Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Cable hook up 1987 Sovereign

Please bear with me, this is my first post and first airstream! Just brought the 2 new tv's to install them, one in front and one in back. Then I realize there is no external place to hook the cable!!!! Now what!!!!

Deb
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
There really should be a cable hookup connection behind a (probably stuck) little 3" by 4" trap door on the left side of trailer.. Looks like the little doors used to cover the external 110V electrical outlets.. Use strong screwdriver at bottom edge in center to pop up trap door (hinged at top) and you'll see cable threaded connector perhaps sticking out from left side of compartment. Some units of that vintage also have telephone cable jack in there... That gets cable to box inside trailer, and some had two wall panels inside (front and rear). The 25's often only had inside cable connection near front..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I gained access to the inside cabin through the vent panel at the rear of the frig. My frig is ajoining the shelf meant for the front TV. I drilled a hole below the shelf from the rear of the frig into the cabinet below the TV shelf, then up through the shelf at the rear corner behind the TV.

Now in order to connect the rear TV, you could splice the cable wire behind the wall junction box from the roof antenna with a flip switch to feed the rear TV. The flip switch being used for either the roof antenna or the cable. My 1985 did not come with any cable access panels or any sort.

I hope I was clear enough, it does work and you don't have to run a wire to the rear TV from the front TV, you use the exiting wire in the junction box to the rear TV. Good Luck!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Ha brilliant!! It was stuck!! Ok, now cable in. I do have two hook ups. Want to attach one set to the closet wall and one to the fridge wall! I will have to use a cable box when it is a home, comcast. But, I'm hoping that at campgrounds just a direct connection? Any Imput there?
Thank you for a rapid fire and correct reply!! Oh yeah the phone jack is in the way can I take it out?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
I hope that I can figure out a way to reinforce the fridge wall to hold the tv mount. No problem to do that in the bed room but space is an issue beside the fridge.

Deb
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobiedoobie View Post
I hope that I can figure out a way to reinforce the fridge wall to hold the tv mount. No problem to do that in the bed room but space is an issue beside the fridge.

Deb
I slid the fridge out and put a piece of 3/8" plywood between the wall and the fridge for the TV to mount to.
Yes, I made that sound easy...
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
BTW overlander63, I was just in your store last Wednesday!! I think.....
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
If you are adding a flat screen TV, it is possible to skip the fancy mount and hang (when parked..) the front TV from sturdy picture hook. We used steel small cable around screws on rear of 19" HDTV with built-in DVD player and double screw steel hook on wall by fridge.. When ready to move, TV comes off wall and rides packed in large towels inside couch armrest compartment.. If fancy swivel mount ever does come loose when trailer in motion, it will be expensive mess..

Oh, and we used 90 degree cable fitting to avoid issue with phone jack connection.. Didn't bother removing, but could. That jack probably won't work for incoming DSL or internet...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign