Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

I did not read all the postings here but I just bought a Garmin NUVI 2557LMT and I love it. I was using a Garmin Street Pilot 330 for years, seven to be exact, and wanted to stay with a Garmin product. I also have a Garmin 60Csx, which is a handheld unit, that we use for Geocaching also with the life time maps update feature. I love their products and service (never needed to send in a unit but I have called regarding a couple of issues.) In addition Google maps will directly upload address information to the Garmin products so you can look up addresses using Google maps and upload that information to the GPS. Love it!!!
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
Smartphones work well for GPS in your home country but not good if you cross a border.
Why?

One plus to the Navigon app is that it has other countries. (It originated in Germany) I have Navigon USA, but there is a Navigon North America option that should take care of most border crossings if you're starting from the US.

I will admit that I've never tried the other options, though.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 50 LM new for less than $100. This is a great 5" unit without a lot of bells and whistles but on the other hand all I want is to get from point A to point B. I do have the lifetime map upgrades and we have done either 3 or 4 upgrades to this date. Here's a link to some info. Look around on the Internet and I'm sure you can find one for a minimal price.

Garmin 30/40/50 Series

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Current product review by PC Mag.
---
BY JAMIE LENDINO
The Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD ($379.99 direct) is the best automotive GPS navigation device you can buy today. While the market for standalone devices has stagnated and even contracted in recent years, there's still plenty of demand—especially at bargain prices. That's not the 3597LMTHD's mission; instead, it advances the state of the art with its magnetic mount, glass capactive screen, and beautiful 3D lane assistance, so it's our Editors' Choice for high-end GPS devices. If you're willing to shell out the cash, the nüvi 3597LMTHD is the best add-on car navigation device you'll find.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
CR gives the highest rating currently to the Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT.

Sounds similar to the one you discussed above, if only by going by model numbers.

Here's the summary:
The Nuvi 3590LMT provides a very clear and sensitive touch-screen display packaged in a thin sleek design. A new software interface has a bit of a learning curve. Overall, it improves methods for performing common tasks, and it adds functionality with historic and user specific traffic data, as well as voice-recognition capability. Improved graphics include the option to view landscapes in 3D. This unit is traffic capable, receiving information through HD radio transmission. This method allows for more data, such as secondary road coverage, to be packaged with the traffic information. We have found limited reception and weak signal strength.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Columbia , South Carolina
Hey Protagonist...how about those tornadoes in Metairie? Airstream fare ok?
SlvrParachut is offline   Reply With Quote