Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #41
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Rodney,

Having used the Kindle for a while are you glad you spent the extra $$ for the 3G function?

Kevin
Thats a good question. I haven't been away from home wifi enough yet to tell if it will pay off. I also don't know whose network they are on, so I do not have a feel for how good coverage is. My thinking is that it should make getting books on the road easier.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #42
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Pirate Free E-Book Downloads

Regarding free e-book downloads, many of them are complete copyright infringements, totally pirated books offered free on the internet, including all of the technical books I have authored.

You cannot imagine how an author feels to work for two years on a book, only to have a bunch of websites pirate it and offer it for free.

Despite the temptation to download an e-book to an iPad, Kindle or Sony for free, it pays to remember that authors and publishers ARE damaged by this. What is the incentive to write or publish when all that work is stolen and transmitted to non-paying readers?

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #43
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
Regarding free e-book downloads, many of them are complete copyright infringements, totally pirated books offered free on the internet, including all of the technical books I have authored.

You cannot imagine how an author feels to work for two years on a book, only to have a bunch of websites pirate it and offer it for free.

Despite the temptation to download an e-book to an iPad, Kindle or Sony for free, it pays to remember that authors and publishers ARE damaged by this. What is the incentive to write or publish when all that work is stolen and transmitted to non-paying readers?
Perhaps, but not all are. Many of the classics are, in fact, out of copyright. Im a fan of these.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Kelowna , British Columbia
We have been using a Kobo for a while and love it and the iPad is my favorite mobile device.
Got a color nook for Xmas and I'm dazzled. Now if B&N will support Canada life will be grand!
Even without the ability to buy books, we load up the readers from the e-books section at the public library.
Comparing the three devices is a bit like apples and oranges. The Kobo is the old model and it was under $100. Loads and reads books just fine even in Waikiki sun. The nook (2air should like the name) was $250 comes with a wireless browser and color screen. Still needs a computer connection to load non-Barnes and Noble books, pdfs etc. The iPad is a lot more money for a lot more machine.
IMO any e-reader is better than hauling paper around.
Canlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #45

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We have a Kindle 1 and an iPad. The iPad has a Kindle app so she gets almost all of her reading material from Amazon. The nice thing is that she can read the same book from either device and that both the Kindle and iPad app can keep track of where she is with the book. Her choice of device is completely dependent upon the reading conditions. The Kindle is the best choice in reading in bright light. The iPad showing its benefits when dealing with pictures and colors.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Rodney,

Having used the Kindle for a while are you glad you spent the extra $$ for the 3G function?

Kevin
I say don't spend the extra $$ for the 3G function. The wifi version holds hundreds of books, so load it up and head out.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #47

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
I say don't spend the extra $$ for the 3G function. The wifi version holds hundreds of books, so load it up and head out.
We were tempted to save the cash go the WiFi only route but chose the 3G/WiFi instead. Glad we did as it works great for us. The telltale was when we went to purchase...all the 3G's were sold out but they had plenty of the WiFi only versions.

Great device none the less.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Love the Kindle app on my TMobile phone. Easy to read and my book is with me anywhere i go.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
!Pad

My sister in law has a new !pad and really likes it. We took it to Costa Rica and was able to connect to wireless networks and check on email and such. A nice unit and everyone liked to use it. I will likely get one at some point. Far easier and lighter to pack around than a laptop.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #50

2005 25' International CCD
Oneonta , New York
Which Gadget?

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a techie and for either work reasons or personal play, I tend to accumulate a variety of tech gadgets. I use my PC workstation or laptop for business, my MacBook for consulting and personal use, my iPhone for phone, email and text, and I have had a Kindle reader that I love. I thought my iPad would replace most of the devices for everyday use. It hasn't. Don't get me wrong. I love it. I answer emails and use it for reading newspapers and a bunch of other daily tasks.

When it comes to reading a book, I still pick up my Kindle. It looks like a book, feels like a book, and reads like a book. No eyestrain, no temptation to check my emails, no distracted surf on the web - just the joy of falling into another literary world.

My advice is if you need a multi-purpose device then wait until April when the iPad 2 is introduced and pick one up (or check out the new Android Zoom when it is released later in the year.) If you mainly want to read a book - jump at the Kindle. It is a great price, a great gadget and backed by a great company. And you won't pay AT&T or Verizon for a monthly wireless data package!

Rissa
cda3 is offline   Reply With Quote