Old 08-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Desktop/Laptop router, wireless question

The computer guru paid a "house call" today....$214 I am having trouble installing my Belkin Notebook Card and getting it to work here at home.

The problem seems to be/to have been my notebook has a BIG problem; the guru took it to his shop and will "restore" it....I still had the restore CDs.

My question is: Is my hard-wired desktop--connected to the router--safe from spying I understand that the laptop (wirelessly connected) won't be safe.

We use...actually Brenda does our financial life/bill paying on-line. Is my desktop "doings" in jeopardy--can my neighbors (there is a lot of wifi in my neighborhood) spy?

I have "password" protection on my router. By the way, the guru says I did the router install right.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Password protecting your router stops someone from taking control of your router, but does not set security between it and someone trying to use it to gain access to the internet. To do that, you need to configure the router, using whatever means it provides, to limit what computer(s) can connect.

One older method is wep (go google it). WEP is a password system where you type in a password at the router - it then takes that and generates it's own set of passwords. You then take one of it's generated passwords and enter it into the connecting computers wireless network configuration, which then allows the router and computer to handshake, if you will.

In http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...car-33075.html I added some comments that may prove helpful to you.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I know this isn't what you asked, but I had a problem with my laptop and Belkin wireless network card. It seems Windows and Belkin both are trying to run the card. I had to check "allow windows to manage this connection", and go to "start", "run", type "msconfig", and uncheck the Belkin utility there. click "apply", and "restart". Windows will now operate the card, with no conflicts.
What mine did was disengage the card every couple of minutes, or whenever I unplugged from a/c/ power.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Terry, my laptop had a problem somewhat similar to yours, I think....except it could not process signals. It picked up (5) local wifis...my neighbors....most are identified by name--Watson, Martinez, and some by where they came from like Texas.....

My question concerns the safety of my desktop. I set a WEP code and a password.

Is my router spreading my information received from B of A all over the neighborhood? The desktop is hard-wired to the router; the router is password protected and something called WEP (or was it WPA) is in there too.

Kistler

PS--the "guru" took my laptop home to do extended work=restoration...something got lost somewhere or else I guess I trash it.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Kistler,

When the time comes to replace those problematic machines, go down to your nearby Apple store and get a computer or two that will simplify your life and save you more than a few bucks in the long run.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Don't Macs cost more? I/we started in LAUSD with MacIntoshs.....years ago but in the late 70s and 80s there was more software for PCs, we thought. We switched.

Kistler
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I would not recommend using a router on your laptop...won't want to cut anything off ! ) Oh, you're talking about computers here...go Mac.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
Don't Macs cost more? I/we started in LAUSD with MacIntoshs.....years ago but in the late 70s and 80s there was more software for PCs, we thought. We switched.

Kistler
Another myth, an incredibly persistent myth. Check it out for yourself and consider total cost of ownership. If you really need DOS software, which you probably won't, then you could run that on the Mac with Parallels, VMware, or Bootcamp. In point of fact, Macs now run more software than any Microsoft-based PC you could possibly buy. What price agony?

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Why does this site show (3) replies and there at least (6)?

Kistler
Old 08-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Number of Replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
Why does this site show (3) replies and there at least (6)?

Kistler
Hi Kistler,

My guess is that you are looking at a cached version. It’s showing 8 in mine. Try refreshing the page.

Talk to your guru about Media Access Control (MAC) filtering on the wireless. The MAC, not to be confused with Mac, number will be on the back of your Belkin card. I have MAC filtering on the 2wire router that I got when I setup SBC’s DSL. It only allows network devices with a MAC address in a specified table. Currently none, since my Mac is connected via cable. People could see my network, but not connect to it.

Vaughan
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
some routers will allow MAC filtering where you can designate what computer MAC addresses are allowed to use your wireless connection. The MAC address is a alpha-numeric number that is alloted to any network hardware and would look like this 00-0F-A5-72-BF-14.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65glbtrotter
some routers will allow MAC filtering where you can designate what computer MAC addresses are allowed to use your wireless connection. The MAC address is a alpha-numeric number that is alloted to any network hardware and would look like this 00-0F-A5-72-BF-14.
This is how ours, and most of our computer-literate friends, have their wireless routers set up. You have to manually enter the MAC address for each unit allowed on your network (a good thing--stops pirating of your bandwidth).