Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #1

1975 28' Argosy 28
Costa Mesa , California
My 454 Dieseled, Died, Then Nothing...

I bought a 1976 Argosy 28 this past summer. On weekends when I am not taking it somewhere, I start it up and let it idle a bit until the engine has warmed up (about 10 minutes). I did that this last weekend and when I turned it off, it seriously dieseled then lost all electrical power (no dash lights, radio, nothing). My first thought was that the dieseling has caused a battery cable to come lose; alas it couldn't be that simple. Anybody have any thoughts? I am very worried about my baby.
chigley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you lost all electric power the first place I would look is the positive post on the starter. Disconnect the battery and check that connection for looseness. If loose don't tighten it but remove the cable and clean it and the stud then tighten, but not Too tight as that stud is set in plastic.

Common problem with GM engines

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
There is also a power solenoid(relay) in the system that supplies power when the key is turned on. Mine was located close to my battery. If the connection is loose from the relay to the starter it will cause the problem as described.

Hope this helps.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Both good suggestions for the electrical concern.

Dieseling at shutdown...the engine is actually running bass akwards usually caused by a carbon hot spot in the cylinder.

Poor mans home Brew SeaFoam...

Blue washer solvent in a squeeze bottle.

Start 'er up, remove air cleaner, squirt a slow steady stream of blue washer solvent into carb/throttle body at an idle high enough to keeping it running for 5-10 seconds at a time. Repeat several times, road test, change oil & filter. Check timing, fresh gas.

FWIW...shut down in drive, it usually won't run-on.

Bob
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

1975 28' Argosy 28
Costa Mesa , California
Thank you for all the suggestions. We checked battery connections first and they seemed tight. We'll move on from there and hope we can return life to my baby.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Try....

....turning key on and moving shifter back and forth from park to low, turn key to start and try again. I believe the electrical portion of the ignition switch is on the lower portion of the steering column. I have also seen the IPC,(instrument panel cluster), fail shutting down key function.
Are any of the gauges working, red ign light, abs light etc with key on.

Bob
Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

1975 28' Argosy 28
Costa Mesa , California
Absolutely nothing is working. No dash lights, warning lights, nothing. And certainly no ignition.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Please check the starter terminal.

ALL POWER goes through the connection. That connection open over time because of expansion and contraction of the stud in the plastic. This causes an area for corrosion and eventually a complete open. If you can get to the input side of the distribution block, the wire coming up from the starter you can test there for voltage but I doubt you will have access to it without some trouble.

If you take the rig to a shop they will be happy to sell you a new starter after they tighten that connection.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote