Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
LED Brake/Turn Signal????

Hi all,

I just recently change out my 1157 auto bulb to LED. to one of these. 12-LED 12VDC replacement bulb 15mm 1157 Dual Intensity Bayonet Base. They look great. Now the problem I'm having is, when the trailer is plugged into the TV the brakes lights flash intermediately for no reason at all. I did not have this problem with the 1157 bulb. Does any one have ant ideas why this happens or what I need to do fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Attached Images

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It might be happening with your regular bulb, but it's so quick you can't see it. I'd check the condition of the socket and make sure it's very clean. Also check the ground wire for a good connection to the chassis/shell/frame.

Where did you get those?

Chris

Old 05-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
It might be happening with your regular bulb, but it's so quick you can't see it. I'd check the condition of the socket and make sure it's very clean. Also check the ground wire for a good connection to the chassis/shell/frame.

Where did you get those?

Chris
Sockets are clean, I'll check the ground wire see if that came loose. I purchased them from here.SUPER BRIGHT LEDS - LED Lights & Accessories I got them in the red color. I read on another post the red was better for the turn/brake than white. It seems to be brighter red on red. Thanks

www.petidforme.com/105
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
This is very common... the relay switch in your TV works with resistance (thermal flasher relay) with the bulbs... Since the LED bulb(s) don't draw very much energy there is very little resistance for the relay to work correctly... thus "the brake lights flash intermediately"!

So what is the fix? There is three ways to fix the problem!
1. Replace your turn signal relay in the tow vehicle. This can solve the problem but not always! I find the newer the TV the less times this seams to work, the lights are wired with things like cruse control and such so those other systems can be affected!

2. Add more LED lights to your system... If your side lamps are part of the circuit that sometimes can add more resistance.... but not always...!

3. Vinstream uses all LED lighting in our refurbished trailers so I ran across this problem before! A trick that I have come up with and works every time is to add one large old style bulb to each of the circuits! by placing a old style bulb to the turn signal circuit to the right and left side and one in the brake light circuit fixes the problem! The bulbs are placed in the fuse box area of my wiring harness!
The great thing about it is the old style bulbs only work when you turn your turn signal on and while the break lights on... the rest of the time they don't glow thus they only produce resistance when needed and are off the rest of the time! I place the bulbs in the fuse box area so they can be easily replace when they have to! By doing it this way I do not have to worry about what TV pulls a Vinstream Trailer, and know that they will never have a problem with "Brake lights flash intermediately"!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
3. Vinstream uses all LED lighting in our refurbished trailers so I ran across this problem before! A trick that I have come up with and works every time is to add one large old style bulb to each of the circuits! by placing a old style bulb to the turn signal circuit to the right and left side and one in the brake light circuit fixes the problem! The bulbs are placed in the fuse box area of my wiring harness!
The great thing about it is the old style bulbs only work when you turn your turn signal on and while the break lights on... the rest of the time they don't glow thus they only produce resistance when needed and are off the rest of the time! I place the bulbs in the fuse box area so they can be easily replace when they have to! By doing it this way I do not have to worry about what TV pulls a Vinstream Trailer, and know that they will never have a problem with "Brake lights flash intermediately"!

The above makes since to me. Would this be the same thing. The running lights I left as 1157 style bulbs. Would this be the same concept or idea as your suggestion? Or does adding the light to the fuse box make a difference?

www.petidforme.com/105
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wouldn't a load resistor accomplish the same thing, without the eventual burnt-out bulb? From the same website (scroll to the bottom of the page):

Super Bright LEDs - Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs

Chris
Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I have used a load resistor too... but have found that they do not always work... I am not totally sure why; but, my hunch is that the load resistor does not heat up as quickly as a bulb to then tell the thermal relay to switch for off to on or on to off... It comes down to the relay that is in the TV not anything to do with the LED's.

I have placed a copy of the resistor I have used!

As far as your question 1953 Flying.... I have found it only takes one old style bulb to relay the correct info to the relay(s) in the TV. I placed the bulbs in my fuse box because i tend to do thing over the top! But as long as you have one old style bulb per circuit it should work every time
Todd
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LED Restistor Kit-2.pdf (26.0 KB, 51 views)
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Wouldn't a load resistor accomplish the same thing,

Chris
Having the resistor in the socket would be nice.

Click here to see one.

fix
Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
I have used a load resistor too... but have found that they do not always work... I am not totally sure why; but, my hunch is that the load resistor does not heat up as quickly as a bulb to then tell the thermal relay to switch for off to on or on to off... It comes down to the relay that is in the TV not anything to do with the LED's.

I have placed a copy of the resistor I have used!

As far as your question 1953 Flying.... I have found it only takes one old style bulb to relay the correct info to the relay(s) in the TV. I placed the bulbs in my fuse box because i tend to do thing over the top! But as long as you have one old style bulb per circuit it should work every time
Todd

Thanks for the information. I guess I will try the bulb idea first, since I have some extras lying around. If that doesn't work, I'll have to come out of pocket to buy the resistors.

www.petidforme.com/105
Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
if those #194 marker lamp bulbs will work i'd use those. they generate a LOT less heat.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake lights, led, turn signals