Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Garman GPS 765 blowing fuse

I have an interesting situation, my Garman GPS blows the fuse on the switched 12 volt outlet but not the unswitched. I have, just for the sake of trying to understand, upped the fuse in the swithced to 30 amp and it still blows, but the 20 amp unswitched does not. Any clue to what is going on?
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Start by looking at the working end of the lighter plug on the Garmin's power cable. They have been known to come loose and lose parts. Then look into the sockets and see if you can spot something in one that shouldn't be in there. Maybe the nut that belongs on the plug???
Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Thanks YD have done all of that to no avail. It works on a continiously hot outlet but not on one that is switched. Have tried it on 4 different cars with the same results. Specs on the GPS say 10 amps max and the power to the unit has a built in fuse as well and it didn't blow only the car fuse went and that was a 30 amp. Why would I blow a 30 amp when the 10 amp fuse held?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I think you've ruled out the Garmin and its power cable, it works in 4 different cars including the unswitched socket. The focus is on the one switched outlet. Do you have another 12v device you can plug in to test it? From what you've said, I have to believe the problem is in the socket.

Has this ever worked in the switched socket? If so, when did the problem start? Was anything done or changed under or behind where this socket is mounted? Just some thoughts.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sounds like the socket for the plug on the switched socket has a short. Try replacing it, they're only a few dollars at the auto parts store.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
it fails in all 4 cars in a switched outlet but not in an unswithced
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
Ahh, I think many of us misunderstood that. I know I did. In that case, try plugging in the 12 volt adapter to the car first, without it being connected to the Garmin. If the fuse still blows, it's in the 12 volt adapter, if it doesn't blow, then plug in the Garmin to the adapter with it still plugged into the outlet. If it doesn't blow then, your Garmin is possessed, either replace it or get an exorcist.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
what did garmin say?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Yes, I misunderstood also. I'm stumped, but came across this link that sounds similar. They were focusing on sockets of different diameter. I don't think they solved it either.

Trying the cable first without the Garmin connected is a great suggestion.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ing-fuses.html
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Garmmin said thanks for the request and they will get back to me one day I just find it strange that it works fine in the unswitched outlet but not in the switched. Was curious if the auto companies did something strange in the switched outlets. I mean there is no sensible way that it would blow a 30 amp fuse the wire would melt and self destruct with that kind of load. was hoping that someone had seen the problem as many of us use the nuvi. I have one on my dodge truck and it causes no problems in either outlet. Possessed by Gremlins is the answer

Tags
garmin