Old 07-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
BaseCamp is free software that is downloaded to a PC or MAC. This software allows trip planning on a large format screen and then the information can be downloaded to the GPS. It has a few annoyances in my mind. First, the GPS unit must be connected to the computer to really do much of anything. Without connecting the GPS the map displayed on BaseCamp is very minimal.
Not true, you can have detailed maps on your computer without having to have the GPS connected. I do it, and legally. You should register your GPS with Garmin. Then download Garmin Express and install it. Garmin Express provides the means to update the maps on your GPS (they come out 4 time a year) a well as download the maps to your computer. Note, Garmin map downloading is a terribly long process, it takes hours but it is all unattended.

Note, transferring information between the GPS and Basecamp is a two way street. One bit of information I find useful that the GPS gathers is Tracks or breadcrumbs. You can transfer your Tracks from the GPS to Basecamp to keep a permanent record of your exact travels, including a date/time stamp.

Contact me off thread if you want to know more about Basecamp. A few great tutorials can be found at these links:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41134
http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Can the lifetime maps be transferred to another owner?
Yes, and there are several ways. If the unit has not been registered with Garmin (most people never bother), then the new owner just registers it and gets the new maps. If the unit has been registered and the owner has only registered one Garmin GPS, they can just turn over the Garmin log-in credentials to the new owner. The new owner can then log-in and modify the registered information. If the unit has been registered and the owner has registered more than one GPS in the same account, there is a way but it does not come to mind. A bit of Google search should uncover this scenario. I don't believe that Garmin cooperatively assists in transferring ownership. I register each of my Garmin GPS units under a different email address to ease the transfer to another owner.

Greg

Old 07-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #44
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Not true, you can have detailed maps on your computer without having to have the GPS connected. I do it, and legally. You should register your GPS with Garmin. Then download Garmin Express and install it. Garmin Express provides the means to update the maps on your GPS (they come out 4 time a year) a well as download the maps to your computer. Note, Garmin map downloading is a terribly long process, it takes hours but it is all unattended.

Note, transferring information between the GPS and Basecamp is a two way street. One bit of information I find useful that the GPS gathers is Tracks or breadcrumbs. You can transfer your Tracks from the GPS to Basecamp to keep a permanent record of your exact travels, including a date/time stamp.
Greg, I don't disagree but I want to clarify what I meant in the event somebody out there is going through the same experience I had.

A Garmin customer (no) service rep indicated I should download the free BaseCamp software and do my trip planning on a large screen then send the trip to the device. The way it was explained on the phone sounded as if BaseCamp had the same map my RV 760LMT contained. That was not the case in my situation.

BaseCamp (at least the version that downloaded to my computer yesterday) was a very minimal map. When I searched for POI's I didn't receive the results I expected. In addition, the map didn't show much detail for major metropolitan areas. At some point I connected the computer to the RV 760LMT and the same map from my 760 appeared on the computer. When I disconnect the 760 the computer becomes dumbed down to some extent. I don't know how to explain it except to say the computer seems to be relying on the map on the 760. I've transferred the information from the device to the computer so I don't think that's the issue. The computer (at least mine) relies on the 760 for some of its details. Not a major problem but a little odd in my opinion.

I agree that more, detailed, different maps can be loaded into BaseCamp and those can then be transferred to the 760. However, I'm disappointed that a $300 GPS doesn't have more detailed maps out of the box. The additional maps cost additional $$. If there's a way to download a .gpx file from other software and import it into BaseCamp and the 760 that would be useful. I see reference to .gpx files but it's not obvious how to proceed. Operator error on my part I guess.

I finally overcame (to some extent) the fact that backroads didn't appear on the 760. I found that I have to zoom in to the maximum extent to see the roads. I found the same thing to be true with business names. I have to zoom in to the maximum detail to see business names, even some names of towns. Even when I zoom in to the maximum extent not all business names are shown. I find this annoying. Hopefully I'll get used to it or realize there's another way to display the information. Regardless, the map is still not as complete as I'd like but I'm finding ways to work with it.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I use Garmin RV760, but it does not understand me when I give it voice commands. It does not communicate well in southern English ;-) I mainly use it for finding campgrounds. But I like the feature to enter my rig size, which keeps me out of tight places. Most of the time I turn it on the view map setting then zoom out so that it shows me what's up ahead.
Base camp is useless to us since most of our travel is randomly changing meandering along the way to our destination.
I find myself using Google voice search to get maps/directions quickly, to supplement Garmin when I need to change or add destinations while going down the road.
I use good ole paper maps. Seems to me I can orient myself better when I layout that big sheet of paper. I carry an atlas and a road map of each state I travel in, for reference and planning. And, it's fun to mark red lines on the atlas to show the all of the routes we have traveled. Red pencil for where we towed, blue for where we've gone solo without the Airstream.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:38 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You must download the detailed City Streets map to your PC to see it in BaseCamp. It is just like doing a map update except that you select downloading the update to your computer and the device(760).
Larry
Old 07-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Greg, I don't disagree but I want to clarify what I meant in the event somebody out there is going through the same experience I had.

A Garmin customer (no) service rep indicated I should download the free BaseCamp software and do my trip planning on a large screen then send the trip to the device. The way it was explained on the phone sounded as if BaseCamp had the same map my RV 760LMT contained. That was not the case in my situation.
You *must* use the Garmin Express tool to download the detailed map to basecamp. There is an option to download new maps to your computer only, GPS and computer, or GPS only. The basic map as you found out just doesn't have anything really on it. You don't have to buy the detailed maps, just update basecamp with the maps.

The reason the detailed maps came up when you connected your GPS was basecamp started using the maps installed in the GPS. Which works, but isn't ideal because it means you have to have the GPS attached to the computer at all times. Not ideal.

One word of caution. I find the newer Garmin units and Basecamp frustrating at times because it always wants to recalculate my route. Older units didn't do this (as much)... I have found the only way to really prevent this is to insert waypoints along roads I absolutely want to take. You can then set them so that they don't alert you when you approach them. But again, most people probably aren't quite as anal about their routes as I am... but this comes from years of backroad motorcycle traveling and as an early adopter of GPS technology (monochrome displays with very little road information)... I find the newer GPS units astonishing in what they present to the user. But with power comes some level of complexity.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That just sounds like way too much trouble to me...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #49
Rivet Master

No, it is really very easy and a part of the free update service. A few mouse clicks and then you wait for the download to finish.
Larry
Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I guess I must first purchase a device with free update service?
I think I'll keep my money.
The part about having to put way points or via points to make it give you the sensible route...
Good grief.
All of the GPS devices, software, and apps have the exact same flaws/downfalls. I guess they are all basically based on Google maps or Bing or something similar.
I guess only Google has cars driving around taking pictures.
Everyone else buys maps from Google?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
BaseCamp (at least the version that downloaded to my computer yesterday) was a very minimal map. When I searched for POI's I didn't receive the results I expected. In addition, the map didn't show much detail for major metropolitan areas. At some point I connected the computer to the RV 760LMT and the same map from my 760 appeared on the computer. When I disconnect the 760 the computer becomes dumbed down to some extent.
As you indicated, Basecamp itself is a shell program that comes provided with a minimal planning map, referred to as the Global Map. You have to update it with the detailed map data that matches your GPS.

For a more detailed map when planning, Basecamp can work in one of two ways: it uses the map in the GPS when the GPS is connected (slow and not desirable), or it uses a detailed map that you download using Garmin Express which resides on the computer. You are in the first mode, since you have not downloaded the detailed maps that match your GPS. Note, this download is free, as it works in conjunction with your GPS. I do all my planning on Basecamp with the GPS disconnected and have the same detail that the GPS contains.

As I said before, register the GPS, install and run Garmin Express. You will most likely have a map update for your GPS (ver 2017.20) when you run the Garmin Express with your GPS connected. Click on View Details and for the Installation Options select Computer and Device. After a few hours, your GPS will be updated to the new map version and your computer will also have the same detailed maps. You will then be able to plan without the GPS connected.

Greg
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Can the Basecamp app, maps, and updates all be done within the iPhone?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #53
Rivet Master

BaseCamp is for Windows or Mac. I do not think it has an Android or iOS App.
Larry
Old 07-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is listed in the App Store on my iPhone...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
I finally overcame (to some extent) the fact that backroads didn't appear on the 760. I found that I have to zoom in to the maximum extent to see the roads. I found the same thing to be true with business names. I have to zoom in to the maximum detail to see business names, even some names of towns.
I'm not understanding your requirement here. And your first two sentences contradict each other.

So, let's say you have the GPS zoomed so that you can see the whole city of Atlanta. Somehow you want every street and alley and business name to be displayed on the screen?

The underlying design approach to interactive map display is to show more detail as the zoom level increases, so as not to overpower the user with information. The more important (ie. popular) the data (interstates, large cities, etc), the lower the zoom level is needed to see it. Even a close zoom can be overpowered with data. Imagine if you have zoomed into the Mall of America with its more than 400 stores in less than a square mile and have every business name displayed. Sears and Penny's yes, Mrs. Fields cookies, no.

Greg
Old 07-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
It is listed in the App Store on my iPhone..
Most likely the Project Management planning tool with the same name.

Greg