Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Northern , Wisconsin
Ideas for roof mounting Omni antennas w/o crank up TV antenna?

I'm looking to roof mount two Omni antennas (http://3gstore.com/product/3623_cell...t-cm-wifi.html and http://3gstore.com/product/3047_3g4g...i-antenna.html) for Wifi and Cell connectivity. I have a '16 25FB without the crank up TV antenna, which seems to be a common place to mount these type of Omnis. I just have the disk type TV antenna.

I'm looking for ideas for permanently (or easy semi-permanently) mount these two antennas to the roof. Should I just get a cast iron pipe base flange and VHB/glue it to the roof for the mount? Do I need to get the antenna above the A/C unit?
dustent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustent View Post
I just have the disk type TV antenna... I'm looking for ideas for permanently (or easy semi-permanently) mount these two antennas to the roof.
I'm in the same situation and also looking for suggestions.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
It has long been custom in the Airstream world to run additional wiring, (solar, radio/TV coax, etc) through the refrigerator chimney and mount the antennas to the cover.

No new holes in the skins.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Antenna Mast

Have you thought about using a collapsible flag pole for a mast? You would be able to get the antenna higher after you have set up camp and anyway, you don't use the cell booster in the trailer while driving. When you are ready to break camp, just collapse the antenna and stow it away. I use a telescoping boat hook that is about 12' long and find it handy for holding low hanging branches out of the way when backing in to a site.

I have been thinking of using the cable tv coax connector on the side of the coach and rewire it to my cell booster inside.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Northern , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Have you thought about using a collapsible flag pole for a mast? You would be able to get the antenna higher after you have set up camp and anyway, you don't use the cell booster in the trailer while driving. When you are ready to break camp, just collapse the antenna and stow it away. I use a telescoping boat hook that is about 12' long and find it handy for holding low hanging branches out of the way when backing in to a site.

I have been thinking of using the cable tv coax connector on the side of the coach and rewire it to my cell booster inside.
That is certainly a possibility, although I really like the "mount it and forget it" approach. I understand I may not get the best of the best signal without going higher or directional, but having the omnis on top of the tin can should be sufficient to make the signal usable in most of the instances we run into. Not trying to spend all my time doing setup and tear down.
dustent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Does your 25fb have the metal deflector between the fridge vent and air conditioner. If it does I'd attach them to it and use the vent for passing wires.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I mounted my Omni antenna on an L bracket riveted to the center top of the trailer. Then I ran the cable into the nearby refrigerator vent and down and out behind the TV by the dinette table in our 2016 Claasic. In our previous flying cloud 25 front bed model the Omni antenna was also mounted near the refrigerator vent and run down through that vent into the wardrobe beside the refrigerator. In both cases I used a cellular amp connected to a Verizon hotspot inside the trailer. That setup works very well for increasing cellular reception.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
KI7HVV

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Smile

Quote:
I'm looking to roof mount two Omni antennas (http://3gstore.com/product/3623_cell...t-cm-wifi.html and http://3gstore.com/product/3047_3g4g...i-antenna.html) for Wifi and Cell connectivity. I have a '16 25FB without the crank up TV antenna, which seems to be a common place to mount these type of Omnis. I just have the disk type TV antenna.

I'm looking for ideas for permanently (or easy semi-permanently) mount these two antennas to the roof. Should I just get a cast iron pipe base flange and VHB/glue it to the roof for the mount? Do I need to get the antenna above the A/C unit?
This is how I did ours. Hope this gets you to thinking.

I designed a telescoping antenna mast using PVC Pipe for our 23FB. To a section of the upper mast I mounted an omni and directional antenna. The lower part of the mast screws onto a plate which I then slip under the power jack which holds the antenna mast hard to the ground. Two LMR 400 coax cables run down to an antenna switch installed into a weatherproof box which I lay on top of the battery box. A single LMR 400 coax cable then runs from the box under the A-Frame to a lighting arrester then continues up through a pre-existing hole in the belly pan into an area under the bed which houses the inverter and other wiring. I installed the cell phone signal booster in this location and ran wiring for power (DC) to a switch located at the bed stand. To finish the project I ran smaller coax for the interior broadcast antenna into the curb side closet by the bed. I only had to drill one hole to access the closet. Everything disassembles for easy storage
DORA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Thinking outside the box— get yourself some telescoping flagpoles. Mount the antennas to the tops of the flagpoles. They're not permanent installs, but a flagpole base mounted to the front of your trailer is a common modification, and it's easy to take the flagpoles down and store them inside when you're in transit. Plus, by having the antennas mounted to the front of the trailer, you're less likely to have problems with overhanging vegetation even at a wooded campground— the antennas will be closer to the road.

These poles: https://www.amazon.com/Flagpole-Go-2...oping+flagpole, are less than 1½" in diameter and have a shipping weight (including the box they come in) of only 2 pounds, but extend to a length of 20 feet.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I use a pair of our (AM Solar) extended 'L' bracket feet that we use for solar panel mounting. One foot goes on either side of the Sure Call aluminum mounting plate. A pair of 1/4-20 stainless bolts hold the Omni to the base, and the entire unit gets bonded (NO HOLES!!!) to the roof using 3M VHB tape and SikaFlex 221.

Haven't lost one yet!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
hdtv antenna ?

not sure where to put the question...but this gadget is talked about,a 1 byone indoor amplified tv antenna 50 mile range etc,available on amazon for$ 24.99 you put it on a window etc..anyone tried this???might be great to have in a campground with poor reception ???
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
not sure where to put the question...but this gadget is talked about,a 1 byone indoor amplified tv antenna 50 mile range etc,available on amazon for$ 24.99 you put it on a window etc..anyone tried this???might be great to have in a campground with poor reception ???
Hi

To save time, just send the $25 to me and don't hook anything to the TV. Your results will be roughly the same as running one of those antennas in an RV and I'll .... burp ... have another case of beer

You need something that at leasts mounts on the roof of the trailer. As mentioned above, getting the antenna *above* the roof is a really good idea. Anything inside the window screens / aluminum shell is going to have problems. Anything low(er) to the ground will have trouble.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Manvel , Texas
Quote:
That is certainly a possibility, although I really like the "mount it and forget it" approach. I understand I may not get the best of the best signal without going higher or directional, but having the omnis on top of the tin can should be sufficient to make the signal usable in most of the instances we run into. Not trying to spend all my time doing setup and tear down.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread... How did you end up mounting your antennas?

I'm thinking of getting a WiFi Ranger (unfortunately I still have to maintain connectivity with work and the world while we're traveling...) and am suffering from the same dilemma regarding antenna mounting...

Thanks.
bmc5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I use a pair of our (AM Solar) extended 'L' bracket feet that we use for solar panel mounting. One foot goes on either side of the Sure Call aluminum mounting plate. A pair of 1/4-20 stainless bolts hold the Omni to the base, and the entire unit gets bonded (NO HOLES!!!) to the roof using 3M VHB tape and SikaFlex 221.

Haven't lost one yet!!!!
This guy is right!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Open this weblink, then scroll down until you see "Mounting L-Feet with Tape"
https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-k...ng-accessories

I think this is what Lewster was recommending.
Use two of these L brackets. (or make your own)