Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Mobile Computing

What are you all using?
Micky D's free wi-fi?
A cell plug in?
Built in laptop hardware?
Soon, I hope, going on the road, need to stay in touch.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Virgin Mobile Wifi - unlimited plan
You might have to check their coverage map though...

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

We use wifi. Most campgrounds have something. Often the connections are slow and unreliable, particularly at wakeup time when everyone else is using.
We wouldn't use it enough to justify a wireless plan.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We travel extensively in Lucy (our Airstream) and need to be on the Internet every day due to our business. We use a hot spot on SuEllyn's Verizon cell phone. It works well all over the country and the speed is excellent. We like the hot spot as we can both be on-line at the same time.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Verizon, ATT, Sprint & others have USB modems that work very well I found Verizon has much better 3G coverage than ATT. I haven't used Sprint.

Some of the new Smart Phones act as a WIFI hotspot and have data plans you can also get a MIFI USB modem that acts as a hot spot.

The new plans start at 3GB per month for $39 up to 8GB for $80 and $10 per GB over what ever you signed up for.

A lot of people get the USB modem and use CG WIFI with their USB modem as back-up.

If you get a USB modem get one that has an antenna port and supports 4G.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
USB modem for us. Works very well in most cases.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Since we boondock WiFi is not a good option.. We have used a verizon cellphone as a modem for years and are rarely without coverage.

Just upgraded to a Verizon MiFi 2200 .
We also have an external antenna on the trailer and a Wilson Sleek amplifier.

We have been very happy with the Verizon service. Only have had a no service situation in part of Northeastern Ky in the last year.

I don't think there is much need to be concerned about 4G for a couple more years unless you are mostly around major population centers.

There has been some question on the data forums about whether the 4 g modems will fall all the way back to the slower 1 rxtt speeds in some extended areas.
All this will shake out i time
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
I just got back from a trip across Canada and messaged my home base by using theFacebook message app on my Blackberry. Good two way messaging every where except the wilds of North western Ontario. Once I got into a town, the app worked again. My plan includes unlimited messaging.
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We use an AT&T USB modem. Chose AT&T because that was the best deal at the time. Wished we had gone with Verizon as the AT&T worked well most everywhere except at our Walnut Grove CA home. In the last year, the AT&T service at home is improved and works just fine. When our two years was up with AT&T we nearly switched to Verizon, but found that the Verizon air card is not supported by our Netgear WIFI modem that accepts the AT&T air card. We use the Netgear WIFI modem to network our two laptops and our WIFI printer.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
One you can get on Verizon, the MiFi 2200 is the only way to go since its use is dependent on your cell phone coverage. We have one and it is great as it can have 5 independent wifi devices working at a time and is extremely small. There is no need for another router. I have used my Blackberry from Verizon on trips and tethered to the computer but it only allowed use on one computer. My husband and I had to keep taking turns with our computers as his was for work and my for pleasure. The MiFi takes care of that problem and still have use of our phones.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Tethering iPhone

Thinking about tethering my iPhone for my wifi -
Or getting one of those little Wifi hotspots -

Not sure how well that will work - sometimes my ATT signal is poor at best - even in town. Verizon????? They're looking interesting -

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
If your data needs are less than full-time, pay as you go USB modems are available from ATT. You pay for what you want. Something like $15-20 bucks for 200 megs used for up to 15 days, or 5 gigs for $30 spread over up to 30 days. No contract. I saw the devices at Wal-Mart for 75.00.

For those of us whom don't need full time data for laptop, it seems a workable solution. Wi-Fi where you can, and celluar access when you need it.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Verizon iPhone?

I am certainly a novice on this whole mobile phone, smart device, internet access, data plan stuff so I'm looking for ideas too.

Can anybody explain how the soon to be released (Feb 2010) Verizon iPhone will be better/different than the AT&T iPhone? I hear Verizon coverage is better in general compared to AT&T. We plan to travel anywhere and everywhere in the 48 states, Canada and maybe Alaska.

I guess with the iPhone I can use it as a hot spot for a computer. I want the fewest numbers of things to keep track of. I can deal with an iPhone and a computer. Maybe with those two things I can forget about satellite for TV and just use HULU and similar online offerings.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
AT&T iPhone Tethering: An Extra $20/Month—If You Abandon Unlimited Data

Here is a good article about the cost and limitations to using the iPhone as a tethered internet connection with AT&T. I don't believe Verizon has released any info on their iPhone tethering capability. I know Verizon will be a different version of the iPhone's AT&T signal processing (I'm not technically educated enough to know the difference!) Our area in Springfield has always had hit and miss 3G with AT&T...but Springfield Metro is getting better. Branson area now has 3G also, but it is not good at all on the North side. I reside on the south end of Table Rock and have 3G consistently now.
MO Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
AppleInsider | Verizon iPhone offers Wi-Fi tethering but no simultaneous data and voice [u]
Verizon iPhone Costs $199 For 16GB, $299 For 32GB… With Tethering! | Cult of Mac
Here is some articles on the differences with the AT&T and Verizon iPhones...and it looks like Verizon is offering a 3G Mobile HotSpot app included in their iPhone. From the sounds of this, the Verizon iPhone could be linked using the phone's internet signal.
MO Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There is extensive discussion of mobile computing and networking at rvforum.com, where there are a number of regulars who fulltime or are retired and traveling extensively. I would suggest that site as a better resource for non-Airstream specific aspects of wireless networking.

The aluminum skin of the Airstream does affect signal strength but the difference is not as dramatic as you might think. At the 800 Mhz-2.5Ghz frequencies at which wireless networking systems operate, radio waves come through the windows and skylights and bounce around the interior reasonably well.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Verizon USB modem, but switching soon to a Verizon phone with android os so that I can loose the modem.
According to my son (and a lady at Verizon), the android phones have a 3rd party software plugin that allows you to tether your laptop to the phone for broadband.
Then if you have unlimited internet on your phone you don't pay any extra. If you use the Verizon plug in for the same purpose, they charge you a monthly fee.
The lady at verizon said that she used the 3rd party plug in.
If you have a MacBook Pro, you become a hotspot and you can share your connection wireless-ly.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelgreen View Post
One you can get on Verizon, the MiFi 2200 is the only way to go since its use is dependent on your cell phone coverage. We have one and it is great as it can have 5 independent wifi devices working at a time and is extremely small. There is no need for another router.
The MiFi was not available when we got our air card and Netgear WIFI router. Today, I would take a serious look at the Verizon MiFi, as it is nice to be able to network WIFI devices such as laptops, scanners, printers etc.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
mobile broadband signal strength is a problem

We've been using a Verizon 3G card for some time now but our trailer degrades cellular signals significantly - perhaps due to it's dual interior/exterior aluminum skins. I have gone through a number of configurations but the one we have now works well for us.

I mounted a Wilson Shorty RV antenna on the refrigerator vent cover and ran the cable into a closet (no holes to drill in roof). The antenna cable plugs into the Verizon card and is a huge improvement - I usually always have a very strong signal and 1Mbs+ download.

The Verizon card slides into a compact Cradlepoint CRT500 WiFi router, giving us Wifi for both laptops, Skype phone, iPad.

Although the MiFi does the same thing, it does not have an external antenna port - also a problem with tethering our cell phones.

We just leave it running in the Airstream while towing and have WiFi in the truck and wherever we stop along the way. The cellular antenna is great - we have broadband many times when the cellphones have no bars.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Tafton , Pennsylvania
Ditto with Wayward. We have a very similar set up using a VZ USB and we get wireless on cell phones as well as an iPad for web surfing even while driving in the truck. It's great and beats the ATT cell service as a broad band connector hands down. We have no contract and activate it during the months that we are in the AS. A 5gig/mo data limit for $50/mo with the new 4G USB unit. If you have need for broad band, this beats McDonalds and can be secured. The whole set up is installed on closet wall and totally out of sight. There are less expensive ways to go, but I believe that this is the best way - acknowledging that technology will change before I can send this;-D
Go safely, Peter
nomad3622 is offline   Reply With Quote