Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Reno , Nevada
How to hook up XM

We have a 2016 FB Flying Cloud. How does one hook up the XM Sirus to run through the bose speakers using the 303 Clarion radio. There is a Sirus plug in the back of the radio but it is not a normal port and the JC tech doesn't know what it is for. Any suggestions? We have Sirus in our truck and MH but would really like to use it in the AS. Any suggestions?
Claudiaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudiaj View Post
We have a 2016 FB Flying Cloud. How does one hook up the XM Sirus to run through the bose speakers using the 303 Clarion radio. There is a Sirus plug in the back of the radio but it is not a normal port and the JC tech doesn't know what it is for. Any suggestions? We have Sirus in our truck and MH but would really like to use it in the AS. Any suggestions?
Believe you will need an additional XM subscription if using a different receiver. Also, likely need a receiver and antenna to get this working. Check with Sirius XM site; they have the radio receivers in various size/functions; I would also check their "Outlet" tab for any deals on older or reconditioned units. You can also check their help line for advise.

http://shop.siriusxm.com/edealinv/se...ParentID=49762

We like the news channels on XM when traveling, but prefer to use Pandora music with Bluetooth when just using the AS radio with our smart phones. It's free and works great!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
... prefer to use Pandora music with Bluetooth when just using the AS radio with our smart phones. It's free and works great!
...not FREE; it uses your data allowance - depending upon plan / provider ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Reno , Nevada
We already have the additional receiver and it has been activated. The clarion radio manual says the radio is xm/Sirius ready. The Sirus works great using a stand alone speaker (Bose wireless) but we would prefer to hook it up to the existing Bose system that came with the FC. Blue tooth is working with our iPhones and we do use Pandora but as noted before it does use data. Any other suggestions?
Claudiaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
My understanding is that when a radio says "XM Ready", it means that you need to purchase a plug in module from the radio manufacturer and plug it into the port you found. You then activate a subscription on that radio. You might check with Crutchfield for the module.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
The Clarion M303 needs a plug in module (SXV200) to get satellite radio.

If you have a separate satellite radio you want to plug into the Clarion M303 then you need to work out what type of output it has (RCA phono leads - red and white thinks, 1/8" jack...) and connect it to the back of the M303 via it's auxiliary RAC inputs.

Not sure if that helps, ask more questions if you need to
Old 02-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Bluetooth from iPhone for SiriusXM

If you are an XM subscriber add the iPhone streaming (small fee) and stream via Bluetooth to the radio...

Sounds great
beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
If you are an XM subscriber add the iPhone streaming (small fee) and stream via Bluetooth to the radio...

Sounds great
This is what I do most of the time... But I have a large data plan to go with it..
Old 02-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
Old Sailor

1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
Smile

Most XM radios will broadcast a low power signal on your choice of several FM frequencies. You just pick an unused FM freq and set the XM radio to the same freq. No wires needed. Check the instructions for your radio for details.
"Mollie Bug" The Boston Terrier
WBCCI #4456 - Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I went through the same thing last fall. All I wanted to do was change from XM to Sirius service. Which they said was necessary to get all my different receivers on the same account. I got XM/Sirius to send me a receiver for their Sirius service. It would not match the present connections. It turned out to be easier to by a new Pioneer receiver that was Sirius ready, a Sirius module, and start over. All this was done by a tech from Airstream Service who had 16 years service installing stereos on the production line. I'm glad he knew what he was doing. I was overwhelmed to say the least.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I used a Stratus 6 stand-alone modular Sirius/XM unit. I installed a base in the Airstream, and use it in the home station in my house. It also fits into a special boombox that Sirius sells, so it wanders around as I do.

It is a pricey service, so I'm willing to juggle two units (other one in my TV) and the internet service to try and keep costs down. We listen to it constantly, so I don't mind the $400+/year that we have to fork out.

My friend, who just drove down here from upstate NY said that for most of the trip, he was able to stream Pandora and was quite pleased. As soon as he hit Florida, reception faded. Probably too flat around here.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
We have a similar setup with our Sportster Sirius radio. I have a mount in the TV and another in the AS, plugs into the AUX port on the radio. You get better fidelity than streaming FM. I also have the Sirius boom box for portability. I can use the same head unit on all 3 so on the road, in the AS or around the house I can listen to Sirius.

As an added bonus, my son has the primary account and set me up as the second account. He pays for it and says it's my Father's Day, birthday and every other day gift.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
How do you run the antenna wire for the Sirius radio receiver and where do you mount it? I have an extra Sirius receiver in a cabinet not in use.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
How do you run the antenna wire for the Sirius radio receiver and where do you mount it? I have an extra Sirius receiver in a cabinet not in use.
I'm still in the cobbling stage, so I just tape it to the window for now. It won't work inside the AS. I'm going to see how the OEM radio antenna goes out the top, maybe I can get the Sirius antenna wire down the same path. I'm thinking of mounting the radio bracket inside the cabinet and tapping into the 12v for the radio, there's an access panel in that overhead. I can use the remote control to change the station.

We're on the road and I don't have many tools with me and the wife gets upset when I start taking things apart anyway. I have several projects lined up for when we return and that's near the top (after repairs).
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:52 AM   #15
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
We decided to purchase the SiriusXM Portable Speaker Dock BB2 so that It can be used outside or inside without the hassle of running antenna wire.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111