Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Dish Satellite TV - 2 Independent Channels?

In our 2017 FC25 RB, we use our Dish Pathway X1 successfully to see the same program on both our TVs. Can anyone tell me options for viewing independent channels on each TV?

Old 10-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Here's the manual -
http://www.winegard.com/help/images/...r_setup_x1.pdf

There are at least two ways to get satellite signal to a second TV.

1. Coax cable to Dish Receiver at the TV: Unless it is already installed in your trailer, you will have to run a second coax cable from the PathwayX1 to the location of the second TV and you will need a second Dish Network receiver at that location.

I'm not familiar with the wiring in the new trailers, so I can't tell you if there is a coax for satellite to the second receiver.

2. HDMI to the second TV:
If there are two (or more) coax cables from the Pathway X1 to the location of your existing Dish Network receiver, and if you have HDMI to the second TV, you may be able to reconfigure the HDMI wiring to put the second Dish receiver in line to the second TV and mount it at the same location as your existing receiver, in which case you will need a wireless remote control for the Dish receiver or some way to relay remote control commands to it from the location of the second TV.

I'm making some assumptions here, so I may have told you more than I know .

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
More info on 2 independent channels in 2017 FC25 RB

Thank you Al. I need to provide you all with more info. My Pathway X1 does have a jack for a second coax but my trailer has only 1 satellite coax jack on the outside. I was figuring I would likely need a second receiver (Wally for $97?) but was hoping that I could find a solution that would allow me to use only one outside coax from dish to trailer, and then somehow split the HDMI signal inside the entertainment compartment to go to 2 different receivers and to the 2 different TVs without stringing coax around the inside of the trailer. Is that possible?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
This raises an interesting question for me, there's two coax jacks on mine.... one marked cable, one marked satelitte, but theses are dumb connections.... why could one not use both and set one tv to cable and one to sat. ?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Sorry, I don't think so. Unless I am mistaken, Dish doesn't have the equivalent of the DirecTV Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM). A coax cable from the Pathway is required for each receiver. Does your trailer have both a satellite and cable jack? If so you might be able to use the cable jack for the second satellite input but it will take some re-wiring of the trailer, if it is possible at all. It depends on where everything is. Do you use the Pathway as a portable, or is it on the roof? If on the roof you might be able to run the second coax to the vicinity of the TV and go in through the roof to where the TV is and mount the second receiver there.

If a portable, maybe you could come in through a storage compartment or something like that. Both my Safari 25 and my Classic 30 were/are twin bed models. The curbside storage compartment is under the curbside bed and right at the bedroom TV. Think outside the box....storage compartments, wheel wells, refrigerator compartment, water heater, etc. What is close to your second TV?

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 10-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
This raises an interesting question for me, there's two coax jacks on mine.... one marked cable, one marked satelitte, but theses are dumb connections.... why could one not use both and set one tv to cable and one to sat. ?
It could work, but some re-wiring would be required. If the newer trailers are wired like mine, the Cable input goes to the ANTENNA/CABLE switch panel and that circuitry has splitters that will not pass the necessary control signals from the receiver to the dish or the signal from the dish to the receiver. However, you possibly could reconfigure the wiring so that the Cable coax was patched to the second TV area if there are no splitters in line and use it for a second satellite receiver. But unless you added some switching, you wouldn't be able to get anything other than satellite at that location.

My Safari 25 was not wired for satellite, only cable. I converted the wiring. Maybe the article I wrote for our local Unit newsletter will give some ideas that can be expanded to solve this problem. Adding another dual coax plate and a switch to select what is routed to the rear TV could work.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1469409767

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 10-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Well with Directv you don't need to change your wiring. You can just use a genie receiver for the main tv and then use a wireless mini genie for the 2nd TV.

This allows independent channel selection for regular channels and playing independent DVR content that is record on the genie DVR.

In fact many of the Samsung LED TVs come with the mini genie client built in.

I don't know if there is an option like that for Dish.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetjane View Post
In our 2017 FC25 RB, we use our Dish Pathway X1 successfully to see the same program on both our TVs. Can anyone tell me options for viewing independent channels on each TV?
We have a DISH Tailgater with two coax outputs and we use two Wally receivers so that we can watch different channels on the TV's. As stated above, each Tailgater output is a single channel so one output cannot be used for two different channels.

Here's how I did it on our 2017 FC 25 rear bed.

1. We don't use the BlueRay so I replaced it with Wally #1. Feed is from the main output from the Tailgater and plugs into the Sat port. This feed is prewired to the box that holds BlueRay. Pull the BlueRay and replace with the Wally. The Wally slides right in the factory slot that held the BlueRay. HDMI output goes through the factory splitter and feeds both TV's. Simple set-up that was plug and play, i.e., no mods to the AS or to the wiring.

2. Tailgater output #2 goes to the Cable port just above the Sat port. This feed is wired with the antenna feed and the output comes out of the white plate on the inside of the AS. If you power the white plate, you get the antenna feed. If not, you get the Tailgater #2 feed. The output from the white plate goes behind the interior wall and is split by the factory to feed both TV's. The feed is returned to the dinette TV and the coax cable is attached to the back of the dinette TV. Disconnect the cable and add a splitter. Install a coax cable to the splitter output and reconnect to the TV. When in antenna mode, you can with both TV's the same way you've always done it. Now add a second coax cable to the second output of the splitter and attach it to the Wally #2 input. Then connect Wally #2 to the dinette TV's second HDMI input.

Here are the inputs to my dinette TV:
1. Wally #1 on HDMI1
2. Wally #2 on HDMI2
3. The TV input can be antenna or campground cable if the latter is connected to the Cable port. In this mode, Wally #2 isn't used.

Here are the inputs to my bedroom TV:
1. Wally #1 on HDMI
2. The TV input can be antenna or campground cable if the latter is connected to the Cable port.

Note that the channels available to Wally #2 are limited to those channels on the satellite that Wally #1 is synced to. Not a big deal as 90% of what we watch are on Sat 119. Google it to see the channel listings.

We like this set-up but YMMV, Dave

Edit: DISH just started selling a single room Tailgater and that one obviously won't allow the dual Wally set-up.