Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mesquite , Texas
Monica -

I installed a digital converter for my mom's old TV. It's no big deal.

Cable from the wall connects to the converter. Cable from the converter goes to the TV. Plug the converter into an AC outlet and follow the instructions to set-up, program / scan for channels. The new converter box will likely come with it's own remote for changing channels. The TV will be forever on channel 3 or 4.

BTW - very cool blog. Super nice photos. If you can figure out how to cook Risotto, you can easily install the converter box.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
same issue

I am going through this same process. I have verified that my Sony WEGA TV (original equipment) is not digital ready. I am ready to purchase a converter but am a little perplexed how and where to connect it. It appears that I can install the converter between the TV amp faceplate coax connector and the dual coax faceplate "cable/sat. in" coax connection. Apparently for the TV to work with the antenna, the PO installed the jumper cable between these two points so if I install the converter between these two points, theoretically, it should provide for conversion.

However, having said all of that, the diagrams in the owner's manual seem to contradict all of this. I have searched the forums and found other owners of 2006 Safari's with the same set-up as mine and they seem to use the same jumper configuration to get the TV to work on the antenna.

Before I purchase a converter box, I would sure like to know if I am on the right track.

2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
Attached is a picture of the faceplate configuration with the jumper cable attached as per the PO. Edit: having trouble figuring out how to attach a photo, here is the link: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...0&userid=53021
2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
No need to change antennas to receive Digital TV. The antenna doesn't know or care if the signal is digital or analog. Neither does the amplifer in the wingard head.

idmtman, does the cable in your photo connect between the antenna faceplate and the sat/cable "in" port? If so, yes the convertor can go between the "out" port and the TV, or anywhere along this series of connections.

As mentioned above, you will change channels on the convertor box, not the TV. Keep the convertor where it's remote can "see" it.

Regards,
jdalrymple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
Thanks Jeff.

I was thinking of installing the converter box along the path of the jumper cable as it currently exists. That makes the most sense to me. I appreciate the help.

Dave
2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Went to best buy to buy converter. I bought the last one and they said they would not be stocking any. Online is the way to go, I guess. Dealer installed mine for less than 30 dollars. zz
Old 03-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
Has anyone installed a "digital converter box" ? Our 2006' Airstream's sony tv is not digital ready.

Just wondering if anyone has installed a digital converter box and if it's complicated?
Our Sony was HD compatible but not have a digital tuner built in. We thought about using a converter, they only cost $26-40 depending on where you purchase and are easy to install. But we decided to use the old sony as a Computer Monitor since it had the appropriate connections and replaced it with a nicer set. All I have to do now is replace that stupid swing out bracket with a fixed mount.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #22
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Brought the Sony Wega into the house and hooked up to Dish satellite. Works great.

Stuffed converter box in garage.

Ordered new 12 volt tv for trailer which hooks up to the Sony 12 DVD player.
Who needs electric hookups.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_ee View Post
Our Sony was HD compatible but not have a digital tuner built in. We thought about using a converter, they only cost $26-40 depending on where you purchase and are easy to install. But we decided to use the old sony as a Computer Monitor since it had the appropriate connections and replaced it with a nicer set. All I have to do now is replace that stupid swing out bracket with a fixed mount.
If your 31 is set up like ours, put in a fixed mount and you won't be able to read the comfort control.
I can't read the display on our comfort control until I move the TV out of the way.

Ken
Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Winegard also makes a simple add on for the Batwing. At least Winegard claims a significant reception boost at the higher number stations using this "Wingman".
Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
"Ordered new 12 volt tv for trailer which hooks up to the Sony 12 DVD player.
Who needs electric hookups. "

Mojo's got the right idea here ... "we don't need no stinkin' converter boxes!" ... especially if they need 120v. It's pretty nice to be able to boondock without generator or inverter and still run the whole shebang off the batteries and solar panels on 12v. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #26
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idmtman View Post
I am going through this same process. I have verified that my Sony WEGA TV (original equipment) is not digital ready. I am ready to purchase a converter but am a little perplexed how and where to connect it. It appears that I can install the converter between the TV amp faceplate coax connector and the dual coax faceplate "cable/sat. in" coax connection. Apparently for the TV to work with the antenna, the PO installed the jumper cable between these two points so if I install the converter between these two points, theoretically, it should provide for conversion.

However, having said all of that, the diagrams in the owner's manual seem to contradict all of this. I have searched the forums and found other owners of 2006 Safari's with the same set-up as mine and they seem to use the same jumper configuration to get the TV to work on the antenna.

Before I purchase a converter box, I would sure like to know if I am on the right track.
I'm going to take the plunge and buy a converter box. I'll post pictures of the process once I get it. Sounds like you and I have the same setup
Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #27
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner61 View Post
Monica -

I installed a digital converter for my mom's old TV. It's no big deal.

Cable from the wall connects to the converter. Cable from the converter goes to the TV. Plug the converter into an AC outlet and follow the instructions to set-up, program / scan for channels. The new converter box will likely come with it's own remote for changing channels. The TV will be forever on channel 3 or 4.

BTW - very cool blog. Super nice photos. If you can figure out how to cook Risotto, you can easily install the converter box.
That was such a nice compliment, thank you!! Also your instructions sound pretty simple/intuitive -- I have faith I will be able to do it.!!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #28
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_ee View Post
Let me know how that works out for you. I would love a fixed mount for our TV instead of the swing out bracket.