Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #1

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Anywhere , California
DirecTV Receiver Mounting in 2018 Flying Cloud 23FB

Hi all, I’ve been looking for an answer to this for a bit but so far have only found conversations about the satellite dishes themselves. I’m looking for a how-to on where to put the DirecTV dish receiver in my 2018 Flying Cloud, hoping to put it in the cabinet with the existing stereo and Bluray player. (The 2018 Flying Cloud is satellite-ready.)

I just started full-timing and have another six months of DirecTV service on my subscription I started in my apartment. Instead of paying the cancellation fee, DirecTV is coming to me with a small dish and tripod to set me up. I have the DirecTV receiver from my apartment ready to go.

I’d like to know what the requirements are for the receiver placement before the technician arrives as I won’t assume he knows what he’s doing with airstreams.

The 2018 Flying Cloud is satellite ready. I do have a satellite hookup port on the outside of the airstream along with the cable hookup.

I do not want to buy an “RV-specific” dish as I plan to drop the service when the subscription is up.

Thanks!
DoogieLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I haven't had to install one in a 23 yet, but it should have the coax in the same cabinet as the blue ray player. You may have to unscrew the cabinet in order to locate it.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When you say In A Cabinet remember you will have to have line of sight to control the unit.

I mounted one of mine to the underside of a cabinet. Just remove the cover and attach it and then fit to unit up into the cover.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Man, I am all over this satellite stuff! First, the coax is behind your Blueray player; the Blueray is held in place with velcrow under the front; slip a credit cards or something like that to lift the unit up and remove; you will see the cable. You can run the cable up to the shelf above if you want it there, or add cable connection and move around to another location if you want to mount it some where else. You could consider adding an "under" shelf between the speakers also, if you are clever and don't mind it being out.

Now, to the issues with Direct TV (AT&T).... I too, have DirectTV at home, and have tried to get DirectTV "RV" advise, several times recently...I have spent "hours" on the phone with bad information on everything from receivers, antennas, and service plans to add to my home bill. Here is what I know:
1) they do not support HD with the portable RV unit.
2) they require an "old" SD receiver to be used.
3) they "do not" have any RV type expertise available--a person or department that "understands" what your trying to accomplish. they recently referred me to an antenna manufacturer as their "surrogate" only to find out they were not affiliated with DirectTV/AT&T.
4) There are no "deals" with DirectTV lnor are they experienced with RV or remote installations.
5) Dish Network has "all" of this dialed in very well....antenna, receiver, part time plans, and installation information.
6) for the antenna/dish, get the portable "tale-gater" type model from Winegard; it is a little more expensive then the King, but supposed to have better reception. Having portable allows you to move it around to find the signal when under trees. You can find these on sale also...I would recommend a tripod and cable to lock it down...good hunting...

The best advise I have is stop by Camper World if your close to one, and talk with them...their install guys can confirm my frustrations above... I know this is more info then you wanted, but I had to get it off my chest!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Here is my experience re: Gypsydad's comments:

True, but...it's not that they don't support it, the small dishes are not technically capable of receiving the DirecTV HD signals. They were designed (by others) without considering the requirements to receive DirecTV HD.

Not true. I have used an HD receiver with a Winegard SD dish to receive DirecTV SD with no problems.
The new Genie receivers require the SWM LNB which the small dishes do not have. You can use an HD receiver, just not the latest "Genie".

3) they "do not" have any RV type expertise available--a person or department that "understands" what your trying to accomplish. they recently referred me to an antenna manufacturer as their "surrogate" only to find out they were not affiliated with DirectTV/AT&T.
True

4) There are no "deals" with DirectTV lnor are they experienced with RV or remote installations.
Comment. Deals are available for new installations, just not for current subscribers.

5) Dish Network has "all" of this dialed in very well....antenna, receiver, part time plans, and installation information.
True, but....My Winegard small dish supported two receivers, but for Dish it had to move to an alternate satellite to receive some channels. Receiver number 1 controls which channels receiver 2 could see by which satellite it was pointed at. With DirecTV multiple receivers (quantity depends on the LNB type in the dish) can independently select from all the channels. A good feature of Dish is the ability to turn service on and off monthly. With DirecTV you can only turn service on and off two (I think) times a year.

6) for the antenna/dish, get the portable "tale-gater" type model from Winegard; it is a little more expensive then the King, but supposed to have better reception. Having portable allows you to move it around to find the signal when under trees. You can find these on sale also...I would recommend a tripod and cable to lock it down...good hunting...
Not an option if you want DirecTV HD.
If you want HD on DirecTV, you have two choices. Manually align a Slimline 3 dish on a tripod or buy the (expensive) Winegard Trav'ler, either of which will work with the Genie receivers. While common knowledge says it cannot be done, I have successfully aligned my DirecTV SWM-3 dish using only the signal strength indicators and signal meters in the receiver.
It's not that hard. If you end up doing this PM me and I'll send you my process.

Edit: I have read rumors on satellite forums that DirecTV may discontinue SD service, but so far it hasn't happened.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
See reply's in Red below:

True, but...it's not that they don't support it, the small dishes are not technically capable of receiving the DirecTV HD signals. They were designed (by others) without considering the requirements to receive DirecTV HD. My point is, this is not an issue with Dish Network...HD and small dish is supported with the portable "tail gater" model.

Not true. I have used an HD receiver with a Winegard SD dish to receive DirecTV SD with no problems.
The new Genie receivers require the SWM LNB which the small dishes do not have. You can use an HD receiver, just not the latest "Genie". My point; you can not use the latest Genie...nor the "client" box I have on my other tvs in my home. With Dish Network, you can use the "client" box without even getting a new subscription...just take it with you and it works from your original subscription...does not care where it is....no extra cost at all either! My neighbor in MT uses his "extra" box form his home in Helena, at his cabin in Lincoln and also with his RV...works fine.

True Sad but True! They should have this dialed in by now...

Comment. Deals are available for new installations, just not for current subscribers. True...that sucks for existing customers for sure....

True, but....My Winegard small dish supported two receivers, but for Dish it had to move to an alternate satellite to receive some channels. Receiver number 1 controls which channels receiver 2 could see by which satellite it was pointed at. With DirecTV multiple receivers (quantity depends on the LNB type in the dish) can independently select from all the channels. A good feature of Dish is the ability to turn service on and off monthly. With DirecTV you can only turn service on and off two (I think) times a year. With Dish, as I mentioned above, you can use existing box, or you can get a separate box and go monthly. Either way, you get HD with Dish....not with DirectTV...

Not an option if you want DirecTV HD.
If you want HD on DirecTV, you have two choices. Manually align a Slimline 3 dish on a tripod or buy the (expensive) Winegard Trav'ler, either of which will work with the Genie receivers. While common knowledge says it cannot be done, I have successfully aligned my DirecTV SWM-3 dish using only the signal strength indicators and signal meters in the receiver.
It's not that hard. If you end up doing this PM me and I'll send you my process. What if your on vacation, and can't help me? Just kidding, but illustrates my point; this is a hassle with Direct TV!

Edit: I have read rumors on satellite forums that DirecTV may discontinue SD service, but so far it hasn't happened.
Al[/QUOTE]

Direct TV and ATT should have had this all worked out by now, but even more frustrating is Direct TV is way behind the curve compared to Dish in this area... I hear there is a "new" smaller portable receiver coming out in the spring...I will wait and continue to use my existing "Air or streaming wifi" till I explode or break down and get Dish!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You kids arguing about whether Dish or Directv is better seem to be forgetting the reason the OP was using Directv: He still has a contract with them.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I didn't miss the fact that OP had existing DTV service. I was trying to point out to OP that he will be fine with his plan to have a DirecTV tech hook him up with a Slimline dish on a tripod (even if his home receiver is a Genie), and if he is OK with SD he CAN use an HD receiver (just not a Genie) with a Tailgater style antenna, but he will only get the SD channels.

I agree that starting from zero Dish has the better solution but OP isn't starting from zero.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Santa Monica , California
Oc

I had the folks @ Orange County Airstream in SoCal install mine in a 2017 23FB International.

We removed the Blu-Ray player and installed a Directv HR24 in its place. This is a DVR model and does not require the additional SWM conversion kit for use like the newer receivers.

I'm using this with a Winegard Carryout G2+ dish. Airstream OC refactored the coax connection on the outside of the coach for CableTV. So now I have 2 coax ports there, one for cable and one for satellite. The power connector for the G2+ dish is inside the coach in the same cabinet right next to the HR24. That makes it super easy to just flip the power switch and off we go.

My G2+ dish is on the Winegard tripod so when I want to use it I just wire a single coax cable from the outside of the coach to the dish and put it somewhere in range of the southern sky. Flip the power switch inside and we're in business.

I bought a Logitech Harmony Hub to use as a remote control. It's powered directly from the USB port on the front of the HR24 and it can hit both the DTV box as well as the M303 receiver. So I can keep that upper cabinet closed and still have full operation of the DirecTV including volume. This solves the problem of having to keep the cabinet open and also needing to contort your body to point a remote at the DTV receiver or audio receiver from the bed.

Yes this configuration is SD only, no HD due to limitations of the dish itself. But for my purposes this wound up working very well. Super easy to set up at a new camp site with only 1 external wire, I can move the dish around to avoid trees, and I have an integrated channel/volume remote.
rjbrown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You kids arguing about whether Dish or Directv is better seem to be forgetting the reason the OP was using Directv: He still has a contract with them.
Your right; my bad...sorry for hi-jacking the discussion with my frustrations.. Thanks for reminding me...

rjbrown99- thanks for the info; sounds like a good solution. Question; why did you have to add a second coax and connection? Was the stock cable not sufficient to work with either cable or satellite set up with the Portable Winegard?
Old 12-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Have a little patience DirecTV is dropping SD

I just had a technician from DirecTV to replace my home Genie DVR this week (that I take on the road when we travel). He told me that they will be dropping SD in 2019 and will have only three satellites 101, 103, and 99. So it is going to be forced on companies Winegard to start producing carryouts for DirecTV HD as they do with Dish.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

More here: SolidSignal.com
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
DirecTV Is Negotiable

I've had DTV for 24 years. I have been able to get them to match new subscribers' pricing for the last few years. You just have to call them and tell them you want the new deal pricing. You will have to ask for a supervisor a time or two up the chain but it works EVERY time. It's a bit of a hassle and phone time, but it works. All our friends with DirecTV say they do it too now. HINT: Call just before your subscription expires.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Diamond Bar , California (winter) Montana (summer)
Don’t have any sort of sat TV on my Airstream, (just bought it) so I can’t offer any installation expertise in this discussion.

But I did spend a number of years on the road in the TV news business running a big satellite uplink truck, bouncing up and down the West Coast on news and sports assignments.

I was always “old school” and proud of my ability to find satellites using compass, inclinometer and spectrum monitor.

However, when the various satellite-finding iPhone apps came along, it made my life easier, especially when aiming the Dish network and DirectTV receiver on a small tripod next to the truck (and yes, we were tuning in on an account that was supposed to be a stationary receiver).

The app I used is called DP AR Pro. DirectTV’s satellite numbers correspond to their position in the arc (“Clarke Belt” to satellite insiders)...so if you are looking at 101 degrees in the arc on the app, that’s where DirectTV’s “101” bird will be.

You might want to download this app to make satellite finding a bit easier. Impress your neighbors, too.
DRBusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #14
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBusse View Post
Don’t have any sort of sat TV on my Airstream, (just bought it) so I can’t offer any installation expertise in this discussion.

But I did spend a number of years on the road in the TV news business running a big satellite uplink truck, bouncing up and down the West Coast on news and sports assignments.

I was always “old school” and proud of my ability to find satellites using compass, inclinometer and spectrum monitor.

However, when the various satellite-finding iPhone apps came along, it made my life easier, especially when aiming the Dish network and DirectTV receiver on a small tripod next to the truck (and yes, we were tuning in on an account that was supposed to be a stationary receiver).

The app I used is called DP AR Pro. DirectTV’s satellite numbers correspond to their position in the arc (“Clarke Belt” to satellite insiders)...so if you are looking at 101 degrees in the arc on the app, that’s where DirectTV’s “101” bird will be.

You might want to download this app to make satellite finding a bit easier. Impress your neighbors, too.

Not listed as an iPhone app
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:41 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Somerville , Massachusetts
I’m new to rv did 3 month trip
Last summer in 16’ bambi 2013 model. I want to get antenna or sattelite service so I can get reception most places without paying for cable. I mostly watch news pbs and baseball don’t need tons of channels or subscription channels just reliable reception. What’s my best option ?
somer128 is offline   Reply With Quote