Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hanscom AFB , Massachusetts
Garmin BC30 backup camera install

Hello

My wife and I have a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB and have the Garmin BC30 backup camera to go with the Garmin RV 660LMT Navigator.

I’m wondering if anyone here has installed the Garmin BC30 wireless backup camera on their rig & would be willing to share videos, photos, install instructions specific to an Airstream, and general expertise?

I’m very hesitant to put screw holes in the outer skin to mount the camera. I’ve heard that some people mount backup cameras inside the trailer looking out the window to avoid making exterior holes.

I’m also not sure about the best location for the transmitter and whether having the transmitter inside the aluminum shell would cause transmission/reception issues or where the best location is for the transmitter with an Airstream.

Any help, advice, experience or expertise would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dex

WBCCI#: 5772
2015 Flying Cloud 25FB
easler7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Is you license plate in a black plastic recessed mount or other?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I just saw a post on that exact thing.
I wanted to see a photo because that's what I wanted to do.
Although I have a cabinet overhead in the rear that would be a perfect place to mount a camera, the writer had mounted his using hardware for a action mount camera like a Go-Pro.
If I can find it, I'll edit this.
Here's the post I found:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-181008-2.html

Scroll down to post #25.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
BC30 is a very small camera that clips nicely onto a license plate. I mounted mine w/o drilling the aluminum exterior or any exposed cables.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 05-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
BC30 is a very small camera that clips nicely onto a license plate. I mounted mine w/o drilling the aluminum exterior or any exposed cables.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any photos of where you put the cables, the transmitter & where you tapped power from?

Thanks!

Dex
Old 05-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Dex,

Do you have the recessed black plastic license plate housing ?

That what mine has and I ran all from inside but about 5” of cable and camera.

I didn’t say it was easy and mine is rear bed.

My transmitter is at the front and I just run the extension cable to camera. Disconnect and stow when not used.

Gary
Old 05-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
My transmitter lays on the rear bed. Camera in the rear window.. We forgot to unplug the camera when we left. When we returned, the camera image popped up at least 200 feet away. The only time we had interference was not taking the reflectix out of the front window.

Works for us

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I have the same size trailer and a 770RV GPS. I attached the camera up by the middle marker light using stainless sheet metal screws and Silkaflex sealant but double sided VHB tale and Silkaflex might have done the trick. I then ran the wire (with the Garmin extension) on the roof to right in front of the AC unit. I then mounted an all-weather box on the roof with VHB tape and Silkaflex and put the teansmitter inside. I then got the power through the solar prewire run.

Rock solid radio connection.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thank you! This is great info. Could you tell me how you located the solar prewire run and what power you tapped into once you got through the run?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by easler7267 View Post
Thank you! This is great info. Could you tell me how you located the solar prewire run and what power you tapped into once you got through the run?
Mine is a FC25FB Twin so for me the solar wires (labeled) and the wires from the Tow Vehicle all come together under the head of the curb side bed through an obnoxiously small little hatch (I’ve since enlarged all that.) I tied into the running lights for the trailer so to turn on the camera, you turn on the lights. If you have a queen I’m not sure where all these wires come together. I assume under the bed.

I’m adding solar right now so I’ll be changing this because to start with I’ll use the solar prewire (too lazy right now to run heavier wires but will someday.) So this means my backup camera will be on whenever the sun shines. That works for us because we don’t drive at night enough to worry about not having a camera. Eventually it will go back to the way it is when I get new 6ga wires run.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Hillsboro , Texas
I placed mine in the inside of rear window and it works great there. No holes in trailer or camera getting dirty and having to clean the lens. My transmitter is in the hall closet, It was easier for me to pick up the 12v. If I did it over again I would connect to the 12v closer to the camera.
grwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Danville , California
Install of Garmin Back-up Camera

I mounted the camera on top of the plastic cover on the rear light (drill 2 holes; mounted with SS bolts and sealed with silicone). Ran the cable through the existing hole for the license plate light (no drilling) and into the bathroom wall. Went down the wall and drilled a hole in the floor. Used the extension wiring available from Garmin and ran the line underneath the trailer to the front of the trailer frame and mounted the receiver there. Wired directly to the battery with a marine switch from West Marine. Turns it off when not in use

Works great, no interference and I can use it while driving as well

Sorry, no pictures
Portiemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwalk View Post
I placed mine in the inside of rear window and it works great there. No holes in trailer or camera getting dirty and having to clean the lens. My transmitter is in the hall closet, It was easier for me to pick up the 12v. If I did it over again I would connect to the 12v closer to the camera.
Interesting. I was planning on just running a temp extension through the trailer and pack it up when not using it. That way I'd get the transmitter near the front window. But you say you'd go farther back?
For power, I plan on taking out one of the many USB charging ports and replacing it with a cigar lighter plug.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
For those of you mounting your backup camera inside, how did you mount the camera? Specifically, the camera to the trailer? Ram mount? Action Camera mount? Home made?
I'm thinking of a plate under
the rear cabinet> Ram arm > handlebar clamp holding the camera,
but it seems like more hardware than necessary.

Have you found the transmitter to be directional? Upright or flat?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
If you mount the camera from under the cabinet, do you plan to shoot through the screen? If you never open the rear window, you could remove the screen and get the camera as close to the glass as possible. I would make a mount to attach to the glass to get the camera close to the glass. And have the cable come through/under the screen.

My transmitter lays flat on the bed facing up. Per the mounting instructions, the transmitter is directional.

John
Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post
If you mount the camera from under the cabinet, do you plan to shoot through the screen?
Maybe. I haven't opened the window yet! I figured if I got close as possible to the glass, the screen would be out of focus.
Quote:
you never open the rear window, you could remove the screen and get the camera as close to the glass as possible. I would make a mount to attach to the glass to get the camera close to the glass. And have the cable come through/under the screen.
I'm soaking this all in. How does your camera attach to your mount? I wish someone made a "action mount" with the two tabs, like on the GoPro camera shell. There's a million pieces with the three tabs to engage it, but nothing except ones with a 1/4 x 20 camera screw. I'm not sure why I'm adverse to the adhesive mounts. I know they're plenty strong. In my mind, the cabinet underside was higher, and a Ram arm gave me adjustment room close to the glass. I just hate to have a "headbuster" under the cabinet, although you sure can't walk under there.
Quote:
My transmitter lays flat on the bed facing up. Per the mounting instructions, the transmitter is directional.
Camera not here yet, I downloaded the manual though.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwalk View Post
Grwalk,

How did you attach the camera to the window? Do you have pictures?

John
Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is a picture of mine mounted in rear window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C464C4A0-3D3E-4912-9C55-06CE0A94006C.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	311563  
grwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's the plan.
I have the camera on a Ram arm. It will attach to the underside of the cabinet using a threaded insert (hoping to hit a solid part of the cabinet.)
In reading the manual, the camera and transmitter require 150 milliamps.
So I've ordered a adaptor to convert one of the USB outlets to a 12v. lighter receptacle. Then I'll attach a 12v. lighter plug on the power cord.
After determining a permanent place for the transmitter, I'll remove one USB and make the outlet permanently 12v. (Or put a 12v. outlet tying into the overhead cabinet where the reading lights are.)
Now the rear screen is also the emergency exit from the bedroom, so pulling the screen is a one time deal. It cannot be replaced except by the dealer so I'll try hard to keep it intact.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have the garmin 760
the camera is mounted high on the rear of our 22FB,
the transmitter is taped to the back side of the shower facing the TV
the remote is power by the trailer running light which i got from the rear outside lights.

why?

when i turn on the TV headlights, the AS running lights come on and the the camera is powered.

thus i can turn on/off the camera remotely by turning on/off the TV headlights.

when it comes on , the GPS auto switches to rear view
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote