Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Moflash, the pole mount is my solution to setup and aiming of the antenna. I used the real thick gray plastic pipe, PVC schedule 80, and there are two sections of pipe shown, and I have another five-foot section in a storage tube. Sometimes the extra height is necessary to reach over the top of taller RVs. I use two Velcro straps to hold the pole to the awning bracket, and if we have the awning down, I move the antenna to the other side of the trailer.

The antenna is still carried by Radio Labs and other WiFi equipment suppliers

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/GS2400.php

Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
Well, an Airstream is essentially a Faraday Cage:

Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note the part that says:
"The reception of external radio signals, a form of electromagnetic radiation, through an antenna within a cage can be greatly attenuated or even completely blocked by the cage itself."

That's why we don't get very good reception of anything inside an airstream without some form of trickery.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Look what UPS just dropped off!

A Wifi Ranger Pro. I've been using a Linksys+Ubiquiti radio setup with pretty good results. But the old Linksys has had it and we want to be able to use a USB cell modem when we need to. I'll report back after some real world use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1142.png
Views:	178
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	148596  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #24
Aluminum Geek

2003 22' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Boise , 83703
Be sure to upgrade your UBNT radio to latest firmware via Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. and when you connect the POE's LAN connection to the WiFIRanger Pro, you may need a cross-over cable from the POE to the WFR WAN port, depending on the era of UBNT radio you have.

Other than that, once the UBNT product is up and running, hit the WFRBoost section on the Control Panel, and configure. You should be GTG. A bullet and a 8db antenna should reach out 1-2 miles LOS on wifi no problem.

I mount my bullet on the back of the roof, and allow the big aluminum roof to act as a great ground plane. Don't make the mistake of hanging it out there with no ground plane. There are some good article on Jack Mayers blog regarding that for any CPE use that has a high gain antenna.
kshogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #25
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Thanks kshogan! I found Jack's website a while back, he does have a lot of good info.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshogan View Post
Be sure to upgrade your UBNT radio to latest firmware via Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. and when you connect the POE's LAN connection to the WiFIRanger Pro, you may need a cross-over cable from the POE to the WFR WAN port, depending on the era of UBNT radio you have.

Other than that, once the UBNT product is up and running, hit the WFRBoost section on the Control Panel, and configure. You should be GTG. A bullet and a 8db antenna should reach out 1-2 miles LOS on wifi no problem.

I mount my bullet on the back of the roof, and allow the big aluminum roof to act as a great ground plane. Don't make the mistake of hanging it out there with no ground plane. There are some good article on Jack Mayers blog regarding that for any CPE use that has a high gain antenna.
What language is that?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Acronymian.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I had a cellular antenna mounted on the roof of the trailer and it is connected to a Wilson amplifier. I use a Virgin aircard plugged into a Cradlepoint CTR350 router (which is 6-inches away from the Wilson internal pickup antenna). It works really well, particularly in areas where the signal strength is low. As well, the Cradlepoint router sets up a complete wireless network in the trailer. An added advantage is that I can use a linux-based notebook without having to worry about getting drivers for the aircard.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, boost wifi signal, wifiranger