Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
Google Turn-by-Turn Navigation

I recently upgraded my cell phone on Verizon to the LG Revolution. Since you’re forced into a data plan with these phones I thought that it might be possible to offset the cost by not subscribing to the Verizon Navigator application.

Since I was trying to keep costs down, I also didn’t want to pay for a GPS application or service but did want turn-by-turn voice navigation so that I wouldn’t have to divert my attention from driving. I came across the Google turn-by-turn application on the Android Market and installed it on my phone (runs Android 2.2).

While I have only used it for a few hundred miles, I was able to use it in rural and city environments and I have to say that I’m very happy with the results. The directions were clear, I could use my phone contact list for the source of the desired address and it locked in quickly. The maps are nice and with just a couple of exceptions everything worked not only as expected but with better performance than the Verizon Navigator application.

The exceptions were 1) there were 2 cases where the voice guidance & map indicated where to turn correctly but incorrectly listed the name of the street; and 2) the voice is very mechanical and not as nice or smooth as other GPS applications.

Bottom-line is that I will be using the Google navigation now exclusively for both daily driving as well as RVing.
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
It has limitations

I have experimented with Google Nav.

I am glad it is on my phone, because I always have that with me.
However it is no replacement for my Garmin.

One big problem: It can not calculate a route when you have no data connection. So get out of cell coverage and you will find it fairly useless if you need to modify your route at all.

I do think the satellite map and the fact that it is does integrate with the rest of google's apps are neat features.

Regards,

Ken

P.S. - I used the barcode reader app on my android phone on your Avatar. It read it instantly
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
The new version of google maps/navigation allows for offline routing. This is on the Android version "jelly bean" which is available on the newest devices. Pretty cool! !

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I have to second the no data connection point.

We went to Arkanasa in June and essentially, once we got east of Sulphur Springs, even though we were on Interstate 30, if we had been depending on Google Nav completely, we would have been lost.

We are on T-Mobile and I'm giving them the remainder of my contract to get those additional towers from the aborted ATT deal to improve their coverage or I'm switching to Verizon.

I love Google Nav when we are within data coverage areas but will make sure i have paper maps and pre-printed directions for all future trips, just to back up the "nav lady" as we call her.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
There is a pretty long stretch in Missouri between St Louis and Iowa where there is little to no coverage from Verizon and I am sure there are many more.

I travel for a living. I use the Google Maps feature about 50% of the time, the rest of the time I depend on a Garmin. Another issue I have had is when a call comes in you lose the Google maps feature unless you are on 4G. Then you have to reset the maps and start routing over from your current location.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Never been much of a fan of GPS (except in a boat). I try and use Google maps as I preplan a trip and put them in order in a loose leaf folder. Got lost a couple of times in metro areas and used the Google maps app on my iPad. Enlarge it instantly and get some quick directions. Best part of the iPad is no whiney voice to tell you where to go!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Unlikely , Florida
I'm an Apple guy, but I must say, I rely on Google Maps Navigation a lot now that I have an Android phone. I don't use the voice part of it, so I'm not bothered by that. I used to use a TomTom when I lived in the UK, and I must say I am truly too reliant on technology. They are right though, no data can mean no routing. Unless you're fancy and have a Jelly Bean device.
Transhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been using the GPS Maps HD app on the ipad for the past six months and like it a lot. We don't like or use GPS that talks to us, other than on the rare occasion, because of course there is always someone in the copilot seat to navigate.

This app gives a broad or very localized map of wherever you choose, allowing me to find our way through anything qt any time. You can also pin specific addresses.

The only drawback is the lack of real-time location---the little blue ball doesn't update as quickly as I would like.

Mggie
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Also look at the 'Scout' app for Iphone & Ipad, perhaps Android. It takes voice direction (and gives it if you want) and will let you download sections of the country for off line use. It is free for a year, then there is a fee. I am hoping the Apple maps improves enough in that time to make me not have to pay the fee.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We have been using the GPS Maps HD app on the ipad for the past six months and like it a lot. We don't like or use GPS that talks to us, other than on the rare occasion, because of course there is always someone in the copilot seat to navigate.
That is where we differ. I usually travel solo, and the Garmin GPS built into my dashboard is a lifesaver! The "Traffic Ahead" warning, together with the on-screen estimate of the delay time, helps me to decide whether to detour around accidents or construction zones, or just wait it out. And if I decide to detour, a couple taps of the screen put it to work finding an alternate route for me.

A GPS is no substitute for common sense, however. On my last trip, my GPS tried to route me the wrong way on a one-way street, and only paying close attention to the street signs kept me from making a mistake.

Still, reading about these useful smartphone apps is making me consider trading in my dumbphone for a smartphone once my two-year commitment is up.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We find it to be an excellent (albeit smart phone cost excluded) alternative to the additional subscription services offered by "horizon" and use it in our non-GPS equipped jeep.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

I use google on my android smart phone and my tablet and it works, but my go to app for gps is Co-Pilot live usa. My Garmin was great but I got tired of having to purchase expenisive map up grades and did not want to purchase a lifetime map for the old Garmin. So I downloaded the Co-pilot app for $9.99 and love it. It has a RV setting in it that you can set the height up to 13'. You don't needa data connection as the maps are loaded onto the devise. It has lane change and youcan get live traffic with data connection. The thing I like is you can transfer the app if you get a new devise. I also like using it on my Galaxy Tab because ofthe larger screen. I see no need to purchase another stand alone gps if you have a smart phone of tablet. If you don't I would consider buy one of them before a gps only because of howmuch more you can do with it.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've found Google Maps to be a reliable back up when my Tom Tom won't recognize an address, which happens rather frequently.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have not found a way to adjust the route in Google. You don't know how far out of the way it is going to take you. It will reroute as you leave the planned route. I just use Google maps so I know where I am and the Navigator thing takes too much trust for me. I take strange route sometimes to avoid down town traffic while towing a trailer. When I go through Montgomery, AL. I bypass most of the town and it is not a bad drive. If I listen to Google it would take me right through town. I love the phone when trying to find a store or gas station etc. The phone can cash a good bit of data so you don't need 100% data coverage.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I recently downloaded the TomTom app for my iPad and really like it. You don't need to be online to use it. It uses the gps on the iPad (or iPhone). So far have found it to be much better than my Garmin device.

The app is $50 & comes with a map database, so you don't have to download maps ahead of time.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Just pointing out that WiFi only iPads or Tablets (without a data contract from a wireless carrier...) can't locate themselves, and are worthless as a GPS unit.. Your choice whether to pay Garmin for updated maps and free satelite reception or pay Verizon or AT&T or ?? monthly for data services when between free WiFi hotspots... OUrs has the maps downloaded and aviation charts as well, but needs separate source of location information to show you where you are...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
We just went 3500 miles on I-10 to Florida. We started out with the Galaxy Tab Android using Google maps. We have used it often in California - no trouble. But somewhere in Arizona, it kept losing it's brains and wouldn't show the right maps. I assumed it couldn't maintain the 3G connection. So, in El Paso I went and bought a new Garmin mid priced unit. I like it better than the google maps. It automatically changes to a 3D lane view at interchanges, which I find very handy (is the Southbound ramp going to be on the left or right lane at the top of the overpass? - you know the problem.)

We still use the Android for looking stuff up as we go. For instance, GasBuddy is indispensible. Bit for nav, I am liking the Garmin.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
and yet ANOTHER "offline" option is Sygic on the Android Market. It is very good software that never let me down while in Canada...and even has a moderate database of searchable items (even while offline). I think this would work well on a tablet, or phone. I used it on my Galaxy Note 2 (samsung).

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Just pointing out that WiFi only iPads or Tablets (without a data contract from a wireless carrier...) can't locate themselves, and are worthless as a GPS unit.. Your choice whether to pay Garmin for updated maps and free satelite reception or pay Verizon or AT&T or ?? monthly for data services when between free WiFi hotspots... OUrs has the maps downloaded and aviation charts as well, but needs separate source of location information to show you where you are...
I have a Nexus 7 tablet that I can download sections of Google Maps on the the GPS works just fine even without the WiFi hookup.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Thank you for the reviews. I see the pricey GPS aps yet am hesitant to pay extra to use with my first ever smartphone Iphone5.

I recently had the free Apple Maps navigation scream at me to take the I-39 exit north of Chicago at the last possible moment during a cross-country trip, just as the ramp passed by - completely unexpected or requested - and then the App shut itself down, vanished from running mode as as I watched. Had I been in unfamiliar territory or inclement weather, or not naturally suspicious, I may not have ignored it and perhaps become a statistic from a hail-mary multilane swerve!

The google maps nag to 'log in' and google cooperating websites porting over to google for finder services then not being pre-located smart with data from the website sure makes google seem cludged up.

Any other votes for a premium Apple ap?

Tags
google, gps, navigation, turn-by-turn