Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
electric system(s)

Hi Everybody,
I am almost finished gutting my 67 Safari 22. I want to replace most all of the elec. system. I am hoping somebody can direct me on what I should do, and more importantly, what not to do. What components and where is the best place to purchase all.
Thank you for input and being there for all of us newbies!
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would start here.
Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar - Airstream Forums
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
PD 9245C 45 Amp RV Converter/Charger

http://www.bestconverter.com/12-Posi...l#.UVD0T781jOE

Get a small circuit breaker box at HD or Lowes and some appropriate breakers.

Get a good battery...AGM and don't need to go crazy on the expensive ones. You might want a battery isolation switch but not necessary.

Look at the system descriptions here and put it all where you can get at it without contortions....remember, you will be working on it in the dark if it comes to that.

Use 12 x 2 Romex and there are sources for 12 gauge, 2 wire, black and white, encased wire. It is great. Use black for power and white for ground and keep it standardized.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Remember that one often ends up adding gadgetry over time, and being able to get wires from cabinet to cabinet afterward is very handy. Consider using some sort of raceway/conduit to make this a simpler task. If the shell is off (or even just the bellypan), some plastic flex routed under the floor will make subsequent additions easier.

If you're going with LEDs, consider using lighter wires for lighting circuits w/ fuses to match. Anything driving motors, etc. will be regular size, of course.

Chafe/penetration damage is a real problem over the long haul; protectig and restraining wires will help prevent problems down the road.

Airstream often left 12V connections in cabinets w/ simple crimped wire nuts. Consider using plastic boxes to help protect such wires and joints. Of course, no connections where you cannot get at them easily!

All 120V wiring needs to be done to code.

If you're planning an inverter, that needs to be next to the batteries. If solar is in your future, plan for that now, too.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
......Use black for power and white for ground and keep it standardized.....
I assume you are speaking about 120V here? I once, many years ago, purchased my first automotive lift and decided to wire it up myself. As an aspiring auto mechanic I was familiar with most 12 volt systems using black as ground (VW's being the exception). Thus armed with that logic I wired the 220 volt motor with the black wire connected to the lifts chassis or ground.
Talk about a shocking experience .
Well after that episode I began to force myself to learn more about a/c wiring so that today I can get the job done. At least with simple matters....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Look for a thread (now 2 years old) by "lucymcdog". This lady totally rewired her trailer. She had "zero experience" when she started. The job turned out great.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Wow, thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. I don't want to re-invent the wheel here.
I am not taking off the interior walls, I don't see a need as yet!
Thanks for taking the time.
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote