Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
How does one tie in the TV to the speaker system

We have a new Flying cloud with a Samsung TV and Sony radio plus Samsung Blu-ray player. The Sony plays through the speakers under the dinette and over the front bedroom however I cannot get the TV to do the same. Any suggestions on how to play the TVS through the speaker would be greatly appreciated.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Is there a "source" button on the front of the Sony? If so, try pressing that button several times to see if it won't switch the input source to the TV.

Also check the back of the television to make sure that there are wires connected to its Audio-Out jacks.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Teagues is right. Press the source button to "CD2" (at least it is cd2 on my model)

Regards

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks I will try those today
Old 08-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
got it working today. It did belong on c2, however the speakers needed to be on PCM and not dolby digital. Bill in Colonial service department walked through everything.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I was getting ready for the spring and trying out my systems however I forgot how to get the Sony radio to play the TV and the Blu ray through the speakers. I set the sony radio to cd 2, turn on the external speakers and PCM but still no luck. Can you tell me what I might be missing. It worked last November without a problem.

Thanks John
Old 03-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
I just went through the same difficulties last weekend; I share your frustration... I kept getting #$% not loaded on the CD2 display. Finally it worked ... wish I knew just what I did - LOL. The big problem is that we lose all of the settings / station presets / equalizer whenever we use the master switch store mode... and, frankly, I don't recall just how I finally did get it working last fall. Back to the Sony media center manual ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
It is frustrating. I spoke with Jacksonville as my dealership service center could not get to me until tomorrow but we had no luck. I will call colonial tomorrow and hope for better luck. If not it will have to go in for service. Not sure I want to drive two hundred miles but
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
It is frustrating. I spoke with Jacksonville as my dealership service center could not get to me until tomorrow but we had no luck. I will call colonial tomorrow and hope for better luck. If not it will have to go in for service. Not sure I want to drive two hundred miles but

Why don't you call them in the morning and ask to speak to someone in the service department?

They may be able to instruct you on this over the phone, saving the drive and time until/unless you know it needs hands-on adjustment.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Makes me smile. Thirty five nights last summer and I still haven't figured it out. We would put the kids to bed in the front, set the dinette down and settle in to watch a movie. Of course we had the speakers in the bedroom turned off - not wanting to wake the kids. It didn't take long to discover that the movie played with music, but no voices. So.... probably half an hour then with the lights on and me stood up in my shorts reading the manual(s) and attempting several combinations of settings on the Sony to "fix" the problem. As you indicated above, one cannot have the sound set to Dolby when half the speakers are turned off, as Dolby sends the voice track to - you guessed it - the speakers in the bedroom. Why pray tell would anyone want this? I can only assume that the Sony player is meant for a car, not a trailer, and splitting the sound track among the speakers in a car doesn't matter.

And you're right - the Sony erases all the settings each time the power is cut. And despite my self assured smugness around electronic devices, I still cannot remember the sequence of menu items needed to set up the sound correctly. Every one of our movies starts with me, in my shorts, lights on and manual in hand. The DaVinci code is a simpler problem by far.

Don

btw - my speakers were wired "backwards" as well. The "front" speakers according to the Sony were the speakers above the rear dinette and the "rear" speakers according to the Sony were in the front bedroom. I guess the Airstream guy hooked the wiring up as he looked at the radio - i.e. facing toward the rear of the trailer.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Found this video on YouTube. Its long but explains in detail how the Sony system works in the 2007-2009 units. Maybe it will shed some light on your system Not sure how to inbed the video in this reply, so try this link or put "How to use your Airstream AV System from 2007-2009" in the YouTube search field.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Wow, that was easy. Last week I couldn't even spell Computer Genius and now I are one!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Maggie
I will be calling them in the morning. today they only had one technician on and he was tired up all day on a project. I am hoping he can walk me through like last year. However I am not optimistic as I have done everything the technician recommended from the main plant and still was not alb to get it working.

Lucky Dog thanks for pointing out the video. Unfortunately I still cannot get it to work.
My thanks to all for the responses.

John
Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We enjoyed having the TV sound coming into the dinette speakers when we had the original Sony TV in our Bambi, but when we got a new Samsung, I, too, have given up on getting TV sound to those speakers. Bums me out, so I am watching this thread... I have just about decided it's a Sony-to-Sony thing and have done my nest to be happy with the new TV without the sound to the speakers.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Sony car radio is really stupidly complicated. I have to use the remote over my head when I am sitting down to run the speakers or pause a DVD. The speakers are right above our heads—too close for proper balance.

If I recall from last year, there was a source button and then you have to use the left and right buttons to work through it. I think the readout said CDC (Center for Disease Control?). There was also "aux" and "tuner". I think there is a pause before the sounds comes out.

There is also a setting for "fader" which is for the bedroom speakers in the FB units. Also balance and tone settings are available.

Is something turned all the way off so the speakers don't work?

The Samsung has a source or mode setting. For DVD's you have to change that from the default which is TV. You have to go through the menu and submenus to find it.

The whole process is a pain.

We are thinking of putting a small TV in the bedroom. There's a coaxial cable connection there and I guess it is the same as the one for the antenna or cable for the main cabin TV. I'm not sure where to attach a bracket for the TV—the shower partition is the obvious place, but I don't want to drill through into the shower. Maybe it can be attached to a rib in the exterior wall? Anyone done that?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Gene,

Mine came from the factory with a second TV in the bedroom. The bracket is attached to the shower partition and it is very sturdy. You should have no problem as there must be a wooden stud in there.

I planned to remove this TV over the winter and enjoy it in my house. The stands for both TV's were supplied loose, however no instructions on how to remove either TV from the respective wall brackets. I tried every plausible action short of ripping it off the wall to no avail. Here we have folks on this forum lamenting that their cabinets are falling off the walls and I need a nuclear detonation to shake the TV loose. The Airstream factory certainly makes an interesting product.

Don
Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Lucky Dog and DMT ... you made my day! Thanks for the vid.
And, Gene - the same for us on the Sony remote
... a contortionist to make it work right ... plus leave the overhead bin door open (for the IR signal) to knock your wife out when she gets up!

We were looking at getting a sat antenna and receiver, but do I really want more complexity? One of the main reasons for us choosing the AS was to be able to relax and not fight with the SOB designs.

I am smiling to my self as I read this continuing saga
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Don, does the bedroom TV play though the speaker system? I doubt it will in ours because there are no audio wires. I will probably contact Airstream about the mounting of a bracket because of my previously stated fear of drilling into the shower. In your trailer you face the partition, in ours we face the exterior wall. So we'd need a bracket that folds all the way out. It probably would take a really small TV for the space available and the size of the room. I need to replace the floor first.

Still thinking about getting back to Newfoundland some day—it has been 8 years since we were there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
First let me say that the techs at both the mothership and Colonial have been very responsive to my phone calls. That said the frustrating part is that it all came together last year and it all worked great before I put it away for the winter.

This is what I have done so far: Tried the TV with the speakers in the external and TV modes, insured it was on PCM and not dolby, Made sure the radio was in the CD mode and tried CD 1, 2 and 3 but they all show no disc even when the Blu Ray is playing. I also checked the wires and boxes behind the radio panel looking for loose connections and/or no lights showing but all to no avail. Did I leave anything out that I should have checked?

I spoke with a tech today but still no luck, we are going to run through it one more time tomorrow with the tech and if that does not work i take it in for repairs.

If I do get it fixed I will write down the protocol and post them.

John
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I spoke with a tech today but still no luck, we are going to run through it one more time tomorrow with the tech and if that does not work i take it in for repairs.

If I do get it fixed I will write down the protocol and post them.

John
I am taking a deep breath and on the edge of my seat ... ... with

A-n-t-i-c-iiiiiiiiii-p-a-yyyyyyyyyy----shun ....