Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Help me understand sat & TV wiring on 2017 FC

I just bought a Tailgater and am trying to understand the wiring so that I can make a clean installation. I have a 2017 FC rear bed 25'.

1. The outside port has connections for Cable and Sat. As I understand it, the Cable connection toggles with the roof antenna using the push button on the white plate on the interior wall. Anything else I should now about the Cable connection?

2. From reading this forum, I've opened up the cabinet holding the Blue-Ray and found the loose coax cable. Does this wire run directly from the outside Sat connection? Anything else I should know about the wiring?

3. What's the purpose of the loose USB cable on top of the Blue-Ray cabinet?

4. My wife and I haven't witched a DVD is years and I'm thinking about replacing the Blue-Ray with the Tailgater. This will save room and also makes for a clean installation. Thoughts?

Any other wisdom you can share?

TIA, Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
1. The outside port has connections for Cable and Sat. As I understand it, the Cable connection toggles with the roof antenna using the push button on the white plate on the interior wall. Anything else I should now about the Cable connection?
You are correct. The only other thing, and you probably know this, is whenever you change from Antenna to Cable or Antenna in one place to Antenna in another, you will have to re-scan all TV's to get the channels from the new source/area.

2. From reading this forum, I've opened up the cabinet holding the Blue-Ray and found the loose coax cable. Does this wire run directly from the outside Sat connection? Anything else I should know about the wiring?
AFAIK from reading on here, that cable runs direct to the satellite input outside.

Sorry, no help here.

4. My wife and I haven't witched a DVD is years and I'm thinking about replacing the Blue-Ray with the Tailgater. This will save room and also makes for a clean installation. Thoughts?
Sounds like a good use of space. But when you can't get a good shot to the satellites due to tree cover, it might be nice to watch DVDs, but if you don't do it, it is a waste of space and power.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
But when you can't get a good shot to the satellites due to tree cover, it might be nice to watch DVDs, but if you don't do it, it is a waste of space and power.
Al
I'll have recorded programs to watch when satellite is blocked and/or will be able to stream.

I removed the Blue-Ray and the Wally (DISH receiver) was a plug and play swap out as I used the same splitter, connections and the Wally fit perfectly in the cabinet. Very happy with this install
Old 05-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Lakeport , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
The USB connector is for connecting an iPod (or other music player). You can then select it from your sources.
Motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
The loose USB cable runs to an input on the back of the stereo receiver that is installed in the wall. Like Motown said it is for connecting your phone/ipod/thumb drive or something like that to your head unit so you can play music through the speakers inside of the Airstream. You just have to figure out which input it is on - it seems it is different on different years/models of campers.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
The loose USB cable runs to an input on the back of the stereo receiver that is installed in the wall.
Good info. Thanks and also to Motown, Dave