Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
1995 25' Excella
Hudson Oaks Tx , Texas
dvd not cummunicating with tv

DVD player not communicating with the TV

The trailer is a 2005 international 28’ the DVD/cd player is located above the couch. The player plays CD and DVD thru the speakers but the DVD with not play on the TV. The DVD sound comes thru the speakers but tv reads no signal? I had them check it at the airstream dealer and they said that there was a problem with the cable that runs from the front to the tv and that to rewire it would be $1100.00 Just for the labor. I said no and thought if I needed it I could just hook up a DVD player near the TV? I just hate to waist the JVC speakers that are mounted in the trailer ceiling. The outlet by the TV has auto out plugs? I assume those run back to the player? Is there any way or a simple way to rewire or Bluetooth without going into the ceiling panels?
wheatjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you have 3 wires between the DVD and the TV, (red, white, and yellow), the yellow is the video feed. Make sure it is plugged in at both ends.
Sound will travel through the red and white wires to the speakers.

Another option would be to remove the yellow wire from both and use the red or white wire in it.s place for a test. If that works the yellow wire is open and you need a new set of wires or live with only one side of the speakers.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
2005, HDMI was just being introduced, so can we assume you have the older composite feed? (Coax with RCA plugs.)
The DVD player is working, at least the audio is making it to the speakers.
Here's how I'd approach it.
Get a small portable TV for a test. Take a handy red/white/yellow cable and hook it between the DVD player and the portable TV. Do you see a picture? Make sure you're on the "Video" input.
If Yes, then hook that portable TV to the cable that was feeding the existing TV. (Normal up the DVD end) Do you still get a picture? If yes, then the issue is in your TV, if no than you have a problem in the cable. Cable problems are almost always in the connectors (assuming AS didn't put a screw or rivet through it.) Pick an end and cut it off, replace it with a new RCA and repeat. Since the TV swivels and the DVD player doesn't I'd suspect the TV end first.
As always, take one step at a time.

Oh, and I found soldering a RCA is a pain, so I'd just buy a RCA cable and cut the molded plug off and splice the wire.

This sounds weird, but you can "hear" video on an earbud. If you're tracing video, the sync burst sounds like static if you touch the wires to an earbud. Old Indian trick.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote