Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I was wondering the exact same thing

I just installed new TV with built in tuner for HD programming. I did not want to add converter for $50 bucks to make current setup work. The sub was making noises after I plugged new tv rca jacks. Old Sharp tv said In 1 for rca yellow red white then another set yellow,red,white AVin 2. For new TV I only pluged in Yellow video and taped other wires and hide them in wire cover box. If you do tape be sure the RCAs are not allowed to touch each other or any metal. Someone told me about RCA to speaker jack but I am wondering if this is even worth it. I would have to figure out how active that source. If yours worked at one time is something simple! Either source on tv or source on sony player.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Don, does the bedroom TV play though the speaker system? I doubt it will in ours because there are no audio wires. I will probably contact Airstream about the mounting of a bracket because of my previously stated fear of drilling into the shower. In your trailer you face the partition, in ours we face the exterior wall. So we'd need a bracket that folds all the way out. It probably would take a really small TV for the space available and the size of the room. I need to replace the floor first.

Still thinking about getting back to Newfoundland some day—it has been 8 years since we were there.

Gene
Gene,
Only the dinette TV location has audio cables poking through the wall. They are hooked up to the TV but I never could get sound to play through the radio's speakers. Sound comes from the TV speaker and I'm fine with that. I just turn it down when watching a movie.

8 years is not long passing. If you make it back, and we include yours and mine, it would make three Airstreams on the island! We would make the news.

Don
Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Don, you have the same wiring as ours, except the newer ones don't work.

If 3 Airstreams make the news, things are pretty quiet there. When we were there in '04, telephone workers, fisherman and provincial employees were all on strike. Then there was a snowstorm on the eastern side and the provincial highway dep't managers had to plow snow and they didn't do such a good job, but it melted fast. The fairly new premier had closed the provincial museum, not a popular move with us. We were there so early in the season, we were about the only tourists and I loved that.

Back to the perils of getting audio from the TV through the radio speakers. Maybe a call to Sony would help.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The good news is I have the blu ray and the TV play through the Sony speakers. The bad news is I have a bad connector from the Sony radio to the trunlink box. Bill, one of the technicians at Colonial was able to identify the problem. After I explained the process that I went through he recommended that I run the USB cable from the USB connector in the front of the radio directly to the trunlink box. When I did I was able to play both the TV and bluray through the sony speakers.

They were willing to send me the part however I chose to take the AS to them. I might have been able to fix it but there is such a nest of wires in that little space I decided not risk it as I am no longer the contortionist I once was.

My thanks to all for your assistance.

John

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to hear the diagnosis has been made and it appears it is fixed.

Electronics are made by demons who create buttons that make no sense to humans. Then they write instructions that are incomprehensible. It used to be easy to figure out a wire was bad, but now we assume it is us because we can't understand how things work. When the demons are finished writing electronics' instructions, they go work for banks and write "disclosures".

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
My trailer is older but I learned about this by pulling wires and replacing the head unit for those with units in the same vintage Here is what I discovered on this topic:

The Sony CD 5000 unit that I have/had provided two RCA connections for Left/Right input of sound. Airstream wired up a harness that was hooked up to this unit. When I swapped out the unit I learned that the first set of RCA (on the end) was the active input. that is the "in" for sound on older units.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Finally...a mystery solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
My trailer is older but I learned about this by pulling wires and replacing the head unit for those with units in the same vintage Here is what I discovered on this topic:

The Sony CD 5000 unit that I have/had provided two RCA connections for Left/Right input of sound. Airstream wired up a harness that was hooked up to this unit. When I swapped out the unit I learned that the first set of RCA (on the end) was the active input. that is the "in" for sound on older units.
I have the same 2006 Safari 25 ft., and from what I gather here is that I can possibly connect my Combo TV/DVD player to those two pigtailed RCA plugs (in the street side armrest) and through some lucky selections on the Sony CD 5000 (that is one highly mecanized unit) I may be able to get some sound from the Sony speakers over the couch and control volume from the remote that came with the Sony factory radio????
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes but one of the RCA plugs is for a sub regardless though they go to the head unit.

I replaced my head unit a few months ago. The new one does the same thing only the connector is in the front as a miniplug aux jack. It works beautifully. You can use the fade control to choose front, back or all speakers.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It strikes me that buying one of the Logitech "Harmony" programmable remotes to run these systems could be a good investment.

As mentioned by one member above, the fact that a lot of us only use our TTs for half the year, we have the other half to forget how they work.

They are unacceptably complex, so why even try to memorize the silly stack of commands, when you can program a device to do one of those tasks with one button press?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It strikes me that buying one of the Logitech "Harmony" programmable remotes to run these systems could be a good investment.

As mentioned by one member above, the fact that a lot of us only use our TTs for half the year, we have the other half to forget how they work.

They are unacceptably complex, so why even try to memorize the silly stack of commands, when you can program a device to do one of those tasks with one button press?
Well said !!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
My personal finish to the TV Audio through the radio challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice&Billis View Post
I have the same 2006 Safari 25 ft., and from what I gather here is that I can possibly connect my Combo TV/DVD player to those two pigtailed RCA plugs (in the street side armrest) and through some lucky selections on the Sony CD 5000 (that is one highly mecanized unit) I may be able to get some sound from the Sony speakers over the couch and control volume from the remote that came with the Sony factory radio????
After reading the bits of information and trials of other Airstreamers' advice on this site concerning the audio/video challenges and then the back and forth with support from Airstream, who insisted I needed nothing other than the radio they installed to achieve TV audio through the Sony CD 5000 radio...you must also have a XA-300 Auxilary In Selector from Sony or similar to make it work. The Sony XA-300 is a product from the 2004-2006 era and is no longer manufactured although more current products would likely work in the same manner. My local non chain stereo/video store had to look around and found one in a Dallas distributor warehouse for $99.99, then two plug in connections with a provided wire and I was in business. We can now hear the TV when the roof air is on. In addition, there are 3 inputs, a USB for a PC, a headphone out, and the unit detects what's been plugged in. So.......after 7 years of ownership, it just got better!!!!! Thanks to all who addressed this issue.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
And yet, The Sony STore appears to have them, and at a reduced price.

Try XA-300 | Sony Bus Auxiliary Input Adapter | Sony | Sony Store USA and when you put it in your "cart", it should show up in there at $75.00

Good luck!