Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Digital TV reception

My 2006 International (purchased new in 2008) came with a WInegard Sensar antenna. The TV is a HD Samsung flat screen. This weekend we were not able to receive over-the-air TV signals, which I guess, means that we missed out on the analog to digital conversion.

In looking at alternatives, I'm confused (easy for me). Would like to avoid using a analog to digital converter box, so does Winegard make an antenna converter of some sort or perhaps a replacement antenna that would fill the bill? I'm told they do in both cases, but don't understand whether or not either solution would solve the converter box issue? Any suggestions? Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Every new trailer location requires the TV to do a complete signal scan; specifying digital only versus analog and digital scanning should be the only change after the 'change over'.

If your TV is labeled HD it should have the digital tuner built in, check the set up menus.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Before getting a converter box or new antenna...get the model and serial number of your TV (from the unit or from your paper work) and go to the Samsung website to confirm that your TV is not digital-ready, and that you in fact need a converter. If your TV turns out to be digital ready, something else is going on. (Our 2006's Sony TV was not digital ready, by the way.) As Wabbiteer suggests, if your TV is HD, it should be digital ready. Also, do you have the booster engaged? (It's the little button next to your antenna in-line...it's lit green when engaged.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Now I will really show my ignorance. Assuming that my TV is a digital, do I need to be concerned about the antenna? Booster was on. Jack
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You will get both "yes" and "no" on that question. We still have our original bat wing antenna that we used for the analog signal...and when we can get a digital signal it's fine (in fact, amazing). There may be some signal strength advantages to a specialized antenna, but so far I have not heard anything definitive as to whether it makes a whole lot of difference. I know it's certainly not required.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks. This last post is very helpful. Jack
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking Antennas Direct.....ClearStream 4....SWEET....claims 65 miles

i took off the old winegard on my 89 squarestream and ordered a ClearStream 4 from Antenna's Direct....Amazon.com....108.00 shipped...

now this antenna arrived today and i had a few hours to work on the airstream this afternoon...took me about 20 minutes to put it together...it was really easy...look at pics and tighten screws that was about it....

so i opened and put together the antenna...then i opened and set up the new Visio 19 that i bought last week from target for 197.00....plugged the line into the trailer and literally just placed the antenna on top of the trailer no mast or post or stand or anything....just laid it against the max air vent cover to lean it up against something....did a channel seach and hit 30 digital channels....i live almost between tampa and orlando...30 channels crystal clear...SWEET....

tomorrow i will have more time to play around with it...i plan to buy 3 five foot sections of antenna mast (Lowes $6.00 ) to get the antenna about 6.5 feet over the trailer...i plan to use ubolts to mount a short 2 inch piece of PCV pipe to rear bumper...maybe a foot or so....then drop in the mast poles with antenna on top...bungee it up real good (because it is not permanent and i dont want to put any more holes for a support piece in the shell) i just want to pull into site...drop in 1 five foot section of mast...then put the other 10 foot together with antenna on top and put all 3 pieces together...giving me a 15 foot mast with a 24 inch antenna on top...

i just dont want to pay for cable...using only 2 weekends at the park...we have roadrunner at home...and i have been up on FTA for years...but they seem to be getting hit every week or so....just too much to keep up with..

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
We have the same antenna, and it is a little directional, as I could turn it and receive one station, but one of the others would drop out, in Portland Oregon.

We changed out the TV that came with the trailer, a Polaroid analog 19 inch, to a 26 inch HD Vizio. The antenna booster needs to be on for antenna reception to work. We receive tons of video stations and music feeds, whenever they are available.

You might check out the programming on the Samsung, and you can down load a manual from Samsung if it’s lost. Your TV should have a menu option to change from cable to antenna feed, and a search option to find available channels.

Your TV should work with cable hooked up from an outside source.
The antenna booster needs to be off.
If all is well, do a channel search.
If the TV works well, go to the next step and see if it will work off of the antenna.
Push the booster button on.
Do a channel search.
If the TV fails to work on the antenna, it may be a connection issue, or antenna orientation issue, check that it is raised, rotate 90 degrees, search again.

Hope this helps

Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
WE use the original Wingard on our Excella and the old folding original antenna on our '65 Caravel. both give good reception.

You must know, however, that unlike analog, which allowes you to ba a little off, with digital you need to ge pretty much right on or you get nothing.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks aqgain for the feedback. Jack
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"Assuming that my TV is a digital, do I need to be concerned about the antenna?"

My Sensar antenna receives a great HD signal without modification. In fact, I'm at Jackson Center right now, and the reception is suprisingly good given the distance. Winegard does sell an add-on that is supposed to enhance reception. So far, it has had mixed reviews.

Winegard RV-WING Wingman Sensar Antenna Upgrade (RV-WING) | RV-WING [Winegard]
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
got the antenna up this afternoon....channel search gave me 65 digitial channels...some were duplicates and some were sales and some were in spanish...i ended up with about 40 channels that i can watch and enjoy....

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We use the standard Winguard antenna with a 19" Toshiba HD TV w/DVD built in and have no problems getting multiple HD stations. As we travel around we stop and will need to do a channel scan to find the local stations. The first time I tried it, I forgot to press the signal boost on the wall plate and thought the HD signal was not going to work, but after pressing the button, it worked just fine.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Has anyone installed a "digital converter box" ? Our 2006' Airstream's sony tv is not digital ready.

Just wondering if anyone has installed a digital converter box and if it's complicated?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Monica -

I installed a digital converter for my mom's old TV. It's no big deal.

Cable from the wall connects to the converter. Cable from the converter goes to the TV. Plug the converter into an AC outlet and follow the instructions to set-up, program / scan for channels. The new converter box will likely come with it's own remote for changing channels. The TV will be forever on channel 3 or 4.

BTW - very cool blog. Super nice photos. If you can figure out how to cook Risotto, you can easily install the converter box.
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
same issue

I am going through this same process. I have verified that my Sony WEGA TV (original equipment) is not digital ready. I am ready to purchase a converter but am a little perplexed how and where to connect it. It appears that I can install the converter between the TV amp faceplate coax connector and the dual coax faceplate "cable/sat. in" coax connection. Apparently for the TV to work with the antenna, the PO installed the jumper cable between these two points so if I install the converter between these two points, theoretically, it should provide for conversion.

However, having said all of that, the diagrams in the owner's manual seem to contradict all of this. I have searched the forums and found other owners of 2006 Safari's with the same set-up as mine and they seem to use the same jumper configuration to get the TV to work on the antenna.

Before I purchase a converter box, I would sure like to know if I am on the right track.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Attached is a picture of the faceplate configuration with the jumper cable attached as per the PO. Edit: having trouble figuring out how to attach a photo, here is the link: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...0&userid=53021
Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
No need to change antennas to receive Digital TV. The antenna doesn't know or care if the signal is digital or analog. Neither does the amplifer in the wingard head.

idmtman, does the cable in your photo connect between the antenna faceplate and the sat/cable "in" port? If so, yes the convertor can go between the "out" port and the TV, or anywhere along this series of connections.

As mentioned above, you will change channels on the convertor box, not the TV. Keep the convertor where it's remote can "see" it.

Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Thanks Jeff.

I was thinking of installing the converter box along the path of the jumper cable as it currently exists. That makes the most sense to me. I appreciate the help.

Dave
Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Went to best buy to buy converter. I bought the last one and they said they would not be stocking any. Online is the way to go, I guess. Dealer installed mine for less than 30 dollars. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote