Old 07-15-2018, 03:29 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Why not just get the laptop out and enter the entire route on the computer then download to the 760 you might ask. That works fine for some people but I'm much more of a free spirit in my driving and change course based on things I learn at the gas station, restaurant, etc. If the waypoints are already entered into the 760 it's not easy (IMO) to change the entries and add new entries on the fly.
one thing to consider is when you enter the waypoints on basecamp for your route, after the entire route is loaded, change them to shaping points, don't alert. Then if you decide not to go that route, the GPS will just reroute you. I've also found that often times if I just ignore the route it's giving me after driving for a a bit, it figures out that I'm not going that way and just reroutes me anyhow. Now this backfires if you have hard waypoints in there because it simply wants you to hit those. But if they are shaping points instead, it will ignore those and go on it's merry way.

wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:47 AM   #100
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I wish there was a way (there probably is, I just don’t know it) to turn OFF the “make a U-turn” option.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:36 AM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
I just "upgraded" my factory GPS in my 2015 Silverado. I think for the $150 I got a few new restaurants and gas stations. The life cycle of all the GPS software seems to be in maintenance mode, and not back in research and development. So I will be stuck using RV Trip Wizard, RV Parky, Google and others in the campground, mapping out the general route and identifying stops and attractions, then the iPhone and truck GPS while on the road.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
It's been over a year since I've posted here so I figured an update is in order....

Oh well... I'm realizing there is no GPS on the market that works like my brain wants it to work:

So it's been over a year... are there any better solutions?
Short version: No.

Longer version: As a cross-continent solo driver, GPS efficiency is far more important to me than it is to the average user, because I don't have any other means of navigation (other than pulling off the road and doing it manually when a need to change plans arises). There's no spouse sitting in my passenger seat punching buttons on multiple unrelated devices (phone, tablet, GPS) and manually looking stuff up for me. For that reason, I've been searching for ways to make our Garmin MAKE SENSE as a true navigation tool beyond simplistic rote usage.

Generally what I've been told in the context of the Garmin 770 is that the market demand is simply not there right now. Some people do want increased functionality such as what you are describing and there's a huge programming aftermarket that has developed to plug some of those holes for serious users whose situations inspire them to make improvements to their individual devices. But most people don't care about that stuff, and so the manufacturers are simply not offering it.

I told one app developer that people don't yet know what they are missing. Maybe once it starts dawning on them and their appetites for product improvements increase, maybe the GPS manufacturers will step up.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
As a cross-continent solo driver, GPS efficiency is far more important to me than it is to the average user, because I don't have any other means of navigation (other than pulling off the road and doing it manually when a need to change plans arises). There's no spouse sitting in my passenger seat punching buttons on multiple unrelated devices (phone, tablet, GPS) and manually looking stuff up for me. For that reason, I've been searching for ways to make our Garmin MAKE SENSE as a true navigation tool beyond simplistic rote usage.

Generally what I've been told in the context of the Garmin 770 is that the market demand is simply not there right now.
I'm with you 100%. Also a solo driver who hates to pull over to consult a map.
I don't know anyone who doesn't own a GPS. No one says, "I'd get one if it did this." Also the cost of the Garmin 770 kept me away for a long time (I had a nice smaller unit), but the wireless backup camera plus the 7" screen and finding one "Factory refurb" for $249 made the deal. Other than the box saying "refurbished unit" it was new in every way, down to the twist ties on the wires.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #104
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Savoy , Texas
I had to ask. Where did you find the "Factory Refurb" Garmin 770?
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
I used "The GPS Store".
I think they're in N. Carolina, but they have gobs of stuff.
I've bought my previous Garmin from them, and accessories like cases. So one day I checked their web site and it said they were expecting some refurbished 770's on a certain date. They came in and I bought one. I've always received good service from the GPS store.
I just looked and there's none right now.
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Truck-RV-GPS-C491.aspx
Old 07-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I wish there was a way (there probably is, I just don’t know it) to turn OFF the “make a U-turn” option.
I suspect it varies depending on the unit. But there's a whole section of preferences.

Look under Settings > Navigation

or it could be under some other area depending on your GPS. But you can turn off or on things like Toll Roads, Minor Roads, U-Turns, etc.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
Also try:

https://www.gpscity.com/gps-receiver...t=trucking+gps

I have bought quite a bit from them and found their prices inline or better than most. They do have the 770 quite a bit cheaper than than The GPS Store.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
https://www.gpsnation.com/refurbishe...770-lmthd.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...ished/46053846

https://greatoffersmall.com/ip/Refur...dates/46053846
WBCCI #6679
Old 07-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly of Center Moriches, NY) , South Dakota
I too travel solo. I look every year to see if somebody; heck anybody, has come up with a GPS that's worth the high prices they cost.

NO GPS unit is perfect. The two Rand McNally units I've bought (standalone 7710RVND and the 720 which was preinstalled in my RV) have let me down in areas I am very familiar with. That means I cannot really trust them in areas I'm not familiar with. Copilot Truck doesn't let RVers set parameters they need and, the Copilot RV App can't handle LARGE RVs. Years ago, I loved theTomTom car GPS. I believe TomTom has released an RV App but, if they have, I have no familiarity with it so can't comment on how well it works for RVers. Last year, TomTom announced they were ending support for long time iOS (iPhone/iPad) users. If I remember correctly, the TomTom APP was originally $150!

Every GPS unit should come with a large tube of K-Y Jelly
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I posted some time ago about the three GPS systems I used. I have an update at least on a few things.
I got a newer truck and moved to a different part of the state, a part where I used to camp. I haven't been camping as we have been busy getting settled but I will share that the built-in GPS in the F150 is only somewhat helpful. It has led me astray several times in Jacksonville, FL. Taking me to the wrong place- "you have arrived" and there is nothing there! The cell phone Apple Maps/Google maps has worked most times and has newer places programmed into the system. (my truck map BTW, is recently updated)
Copilot RV is not bad. I still have yet to go anywhere much to test it but I am surprised at the post NY24 that you shared that "the Copilot RV App can't handle LARGE RVs." What size? It let me put in my Airstream parameters. They seem to keep the program up to date. I would love to hear someones experience with it. It is also cheaper than that Tom Tom!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
I too travel solo. I look every year to see if somebody; heck anybody, has come up with a GPS that's worth the high prices they cost.
It depends.
I don't know how I'd get most places WITHOUT a GPS.
Remember when you could ask directions at a gas station and the guy knew? Not any more.

I went with the RV 770 by Garmin. It does most things better than my old Garmin 1490. Some things that used to be easy are now hard. Like entering your current location as a favorite. I also hate the clutter of "Service" icons that cover the screen and you can't delete them. (I'll bet Garmin sold the ads.)
But it does a lot of things very well. It doesn't seem quirky, and got me where I wanted to go. The 7" screen is a pleasure.

Don't count on the data base to find a "Mobil gas" station, it's hit or miss. I'd call it 50-50. You're better off trusting the highway signs.

Plus, I added the BC-30 rear camera and it functions as expected. Good for backing, or watching something behind you. The resolution is not photo quality.

There's a lot of computing power in that tiny box. Speed limits are accurate, it warns of hills and sharp turns, and the maps seem accurate.

BTW, the RV 770 is different than the Desl 770. I found mine as a refurb for $249 at the GPS store.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Knowing the challenges of my 2015 Silverado dash GPS, one tactic that has helped me immeasurably is to preview the route on Google maps, both map and satellite (earth) view the night before. More than once, the lady in the dashboard has tried to lead me astray, but I knew her heart was not pure. Trust, but verify.

WBCCI #6679