Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #15
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Walt Mossberg's review of the iphone

I have been following Mossberg's review of the iphone in the WSJ, here's a link The Mossberg Solution - WSJ.com
didn't have to log on to get to it.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
There are literally dozens of reviews, impressions, tours, etc. of the Apple iPhone on the internet. The Apple tours are especially helpful, too.

So, if anyone is interested in researching this I suggest going to the Apple site at Apple or to a site that links to all sorts of Apple-related news MacSurfer's Headline News™. Lastly, MacWorld has a pretty comprehensive review on its web site at Macworld: Review: Apple iPhone.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
For those that would like one and are holding out for the next update or when they come down in price I wouldn't hold your breath.

First of all, I don't think it will ever come down in price. When they do update it, it will come with more memory and once AT&T has more 3G network capability it will have that too. But the price of these newer machines won't cost less. They'll be close to what they are now with more features.

I would guestimate though that if you bought one now, you could sell this 1st gen version for more than you think on eBay when the next gen comes out.

Apple products do hold their value more than other computer makers. I think the iPhone won't be any different.

If you have to have one and 8 gig of memory is enough for your photos/movies then this would definitely keep you from carrying around a couple extra devices.

I'm kind of liking the idea to be able to search phone numbers/addresses while on the road. Granted my company provides me with a Blackberry but I'm not supposed to use that for personal stuff

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Does anyone know if they've made the battery more accessible? That has been my only complaint with the iPod. The battery life never quite lived up to expectations, and when it finally became intolerable I had to go buy an aftermarket battery and install it myself. I was pretty displeased with the concept of a dead battery making my $300 toy obsolete! I certainly wouldn't want to buy into an even more expensive iPhone and have the same thing happen in a year or two.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Does anyone know if they've made the battery more accessible? That has been my only complaint with the iPod. The battery life never quite lived up to expectations, and when it finally became intolerable I had to go buy an aftermarket battery and install it myself. I was pretty displeased with the concept of a dead battery making my $300 toy obsolete! I certainly wouldn't want to buy into an even more expensive iPhone and have the same thing happen in a year or two.
Same concept as the iPod Stephanie. The reports I've heard is prior to release they did make some modifications to get better battery life but it is not user changeable. The reports also said the battery does better than most all of the other smart phones. Actually you're talking a $600 toy obsolete when the battery quits.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
From what I understand it is still somewhat difficult to get to the battery, then when you do, it is soldered to the logic board. (I skimmed through one of those "We take an iPhone apart" Web sites the other day.)

Here's the link to the disassembly.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #21
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
On battery life, Mossberg said..

" Like the iPod, but unlike most cellphones, the iPhone lacks a removable battery. So you can't carry a spare. But its battery life is excellent. In our tests, it got seven hours and 18 minutes of continuous talk time, while the Wi-Fi was on and email was constantly being fetched in the background. That's close to Apple's claim of a maximum of eight hours, and far exceeds the talk time claims of other smart phones, which usually top out at five and a half hours."

OTOH, I read in that there was a problem with transfer of original cell numbers for some with the iphone, so some folks are still troubleshooting not having their numbers, etc.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #22

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
ok, I got one.

Despite the fact that I usually steer clear of revision 1 of anything, I couldn't resist getting my new iPhone. I am very impressed by the touch screen. I have never used or seen one that worked so well. I'll admit, there a few things that my Nokia smart phone can do the the iPhone cannot such as bluetooth file transfers and ssh but overall this thing is nothing short of revolutionary. AND DURABLE! check this link...
Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
T-Man,

You're one of the lucky 1,000,000 or so. I just checked the Apple site to see whether our local store in Corte Madera had any iPhones in stock (they along with 17 other stores in California sold out on the first day) and alas no. I checked other stores in California, but all stores were sold out. I did notice two in Oregon and one in Utah that had iPhones today. A bit of a long ride though.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
I did notice two in Oregon and one in Utah that had iPhones today. A bit of a long ride though.
Pack up that trailer and roll man!

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
T-Man,

You're one of the lucky 1,000,000 or so. I just checked the Apple site to see whether our local store in Corte Madera had any iPhones in stock (they along with 17 other stores in California sold out on the first day) and alas no. I checked other stores in California, but all stores were sold out. I did notice two in Oregon and one in Utah that had iPhones today. A bit of a long ride though.
There are plenty of both models from what I'm told, here in Illinois. PM me if you want to try to get one sooner than later.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Not so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
There are plenty of both models from what I'm told, here in Illinois. PM me if you want to try to get one sooner than later.
According to Apple, all 5 Illinois stores were out of iPhones by Tuesday. The Glendale store in Wisconsin and the West Des Moines store in Iowa and the Roseville store in Minnesota supposedly had iPhones on Tuesday, but may be out by now.

Our son called us on a display iPhone from the Michigan Avenue store on Monday and apparently the store had only a few of the 4 gig models for sale. The 8 gig model is far and away the most popular with some reports saying the over 90% of the sales are of the larger capacity versions. BTW the sound quality was quite good despite the background noise in the store.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
From what I understand it is still somewhat difficult to get to the battery, then when you do, it is soldered to the logic board. (I skimmed through one of those "We take an iPhone apart" Web sites the other day.)

Here's the link to the disassembly.

Susan
The soldered to the logic board would be a deal breaker for me even if it was under $50. And I even have a Mac.

Vaughan
Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
Same concept as the iPod Stephanie. The reports I've heard is prior to release they did make some modifications to get better battery life but it is not user changeable. The reports also said the battery does better than most all of the other smart phones. Actually you're talking a $600 toy obsolete when the battery quits.
It costs $85 and 3 businesss days to get a new battery installed. This includes a check up of all parts and a clean-up. Just like the iPod.
I read somewhere you can even get a temporary iPhone if you di it through an Apple store.