Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
ebooks: thumbs up or down? Which brand?

So whats the 411 on those Kindle things and the other ebook platforms?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
I absolutely LOVE e-books on my iPad. Although its a bit spendy for the iPad itself, you'll get the best library because you have access to the apple ibooks, plus apps for both the Kindle and Nook books. Although I haven't played with the nook software, I am about equalkly please with the other two.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Kobo

Hello ... I have Kobo and love it... still mastering it... and now I need to get my MOM's Sony Ereader going...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I've had my first generation Kindle since they came out and I still really like it.

One of the things I like is the e-ink display that works just as well outdoors as it does indoors. While I've not used an iPad, I suspect it can't do as well outdoors. Pure subjective opinion, but I think my eyes don't get as tired looking at an e-ink display.

Kindle also has it's own internet connection included and it works most places I've tried. It's browser is clunky and slow, but if you don't have another internet connection, you can sure use it to check email and do simple browsing.

Ebook pricing has increasingly become an issue. Bestsellers were initially $9.99 from Amazon, but publishers have pushed that up quite a bit higher. It's hard for me to pay more for an ebook than a hardback. Don't like feeling gouged.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I have a Kindle and have found many free e books that I have been enjoying in addition to the books you can buy on Amazon. There are several websites where you can download free books to your Kindle (and other formats). If you want to try a Kindle for free, go to Amazon and download a free Kindle for your PC. It will be on your PC and you can have access to all the stuff published for Kindle. You will be able to judge if you like reading in this format. The only thing you will not be able to judge is the Kindle screen itself, which I like better than a computer screen and how the Kindle feels in your hand. I think the Kindle is easier on the eyes and is easier to hold than a book.

All the best,
Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I'm wondering if they have gotten to the point that they are comfortable to use (I read a lot). I love the feel of a book in my hands. On the other hand, it would be cheaper, would solve some space issues, and I like the idea of getting news papers and magazines direct. Dunno.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Rodney,

I haven’t read a book on my new iPad yet but it’s hard to imagine anything better for it.

The iPad has liberated me. I no longer have to hunt for libraries or look out for wi-fi places.

A little “ping” tells me I’ve received an email, inside the trailer or out anywhere else.

The map function is fantastic. You’ve got notes, contacts, calendars, weather, iTunes - on and on.

Pretty much every newspaper in the world worth reading and the Airstream Forums too. The reading experience is nifty. It’s like holding the New Yorker in your hand, only cooler.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I got a Kindle soon as they came out. Liked it so well I bought a second one as soon as they had a model that would download books while I was out of the U.S. Have read maybe 100+ books on them. I NEVER go ANYWHERE without one. I do a lot of long-distance travel and used to cram two or three books into a suitcase for longer trips. Now it's just this thin little machine.

Main thing I like is that a charge of the battery will last me nearly two weeks worth of travel reading. Find a friend and try out his / hers. Within twenty or thirty pages of reading, you just forget it's not a book and read away.

I don't use it for any of the fancy functions like "reading to me" or email or newspapers or such. Just books. Works fine. Others just as good or better? Probably. Like I say, find a friend and try one out. If you travel a lot, you'll love it.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have the iPad with 3G wireless and apps for Nook (Barnes & Noble) as well as Amazon so that I can download books from 3 sources. If I didn't have to deal with Quicken, I would toss my laptop and go strictly with my iPad.

Only down side is the bad habit of buying best sellers on a weekly basis. Gets expensive after awhile!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We've used the Kindle app on our iPhones for a long time. No complaints whatsoever.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
I've read about a dozen books on my IPad, and about 2 on a kindle. The iPad is a Jack of all trades, master of none. the kindle shines as a reader only. if you want really long battery life and great visibility in daylight Kindle is your machine.

if you want a media/internet appliance that allows you to read books, watch video, surf the web, and about a hundred other things, get an iPad. Just don't think you can throw away your computer. It does about 70% of the duties my computer would do. it does most of the functions listed above well. just not quite as well as a good dedicated product would do.

Either product will feel different than a book. But it does allow me to carry many books on a trip. That's really important to me since I will normally read 4-6 books on a two week trip.

good luck
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
My Kindle is perfect for my full timing lifestyle. Lots of books on Kindle, no weight added to the Airstream. I prefer older books and lots of them are free!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
For my money the iPad is the best all around. Since I got mine I haven't used my lap top, read a bunch of ebooks and listen to podcasts on the road... Greta gizmo!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Love the Kindle but its charger adds another needle to the haystack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chargers 003.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	114096  
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Rodney Tamara got a Sony Reader and likes it a lot. She got a library card from Alburquerque and downloads lots of books for free. She just loves it.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
Ipad vs. Kindle
iPad doesn't do well in superbright direct sunlight. No problem with regular outdoors, but don't expect to sit on the beach on a hot sunny day and read. Kindle is ok in these circumstances
Kindle doesn't do well indoors, unless you have lighting. Like on a plane or in the bedroom. iPad is backlit so you can sit in a pitch black room and still read.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Have a Kindle, and love it. My husband has the larger one so he can get really big print on the screen.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I think I read somewhere that the Kindle has a PDF reader, how do you get your PDFs onto the machine? Through a local wireless connection somehow?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Rodney, the artist residing in you should have the full power of the iPad.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Rodney, the artist residing in you should have the full power of the iPad.

Sergei
Thanks. However, the artist is a poor one. Besides, I really just want the thing for reading.