Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I recently downloaded the TomTom app for my iPad and really like it. You don't need to be online to use it. It uses the gps on the iPad (or iPhone). So far have found it to be much better than my Garmin device.

The app is $50 & comes with a map database, so you don't have to download maps ahead of time.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Just pointing out that WiFi only iPads or Tablets (without a data contract from a wireless carrier...) can't locate themselves, and are worthless as a GPS unit.. Your choice whether to pay Garmin for updated maps and free satelite reception or pay Verizon or AT&T or ?? monthly for data services when between free WiFi hotspots... OUrs has the maps downloaded and aviation charts as well, but needs separate source of location information to show you where you are...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
We just went 3500 miles on I-10 to Florida. We started out with the Galaxy Tab Android using Google maps. We have used it often in California - no trouble. But somewhere in Arizona, it kept losing it's brains and wouldn't show the right maps. I assumed it couldn't maintain the 3G connection. So, in El Paso I went and bought a new Garmin mid priced unit. I like it better than the google maps. It automatically changes to a 3D lane view at interchanges, which I find very handy (is the Southbound ramp going to be on the left or right lane at the top of the overpass? - you know the problem.)

We still use the Android for looking stuff up as we go. For instance, GasBuddy is indispensible. Bit for nav, I am liking the Garmin.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
and yet ANOTHER "offline" option is Sygic on the Android Market. It is very good software that never let me down while in Canada...and even has a moderate database of searchable items (even while offline). I think this would work well on a tablet, or phone. I used it on my Galaxy Note 2 (samsung).

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Just pointing out that WiFi only iPads or Tablets (without a data contract from a wireless carrier...) can't locate themselves, and are worthless as a GPS unit.. Your choice whether to pay Garmin for updated maps and free satelite reception or pay Verizon or AT&T or ?? monthly for data services when between free WiFi hotspots... OUrs has the maps downloaded and aviation charts as well, but needs separate source of location information to show you where you are...
I have a Nexus 7 tablet that I can download sections of Google Maps on the the GPS works just fine even without the WiFi hookup.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Thank you for the reviews. I see the pricey GPS aps yet am hesitant to pay extra to use with my first ever smartphone Iphone5.

I recently had the free Apple Maps navigation scream at me to take the I-39 exit north of Chicago at the last possible moment during a cross-country trip, just as the ramp passed by - completely unexpected or requested - and then the App shut itself down, vanished from running mode as as I watched. Had I been in unfamiliar territory or inclement weather, or not naturally suspicious, I may not have ignored it and perhaps become a statistic from a hail-mary multilane swerve!

The google maps nag to 'log in' and google cooperating websites porting over to google for finder services then not being pre-located smart with data from the website sure makes google seem cludged up.

Any other votes for a premium Apple ap?

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google, gps, navigation, turn-by-turn