Old 08-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
gps for campers

We want to get a new GPS unit just to be used in our truck when we go camping. I know that there are some units out there specifically for camping. Anybody have suggestions which unit would be best for "Airstreamers"?

wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have always found Garmin Customer Service to be among the best out there. Call them and describe your needs. They will most likely have a range of unit to pick from.

This may help.
RV GPS Comparison and Review: What are the Best Options?

Personally I can't see any advantage in sticking to an RV GPS with an Airstream. You don't have the weight issue, height issue, or limited access at fuel stops to deal with. I find the most useful function on my several different GPSs is the one that allows me to mark on the screen, and identify with a unique symbol, points of interest for future interest. That neat sandwich shop we found on an unnamed crossroads and the different campgrounds we frequent.

You cab go wild with requirements, traffic, blue tooth, voice activated, several different turn display options so make a list. Another consideration is how soon before and how ofter will it give notification of a turn. This is important when dealing with interstates. Notification to a turn after you have passed the ramp is not uncommon with some units because they consider the actual crossing of the roads as the point of the turn.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I had a Rand McNally Good Sam model. It was the model before this latest one. it didn't have a blazing fast processor and the interface was a little clunky, but for me pulling a trailer it was perfect. Great database of campgrounds and points of interest. And the fact that you could put in your RV data, height, weight, propane bottles GCW and more. It keeps you away from trouble.

If I were looking for a new one I would take a good look at the Good Sam unit at Camping World.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote