Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Blind Spot Cameras?

I'm considering setting up a set of blind spot cameras on my 34' Avion travel trailer. The blind spot system comprises 3 cameras (rear view plus one camera on each side near the front of the trailer to assist in backing up on the blind side).

I'm finding blind spot camera systems for motorhomes and some that allude to the idea that they can be used on trailers, but so far I haven't found specific examples of systems that work on travel trailers.

Finally, has anyone seen weatherproof video and control connectors?

I'm wondering if anyone on Airforums has done this, or know anyone who has?

Also, on two previous trailers that I put back-up cameras on, in both cases the image worked fine initially upon each trip, but the image became "foggy" after about 10 minutes of use. In both cases the cameras were IP-67 or IP-68 rated (completely hermetically sealed) such that water intrusion should not have been a factor. So I'm wondering if I'm getting "ground float", which can happen if multiple grounds occur. To prevent that, I used the 7-way ground as the single ground point for the trailer and for the cameras, so ground should not float as it could if there were a separate ground for the cameras.

I'd love to get the benefit of the vast pool of knowledge and experience here on Airforums. Any wisdom or opinions would help.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I thought of a 3 camera system (mine's a 27) but found a single voyager on the rear and my 2 side mirrors have me overlapping coverage so it wasn't needed. The voyager hasn't fogged (been in a few rain storms). The outer glass does get water on it so sometimes the image isn't perfect.

Just one opinion - if you need the 3 cams, I believe voyager does that and given my experience with the single cam, I'd highly recommend it!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
I'm thinking of a 3 camera system (4 actually with one on the hitch), because I have to back into parking spaces with no help and I often have to get out several times in order to check the blind side while backing the trailer into an angled (or right angled) parking spot.

A camera on the back plus one on the blind side (which can be either side depending on whether the parking spot is left or right) will help me back into any spot.

When I used to have a 37' "BA" fifth wheel (before aluminum), I once ripped the rubber roof backing into a spot with a low overhanging branch, and I have nearly hit a power pedestal another time.

The Voyager is the one I am looking at, but I need to figure out how to make a reliable waterproof connection for the three cameras and the control cable (for the 2-position rear camera).

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
When you say connection do you mean between the trailer and tow vehicle?
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote