Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
seffner , Florida
Need TV antenna for digital TV on Land Yacht

Good evening all,

We have a 1972 21 foot Globetrotter . My wife is buying a new Digital TV

and according to the FCC we will be able to pick up broadcast channels in the

St. Pete area of Florida . No cable and no dish network . Just over the air .

I have zero idea on what kind of TV antenna I can buy and how I can easily

mount it on the trailer roof????? Any input is really appreciated !

Thanks , Joe
joseph lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check out the King Jack. Excellent reception when properly installed and aligned.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Jersey Shore Haven , Pennsylvania
Joe

There are so many options , but it all comes down to how close you are and what type of terrain your on. You can buy a simple interior type from $9 to $50 . I have used these in my house, but we are 2 miles from the 3 major local broadcasters. I get over 40 channels, but half are just public access type channels. I am just outside of Philadelphia, so there will be more choices. All the locals have 2 or 3 digital channels , some are classic movie channels, some are Lifestyle channels, ION TV comes in as well. but its enough that we have not had cable in 6 years.

Go to Amazon and type in Digital TV Antenna and you will see.

On a second TV I once jammed a coat hanger in a Coaxil cable and it worked.

and this could work , may have to add Tin foil

Amazon.com: RCA Indoor FM and HDTV Antenna: Electronics

It all really depends on where you are. There are some strong Exterior antennas that work well, I had one I used a while ago for $40, It worked well, but got blown down and I just went to a RCA interior one that works as well
JF83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
When the change to digital occurred it freed up a lot of bandwidth so there are now a lot more local broadcast stations. Many, if not most, are now broadcast in the UHF spectrum. Almost every TV antenna sold has the necessary elements to receive these signals as well as the traditional VHF band.

TV Antennas are almost all directional so you need something that you can move to pick up the most signals. The traditional Winegard works fine and I understand the jack antenna mentioned above is really good.

If you are going to homestead in St Pete, you can probably get away with the modern equivalent of "rabbit ears".

Travel safe,

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
To locate nearest OTA (Over The Air) broadcast stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc.), enter ZIP Code and address at link below:

AntennaWeb - Address

The Winegard crank-up antenna that has been standard equipment on Airstreams for years should work fine for OTA UHF digital television signals. Adding a Winegard "Wingman" to this antenna may improve UHF reception in fringe areas.

Winegard Wingman - Camping World

Note: If you have some form of older VHF antenna, you'll probably get better reception with a UHF antenna. If necessary, Google "photo UHF antenna" and "photo VHF antenna" to see examples of these antennas.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For digital TV reception, you need a digital TV. You do not need a new special "digital" antenna. You do not need an "HD" antenna. If your trailer has a functioning antenna, it should work just fine in picking up digital signals. If you have one of the oder antennas with the 300 ohm wires, you will need a 300 ohm-75 ohm adapter.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
The antenna portion isn't as important as the receiver you have i.e. digital TV or converter box. There is a wide range of antenna boosters out there that can aid in capturing more digital signals. I suggest trying the TV on it's own with an inexpensive set of today's equivalent to rabbit ear type antenna (I bought one for about $12)
Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Awchief

I let Chief influence my thinking after reading a previous post of his about the King Jack antenna. Wouldn't you know CW had it on sale for 38 bones. I was a bit frustrated at the constant "pixelation" of the picture every 2-3 min while watching. I can't tell you how mad I was tryna watch my Carolina Panthers in a playoff game at a campsite. Just as a big play happened, I'm looking at blocks of color, not blocks & tackles being made by their defense.
I tossed the old Winegard after installing the King Jack. I went with the simple "replacement head" unit. I spent more time positioning the ladder and myself on the roof than I did actually swapping out the antenna. I gained 12 channels after the install. Worth the $ IMHO. You can purchase it as a standalone, inside or outside antenna. You can pole mount it in your attic too. Nice unit.

Thanks Chief!
Now if we can just get the Panthers back into the playoffs this year.....
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I installed digital TV's in both of my trailers. Both still have the original antennas. While setting in my driveway at home, I can get 26 channels. While traveling, the quantity of channels varies, but 99% of the time I can get least at a few.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
With the King Jack, I couldn't get Jack. So I went back to the Wineguard.

Using the Wineguard Sensar (batwing) with the Wingman I get tons of stations.

I was even picking up Phoenix stations crystal clear from Quartzsite, AZ. I think it's about 135 miles away.

Mileage may vary...
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Hmm

Bill,
Was the LED light on the bottom of the King Jack illuminated after you installed it? At first mine was not. I had forgotten to push the button underneath the dinette for the pas-thru on the satellite. Did you have it pointed the correct way? It looks azz-backwards than what you would think would be normal.
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph lamb View Post

The Winegard Sensar series is the de facto standard for RVs. It is a roof mount antenna that stores flat against the roof for travel and has a hand crank mechanism that allows it to be raised and pointed at the signal source. Nearly all new RVs are equipped with one of these.

Winegard HA0130 is an older style that mounts on a side wall. Opens and closes like an umbrella from outside. Does not have to be aimed towards the signal source but as a result does not perform as well under some circumstances.

King antennas don't have the gain of the Winegard Sensar but work ok if you're close enough to the transmitter.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Jammer, do you have a King Jack or ever used one? I have no trouble getting channels over 70 miles away. I generally receive twice as many channels as I did with the winegard Sensar antenna.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
I was a bit frustrated at the constant "pixelation" of the picture every 2-3 min while watching.
That can sometimes be adjusted through the television menu; make sure it's set for the highest possible "refresh rate" if there is a menu option for that.

Sometimes it's the fault of the antenna. VHF is a different band from UHF, and the best setup is a "diplex" antenna. Diplex has separate UHF-band and VHF-band antennas in the same housing, rather than trying to use a single antenna for both that is optimized for neither band.

I don't know if the King Jack or Winegard are diplex. But it's a buzzword to look for in the advertising.

If you are using a diplex antenna, then it could be that the antenna is not correctly aimed for that broadcast.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
seffner , Florida
Antenna info

May I thank everyone out there for the great info !!!

Now I can get er done and keep everyone happy !!!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Jammer, do you have a King Jack or ever used one? I have no trouble getting channels over 70 miles away. I generally receive twice as many channels as I did with the winegard Sensar antenna.
I do not but I can see the gain difference from the design.

It is likely that there was something wrong with the Sensar you replaced. The amplifiers do fail over the years.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I replaced the head unit only. Amp is still place and being used. Actual experience when reviewing a product is invaluable for credibility.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I replaced the head unit only. Amp is still place and being used.
The amplifier in both the Sensar and the King are integral with the antenna head. The device with the switch and the LED, that is installed inside the trailer, is only a power supply for the amplifier on the antenna head. It works by applying a small DC voltage between the shield and center conductor of the coaxial cable leading to the antenna. The "antenna" connection of the power supply is capacitively coupled to the "output" connection so that the DC does not reach the TV.

Since you replaced the head of the Sensar with the King head, you replaced the amplifier, which had probably failed.

Quote:
Actual experience when reviewing a product is invaluable for credibility.
Hoom.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph lamb View Post
Good evening all,

We have a 1972 21 foot Globetrotter . My wife is buying a new Digital TV

and according to the FCC we will be able to pick up broadcast channels in the

St. Pete area of Florida . No cable and no dish network . Just over the air .

Thanks , Joe
We were just down that way last week, 46 channels came in on old wineguard amplified system, even after eliminating Spanish and selling channels we had more than a couple of dozen. While experimenting with antenna found crank up or down made a difference on reception, depending on channel some were better with it down almost touching roof. Being in close to broadcasters it didn't make a difference turning 360 degrees as it did up and down. Even had Starz channels show up on the menu but they were scrambled so no viewing.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
seffner , Florida
thank you

thanks to all for all the DIRECTION !!!