Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #183
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk314 View Post
Hi all,

This winter, I hope to conclude my electrical work on the trailer. The last remaining bits are:
  1. 3000VA MultiPlus Inverter Charger
  2. Venus Controller
  3. More beefy inverter fuse & cabling

However, I know that I will need to hook everything together (VE.Direct cables?) and I will also need to replace my AC and DC distribution panels. Something tells me it would be better to do that than try to reuse the panels in the Progressive Dynamics setup.

Can someone help me put together a parts list to finish this work.

(Background: this year I added 300Ah Battle Born, 500w roof-top solar, Victron monitor, Victron solar controller) - so this will make my install much like the others discussed here.

Thanks!
I didn't replace my AC or DC panels in my 2018 when building my system but you could. I just removed the charger from the bottom of the existing system and rewired stuff. I used two separate little fuse panels under the twin bed. One for things I didn't want switched on and off by the use/store switch and one for things I did (in addition to the DC fuses in the existing panel.) That way I can turn off the majority of the trailer easily while driving with one flip of the switch but still have the solar charger working, fridge running, etc. When actually storing I disconnect the main line for the battery with the red Blue Sea switch.

The only other blue boxes you'd probably want is a Victron DC-DC converter to charge the battery from your tow vehicle while driving. I used the Orion-Tr
12/12-9. You'll also want the Digital Multi Control 200A GX to control the Multiplus on a day to day basis (turn on and off the inverter, set the current from the shore.) After that it's just odds and ends.

Here's a few pictures from my 25FB twin. The dimmer you see is for red lights installed throughout the trailer (we're astronomy nerds so ignore that.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	322224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	322225  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	322226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	322227  

__________________

daleyocum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #184
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 961
my as 22fb has very simialr parts. only one BB lion battery now , but space for one more

i didn't know they could be placed on their side

here is the view of my monitor area above the fridge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitoring upclose.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	322236   Click image for larger version

Name:	monitoring tools above fridge-with annotations.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	322237  

__________________

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #185
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5,985
Hi

Once you pull the converter from under the power panel, it makes a nice place to mount an "internal" EMS..... I haven't quite pulled the trigger on that, but I'm thinking about it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #186
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Once you pull the converter from under the power panel, it makes a nice place to mount an "internal" EMS..... I haven't quite pulled the trigger on that, but I'm thinking about it.

Bob
If you have a Multiplus hybrid inverter what other EMS do you need?
daleyocum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #187
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
If you have a Multiplus hybrid inverter what other EMS do you need?
Hi

EMS ( in terms of surge suppressor ) is at least as important with a very expensive hybrid as it is with a much less expensive converter / charger. The things it protects you from don't get taken care of by the Mulit.

EMS ( in terms of control panels) still is useful with a multi. I run a Venus. Others run Color Panels. One very basic function you need to manage is turning the inverter on and off (yes a three position switch will handle that). Being able to monitor and co-ordinate what the multi is doing can come in handy.

Yes, two very different things with the same abbreviation .... are we talking about a TV (27") or a TV (diesel) ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #188
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 961
the 3 position switch on the multi unit broke during install.
victron will not send me a part
i could not find any supplier that sells 0.05" pitch switches
all i could find were 0.1" pitch

i got the remote panel and it works 100%. now i can shut it off remotely

see it in my recent post above

i agree with uncle bob

EMS is a MUST

it is your first line of defense before all the expensive electrics.
It has saved our bacon a few times especially during brown outs
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #189
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
the 3 position switch on the multi unit broke during install.
victron will not send me a part
i could not find any supplier that sells 0.05" pitch switches
all i could find were 0.1" pitch

i got the remote panel and it works 100%. now i can shut it off remotely

see it in my recent post above

i agree with uncle bob

EMS is a MUST

it is your first line of defense before all the expensive electrics.
It has saved our bacon a few times especially during brown outs
Hi

If you search for 0.05" spacing switches you will not find anything. They are likely either 1 mm or 1.25 mm metric spacing leads ( or maybe 1.2 mm ... ). It's a crazy world !!!

======

I could probably head over to Mouser and narrow things down a bit. Trying to do that would trigger the "subscribe to the newsletter" popup. That would throw all this typing away .... guess we won't be doing that anymore ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #190
Rivet Master
 
2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
I could probably head over to Mouser and narrow things down a bit. Trying to do that would trigger the "subscribe to the newsletter" popup. That would throw all this typing away .... guess we won't be doing that anymore ...

Bob


But. You could save 10%! Subscribe today!

This cracked me up, as I also avoid Mouser, Newark and a few other sites for the same reason.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #191
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
the 3 position switch on the multi unit broke during install.
victron will not send me a part
i could not find any supplier that sells 0.05" pitch switches
all i could find were 0.1" pitch

i got the remote panel and it works 100%. now i can shut it off remotely

see it in my recent post above

i agree with uncle bob

EMS is a MUST

it is your first line of defense before all the expensive electrics.
It has saved our bacon a few times especially during brown outs
My point, poorly articulated, is since Multi handles low and high voltage conditions by its nature (you set parameters for them) surges are the only question mark that an EMS might help with. I wonder how good the built in surge suppression is within the Multi?
daleyocum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #192
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
My point, poorly articulated, is since Multi handles low and high voltage conditions by its nature (you set parameters for them) surges are the only question mark that an EMS might help with. I wonder how good the built in surge suppression is within the Multi?
Hi

Well.... not really. The Multi will try to boost a low voltage line. It's not really designed to cut off from a line in the same fashion an EMS is. It's more like a UPS. The EMS will totally isolate you (cut you off) when it sees a line go high or low.

If there is a surge suppression spec (or function) on the Multi, Victron has hidden it well. ( Surge suppression = clipping that 1,600V / 300A 10us wide spike on the line ).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #193
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,358
Images: 1
Bob - are your sure the multi plus will use the inverter capability to increase AC voltage? In my install, Iíve only ever observed input voltage = output voltage when using shore power / genset, even in Assist mode.

It will certainly supplement amperage, but I have not seen it make corrections for low input voltage (at least down to 107v)
wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #194
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Well.... not really. The Multi will try to boost a low voltage line. It's not really designed to cut off from a line in the same fashion an EMS is. It's more like a UPS. The EMS will totally isolate you (cut you off) when it sees a line go high or low.

If there is a surge suppression spec (or function) on the Multi, Victron has hidden it well. ( Surge suppression = clipping that 1,600V / 300A 10us wide spike on the line ).

Bob
I wonder, then, what the low voltage setting on the Multiplus is for if not to cut off at that voltage?

I’d sure love to talk with the engineers of this magical box to find out what it is really doing with regards to voltage boosting, surge protection, and voltage cutoff. Hard to test.
daleyocum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #195
3 Rivet Member
 
Llittle54's Avatar
 
2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 128
Iíve read the entire string, wow, lots of info. Iím now considering the Multiplus 2000, coupled with 2 100 ah Battleborns, I have 300 w solar and a Victron MPPT and a 30A system. My newest area of confusion is how to wire the sub panel. Hereís my assumptions (we all know what assume means), the Multiplus will allow for 2 circuits, one on only when AC is present and the other when the Multiplus uses its inverter. On the AC detected side I assume the water heater, air conditioner and fridge would be controlled. Do these all go on the same breaker? How would I wire the sub panel? Details on both the Multiplus circuits would be great!
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #196
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,358
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
Iíve read the entire string, wow, lots of info. Iím now considering the Multiplus 2000, coupled with 2 100 ah Battleborns, I have 300 w solar and a Victron MPPT and a 30A system. My newest area of confusion is how to wire the sub panel. Hereís my assumptions (we all know what assume means), the Multiplus will allow for 2 circuits, one on only when AC is present and the other when the Multiplus uses its inverter. On the AC detected side I assume the water heater, air conditioner and fridge would be controlled. Do these all go on the same breaker? How would I wire the sub panel? Details on both the Multiplus circuits would be great!


Do you have 30A or 50A service? Ie 1 air conditioner or 2?
__________________

wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading the solar charge controller from Atkinson to MPPT FlyFishinRVr Sprinter and B-van Forum 98 05-18-2018 11:46 AM
New MPPT Solar Controller Pahaska Sprinter and B-van Forum 1 01-07-2018 11:02 AM
New MPPT Solar Controller c21bill Sprinter and B-van Forum 4 10-09-2017 07:07 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.