Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Certifiable

. , .
iPhone review

I haven't seen anyone here talking about their new iPhone.

Or maybe my search skills aren't up to snuff.

Surely someone on these forums got one, no?

Or are you all still too busy playing with it?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
I haven't seen anyone here talking about their new iPhone.

Or maybe my search skills aren't up to snuff.

Surely someone on these forums got one, no?

Or are you all still too busy playing with it?
Everyone was standing in line to hear the IBT Delegates meeting and missed the first wave of iPhone sales!

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Is it made of aluminum? Is it made by Airstream?
Cingular/ATT does not even have a store in Montana. Verizon has the best coverage out west. I sticking with my Treo 700.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I lost interest in it the moment I heard that it is only available for a single service provider. And that provider is not my first choice.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I went to the Apple store in SLO and played with one for about 15 minutes. It was totally cool and easy to use...easier than expected. The display was primo. Excellent picture dispaly and video. I didn't try the phone though, but what the hey...a phones a phone...Is it worth the money? Not in my book...yet.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's a little rich for my blood, but the idea of only having to carry one item in my pocket instead of a phone and an ipod is very tempting. Maybe the price will come down over time.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up Our sons review

Our son in San Diego has been waiting for them to come out since his contract was up a month or so back. He waited 2 days after release to go get one - no lines. He loves it. When he called (to tell us he put it on our credit card! - he's sending a check(??) - aren't kids great) the connection was better than any previous phones he has had. He's thrilled with it so far.
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We just renewed our contract for another two years, so I won't be running out and buying one. Maybe by then they will have the bugs worked out of them.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
A friend of mine purchased two of them for ebay purposes. He couldn't help but open one and activate it though. He went through the features and doodads over iChat on Sunday with me. It's extremely cool...as cool as advertised from what I can see. The web, video, ipod, touchscreen interface is amazing. No doubt there will be bugs to work out of a brand new product but it appears the iPhone will come close to living up to the hype. I do beleive people will be scared away more by the cost of the plans than anything else once the initial frenzy dies down.

He offered the other one to me but being in Canada it would be an expensive, first revision paperweight. There's "currently no plans to release the iPhone in Canada" according to various sources but some have it pegged for Christmas or early 2008 release on the Rogers (GSM) network.

b.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Duane (dpandorf) saved me the $500-$600 for one this weekend by calling me with the results of the MOHO vote when we had to leave Saturday for a weekend on the boat. Thanks, Duane.

I'd told Barb Friday evening when I was following the iPhone first sales, I didn't see any reason to buy one. She reminded me I could have web surfing and email out at anchor. I said, "Thanks, honey! Now I have a reason to buy one." She replied, "Me and my big mouth." When we had to leave Saturday while listening to the delegates meeting, she said, "if you had an iPhone, we could follow along in the truck." That's when I got the idea to ask in the chat room if anyone could call me with the results.

Yes, they're cool, but we get by with the little Nokia Cincinnati Bell/AT&T provided free when they switched us to GSM, and a grandfathered plan with less than their current minimum minutes. Heck, we're just now upgrading from dial-up to DSL and that's only because of the $10/month plan that was the result of the merger.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is a guy that I know that bought one and went so far as to add a step by step of most of the exp (and pics):

http://web.mac.com/mjfuller/mattjfuller/mattjfuller.com_blog/Entries/2007/6/30_Day_of_the_iPhone.html
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We will start our extended travels on July 20th and may live in our Airstream for 6+ months waiting for our new home to be built. We will definitely buy 1 or 2 iPhones. There is nothing remotely comparable. Having the internet on such a mobile device along with music, podcasts, calendar, phone, photos and more is just too compelling to pass up.

And, to those who say that they will wait until the bugs are fixed, all I can say is that you've been conditioned to believe that quality isn't likely in release 1 products. That's sad, and from all accounts is not true with the iPhone or frankly with any Apple product that I've used in years and years. If you are expecting perfection, then the wait will exceed your mortality. If you want superior products, stick with people who make quality and excellent customer experiences their first priority.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:14 AM   #13
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Here is a guy that I know that bought one and went so far as to add a step by step of most of the exp (and pics):

http://web.mac.com/mjfuller/mattjfuller/mattjfuller.com_blog/Entries/2007/6/30_Day_of_the_iPhone.html
Cool review. Just make sure you have a paperclip handy.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
On reason I am holding off is until they get it on the new and faster AT&T network and get better sync ability with some of the groupware stuff out there. I agree it's a heck of a phone, and with a all Mac school district, it makes a heck of a lot of sense for work to replace the Black(and Blue)berry with these, but only if they play better in the buisness world. For an individual though, there are few reasons why not to jump on if you have the means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
Cool review. Just make sure you have a paperclip handy.
Would you expect anything eles? Matt is right, after the iMac, we've all had paper clips handy...a lot of us tech heads actually thought one day there would be an LL/A model number for an Apple iClip one day, from Apple.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #15
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Walt Mossberg's review of the iphone

I have been following Mossberg's review of the iphone in the WSJ, here's a link The Mossberg Solution - WSJ.com
didn't have to log on to get to it.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
There are literally dozens of reviews, impressions, tours, etc. of the Apple iPhone on the internet. The Apple tours are especially helpful, too.

So, if anyone is interested in researching this I suggest going to the Apple site at Apple or to a site that links to all sorts of Apple-related news MacSurfer's Headline News™. Lastly, MacWorld has a pretty comprehensive review on its web site at Macworld: Review: Apple iPhone.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
For those that would like one and are holding out for the next update or when they come down in price I wouldn't hold your breath.

First of all, I don't think it will ever come down in price. When they do update it, it will come with more memory and once AT&T has more 3G network capability it will have that too. But the price of these newer machines won't cost less. They'll be close to what they are now with more features.

I would guestimate though that if you bought one now, you could sell this 1st gen version for more than you think on eBay when the next gen comes out.

Apple products do hold their value more than other computer makers. I think the iPhone won't be any different.

If you have to have one and 8 gig of memory is enough for your photos/movies then this would definitely keep you from carrying around a couple extra devices.

I'm kind of liking the idea to be able to search phone numbers/addresses while on the road. Granted my company provides me with a Blackberry but I'm not supposed to use that for personal stuff

Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Does anyone know if they've made the battery more accessible? That has been my only complaint with the iPod. The battery life never quite lived up to expectations, and when it finally became intolerable I had to go buy an aftermarket battery and install it myself. I was pretty displeased with the concept of a dead battery making my $300 toy obsolete! I certainly wouldn't want to buy into an even more expensive iPhone and have the same thing happen in a year or two.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Does anyone know if they've made the battery more accessible? That has been my only complaint with the iPod. The battery life never quite lived up to expectations, and when it finally became intolerable I had to go buy an aftermarket battery and install it myself. I was pretty displeased with the concept of a dead battery making my $300 toy obsolete! I certainly wouldn't want to buy into an even more expensive iPhone and have the same thing happen in a year or two.
Same concept as the iPod Stephanie. The reports I've heard is prior to release they did make some modifications to get better battery life but it is not user changeable. The reports also said the battery does better than most all of the other smart phones. Actually you're talking a $600 toy obsolete when the battery quits.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
From what I understand it is still somewhat difficult to get to the battery, then when you do, it is soldered to the logic board. (I skimmed through one of those "We take an iPhone apart" Web sites the other day.)

Here's the link to the disassembly.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote