabricated a piece of A/S aluminum to cover the base of the mount (over the four screws that I'd drilled into the trailer -- and used a lot of sealant, I might add). Turned on the clearance lights, plugged in the display and presto! a terrific view behind SilverLeaf....then I did a bit of camera adjusting. VERY wide angle lens. Taking a trip to New England tomorrow and I'll report back. Maybe pricey, but no wires and no hassles. That's worth $ to me.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Ok, I ordered the partial kit to this same camera with the lone receiver

RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Voyager Digital Wireless Add-on Camera System

I am hoping to use my LCD panel from my previous camera system. It is $495. Hopefully this will work better than that one for me- as per Ginga69's recommendation!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga69 View Post
I have installed the wvos511 voyager wireless backup camera. It does work as advertised and I am quite pleased with it. The reception is good and the picture is clear. It is extremely useful having audio for when you have someone guiding you back as they do not have to shout! Depending on how you have learned to back up, you will find it unnerving using just the camera as you cannot see which way the trailer is going even if you can see whats behind you. I still prefer to look over my shoulder and side and have someone guide me. However, it is brilliant on the highway; when joining, changing lanes. as you no longer have to guess whether you have enough room. It is also briliant when in tight lanes and pull throughs as you can guage what space you have behind you. I have to say I love it and it gives me a lot more confidence when towing but I would not use it for solitary backing up - my opinion anyway. Oh I should point out that the night time viewing while black and white is still good

Great info. that I will keep and use when we purchase ours!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am on a 1,500 trip. Yesterday was the first day with the Voyager. Wonderful! Today I wended my way through mountains in PA and could see the trucks as they were coasting and accelerating. Until now I didn't realize the value of seeing what's coming up behind me. Then, backing my new trailer and seeing behind me with my own eyes. Works faultlessly. Touch the on button on the display and there's the picture. Have the sound turned all the way down, but a very sensitive microphone as well. Haven't tried system at night, but will report back!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A funny story about wireless backup cameras from another site:

CF: I need a backup camera to see the trailer hitch
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
DDRUKER - quite interested in your solution for my 25FB. is it possible to identify which specific parts you used, how you hooked up the router; where did you place the camera wifi transmitter; how do you get the picture on an IPAD like device (is it an app to buy or ?).
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
New DIGITAL wireless backup camera

Anders,

If you're interested, my company provides a system like the one you're looking for that uses your iPhone for display. You can go to the website below for more info.

rvrearviewcamera.com

Fred Stokes
RV Rearview Camera Systems, LLC

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
DDRUCKER: I have the same questions at Anders79. I have an old Linksys WRT150N router. Will that work with your setup? Will the router transmit directly to the iPhone? You can see just how much I understand this stuff. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks
GLovedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ocean Springs , Mississippi
Voyager WiFi Back Up Cam is Ichiban (#1)

The purpose of this post is to share how to install a WiFi backup cam without drilling any holes.

My Airstream is a 25 foot Flying Cloud FB (forward bunk) and so I have a very large rear window along with overhead cabinets where the starboard side cabinet has a convenient 12volt outlet.

I use two suction cups obtained from Camping World along with 3 small bungee cords to suspend the cam inside the trailer. The camera is not perfectly aimed dead astern but the 10 degree error is manageable.

Having this cam GREATLY aids driving. The ole adage “objects are closer than they appear” would be well advised but knowing when no one is behind you for a quick lane change is a HUGE advantage.

While I choose not to use it for precise backing (the depth perception is too deceptive), it is handy to avoid hitting objects like power poles, picnic tables and the like.

All in all, I highly recommend the Voyager WiFi system and am now in my second year of its use so its longevity of reliability is at least a year old despite the extreme heat of direct sun exposure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyager WiFi BackUp Cam.png
Views:	363
Size:	585.0 KB
ID:	242945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suction Cups.png
Views:	267
Size:	621.1 KB
ID:	242946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BungeeCam.jpg