Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
INTERNET Updates?

So I did my research last year about internet and I never really was satisfied by the results. WIFI Boosters seem ok but they only help if you can get an open WIFI signal. So that for me is out.

I think I have settled on using a 3g/4g booster antenna and using Sprint's service to power my internet needs. I found this antenna which seems solid.

What else do I need to complete this setup? Just a router? What should the Antenna plug in to?

Any other advice? Thanks!!!

crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
INTERNET Updates?

The wifi ranger stuff allows an air card or mifi device to be plugged in, as well as boosting wifi signals captured from many sources.
I use the go, mobile, and jet pack together.... Work great. After a few company growing pains, the new firmware is great and customer service great as well.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Not sure what MIFI device you have, but I have a Pantech Jetpack from Verizon (and used to have a Novatell MIFI which did the same thing) and it will support up to ten simultaneous wireless tethered users so it is my router as well. Our phones, iPads, laptops and printer/scanner/fax are wirelessly connected to the Pantech and can communicate with each other. The only other device we have is an antenna booster with an externally mounted antenna that helps to bring signal past the aluminum skin of the Airstream. Sounds like you have what you need already!

Be aware that Sprint is probably the weakest network in terms of coverage outside urban areas. Depending on where you travel , this may become an issue for you. If this is the case and you want to rely on bringing in a campgrounds relatively weak wifi signal into your camper, then you will need one of those wifi booster devices. There are lots of threads about those so use the search function to find them. I have not used them and cannot offer you any advice.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed both the WiFi Ranger and the Verizon MiFi remote antenna on top of the refrigerator exhaust shroud. We put a 120vac outlet in the street side roof locker next to the refrigerator to power the Ranger system. Thus we can use either an existing WiFi network in a RV park or create one using cellular data.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You know.... the wfr all runs on 12 volts! You can ditch the wall wart and directly wire it into the Airstream 12v system. This way you have power and connectivity even without an inverter or shore power!

Just saying.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
switz - I like your style, but I am trying to save some money. That deal sounds like you are talking, $600 for the Wifi Ranger and then an additional $100 for the MiFi as well as a monthly payment right?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Not sure what MIFI device you have, but I have a Pantech Jetpack from Verizon (and used to have a Novatell MIFI which did the same thing) and it will support up to ten simultaneous wireless tethered users so it is my router as well. Our phones, iPads, laptops and printer/scanner/fax are wirelessly connected to the Pantech and can communicate with each other. The only other device we have is an antenna booster with an externally mounted antenna that helps to bring signal past the aluminum skin of the Airstream. Sounds like you have what you need already!

Be aware that Sprint is probably the weakest network in terms of coverage outside urban areas. Depending on where you travel , this may become an issue for you. If this is the case and you want to rely on bringing in a campgrounds relatively weak wifi signal into your camper, then you will need one of those wifi booster devices. There are lots of threads about those so use the search function to find them. I have not used them and cannot offer you any advice.
When I cancelled Verizon bundle to the house I signed a 2 year contract with Sprint. Unfortunately it doesn't work where I spend the majority of my time: 3 months Fla. Panhandle 6 months western Pa. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Millenicom offers cheaper rates for Verizon

I've been planning on using Millenicom, they are a virtual network operator; they are reselling TMobile, Sprint & Verizon service. Basically they bought up network bandwidth wholesale and resell it to consumers at a discounted rate.

Their 20gb a month plan for $89.99 is far less than VErizon's. You get the same mifi that verizon provides, Millenicom literally just puts they're sticker over verizons.

They're unlimited plan is for Sprint, so be forewarned. They also offer no contracts.

My wife works for Basecamp, and they have provided her a Verizon Mifi and 5gb plan. So we intend for her to work using that, and then provide our own secondary system for my work and personal internet needs. Again, going thru Millenicom.

Outside of that, we have Ham/cb and 2gb plans for our iphones on Verizon already.

Wifi ranger is a solid route from all the reviews I've found. Probably the first investment I will make when I bring home our Airstream.

Being both remote workers who rely on the web, it's important to us.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Do you use those MiFi devices without and external antenna? Has that caused any issues? Weak signals? Etc?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Usually they provide perfectly usable Internet. For my it is a very rare occasion my JetPack fails to provide me with service. Yellowstone NP is the only place I have not received signal with an antenna.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Arrow How do you connect a mifi to your antenna?

Hopefully this question doesn't fall outside of the context of the topic here, but I'm looking at my wife's Jetpack right now. It's a Pantech, no model # written on it, but very new. Only has a micro-usb port. I'm curious how anyone hooks their hot spot devices up to their antennas? Do you have a booster cradle?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have the older version (non Pantec) which has an antenna port.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Well, feeling rather silly, I just learned were the external antenna port is..

I did not even notice it to be honest.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
Well, feeling rather silly, I just learned were the external antenna port is..

I did not even notice it to be honest.
What kind of antennae does one use with the Pantech mifi device? I currently have a Wilson device (cradle) which heats up so badly that I am concerned that it will cook my Pantech or more specifically the battery and would like to just plug in an antennae as shown above.