Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Zep, thanks for the in depth analysis. In fact if I'm not mistaken you can simply turn off the golf courses if you wish on the left margin. You can select a location / intersection and right click to add it to the navigation as a waypoint.

I like that it doesn't leave a breadcrumb trail as this gets to be a mess for me on screen by the end of the day.

But like all GPS mapping solutions is it perfect, maybe not. Is it better than folding old maps, you bet. I keep my resolution where I can react to street changes according to speed. Often routing will have an idea but you can avoid situations you aren't comfortable with driving a large or long combination.

Keith at NeverSearch does webinar sessions daily almost for the golf reps using his software. I'm sure if enough of you expressed interest he'd be happy to do the same for out group.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
... In fact if I'm not mistaken you can simply turn off the golf courses if you wish on the left margin. You can select a location / intersection and right click to add it to the navigation as a waypoint.
But like all GPS mapping solutions is it perfect, maybe not. Is it better than folding old maps, you bet. I keep my resolution where I can react to street changes according to speed. ....
Yes, you can turn off some details. All maps vary in the amount of labeling, some more, some less. Each useful in its own circumstance.

I actually like many features of NeverSearch, although I am much more of a map enthusiast than a "places" enthusiast. I'm going to keep both systems--each has it's merits. I did discover that I can run both softwares simultaneously displaying moving maps with two GPS units plugged in. Ozi has a quirk in that although it is often updated, for some reason the developer has retained only a serial interface to the GPS. This requires a little helper ap to convert the GPS USB port into a pseudo serial port. By happy circumstance this "conceals" that USB from NeverSearch, so it sees the other GPS and both programs run independently. I like this because now I can run NeverSearch as kind of a macro map and Ozi with a detailed topo and switch back and forth on the task bar.

I just wish Keith would rename it "Never Search for Places" or something not so specific to you know what.

Hey, what do you mean by the blue text?

Zep
Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
One thing everyone may want to check with their GPS units is the preference settings. If for some strange reason you have a preferance for a dirt road over an interstate highway and the GPS unit is programmed that way then the GPS unit will route you that way and make every effort to send you down a dirt road whenever possible.

Take a look at your settings, make it a habit to check online for route updates to your unit and ALWAYS buy a map.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Zep, I had need to speak with Keith at Never-Search and in fact he is very interested in pursuing a "Never-Search Camping" model. The beauty of Never-Search is that it can be customized for just about any special interest travel group.

In fact the current model that I just upgraded has built in... which of course can be toggled on or off...
1. All Camping World locations.
2. KOA Campgrounds
3. 1000 Trails
4. Camp California (whatever that might be)

He has at the top of his priority list the "other" state camping associations to duplicate the effort in CA.

For those looking for a great Christmas gift or gift request I'd suggest a netbook like the little Acer Aspire One 10" I'm working on. It's small enough to not be in the way but big enough that my old eyes can still see. I've got Never-Search working with the GPS USB dongle and couldn't be happier.

I roll into places regularly and look around and say to myself, "oh yea, I've been here before."

Never-Search For Golf for a free trial. Free is good!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Zep, I had need to speak with Keith at Never-Search and in fact he is very interested in pursuing a "Never-Search Camping" model. ...

In fact the current model that I just upgraded has built in... which of course can be toggled on or off...
1. All Camping World locations.
2. KOA Campgrounds
3. 1000 Trails
4. Camp California (whatever that might be)
For those looking for a great Christmas gift or gift request I'd suggest a netbook like the little Acer Aspire One 10" I'm working on...
I use the acer when I travel by air. Love it. It'a almost a real computer and sure beats the keyboards and screens on PDAs.

The problem with making a Never-Search for Camping is that the camping I want to know about are the boondocking freebie locations, not the KOAs!

Zep
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's an idea...

Quote:
Zep, I had need to speak with Keith at Never-Search and in fact he is very interested in pursuing a "Never-Search Camping" model. The beauty of Never-Search is that it can be customized for just about any special interest travel group.
Might make sense to have a Never-Search/Woodall's combo. I mean, at the end of the day when you have been driving longer than planned (for any one of about fifty reasons), so you know you won't reach the CG you wanted, what do YOU do?

Thumb through that big huge book? Run the clunky CD they give with it?

I say clunky because the data could have been authored in a much more user-friendly way. Integrating it into a good mapping software would let you read about choices "on the fly" in the speed you need to do that.

Just a thought...
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
I use the acer when I travel by air. Love it. It'a almost a real computer and sure beats the keyboards and screens on PDAs.

The problem with making a Never-Search for Camping is that the camping I want to know about are the boondocking freebie locations, not the KOAs!

Zep
I have the slightly older ACER with the 8.9" screen. I use in in the car for INTERNET via Verizon. I have a program called storm predator which displays weather radar real-time (or nearly). It kept us clear of some severe thunderstorm in Nebraska and Iowa this summer. Are there any programs that will give audio turn by turn instructions similar to my Garmin GPS?
I got my Toshiba Tablet PC out a couple of days ago, and dusted it off.
Right now it has my mapping programs on it. I just signed up to have the Good Sam campground software sent to me for free trail.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"Are there any programs that will give audio turn by turn instructions similar to my Garmin GPS?"

- Microsoft Streets & Trips
- Delorme Street Atlas
- Garmin Mobile PC... all work on laptops with a GPS receiver (USB)
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
If you let your wife navigate then she could be giving you the turn by turn information.... though you might not be able to turn the voice off when you want to.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
If you let your wife navigate then she could be giving you the turn by turn information.... though you might not be able to turn the voice off when you want to.

Thanks. Now I realize I should have put my wife at the top of the list of navigational devices. Actually, she's glad she was replaced, because now I get frustrated at the machine. She's very amused by it all.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglabrown View Post
Make Steve Jobs happy and get an I-phone. Something like 75,000 apps which include "google maps", "yelp", "google earth"", whatever. Plus "urban spoons", "yelp", and "around me" will give you nearest food, hospitals, etc and rate them. All you need is a cell phone tower, a couple of satellites, and you're in business (oh, and someone to ride shotgun to read everything off to you). Plus the thing can actually be used to call someone...amazing.
Not only call someone but access the web too! My IPhone out shines my Garmin in all respects and you can choose between software:

1) Magellan Roadmate
2) Navigon
3) TomTom
4) G Map

A friend of mine who is a long haul big rig driver uses this and boy am I glad he turned me on to it.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I've started a thread on the various types of free, downloadable GPS maps here. I'm also pushing Oziexplorer, as usual. Ozi's new internet map capability is absolutely stunning.

Zep
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I bought my first Garmin in 2000, a Streetpilot, and still use it. Course it is no longer supported, but it still works just fine. I use it as a speedometer and mileage computer in our motorhome.

Now being the progressive fellow that I am, I recently purchased a new Garmin after doing some comparisons on the web. I ordered a Garmin 1490t on line from Walmart. That particular model is only sold online.

We have had it six or seven months now and it has worked flawlessly. The T stands for Traffic Advisories and on a trip to Chicago last Summer it suddenly started showing delays on our route, and as we progressed we saw the delay times diminishing until by the time we got there, they were gone. Nice feature. It would have also recommended detours if needed.

I have all the map updates as well as two suburban maps that I purchased extra, one being Chicago.

It has worked very well for us.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Ten years ago, I made a trip to Cabo in a Cal 39 equipped with a state of the art GPS. i took my $99 hand held and at the end of the trip, my GPS was within 20 yards of the high dollar unit. Fast forward to today, and my confidence in a GPS is between little and none. Several years ago, there was was some controversy over the fact that national businesses were paying to have GPS routes go by banks, fast food joints and gas stations. My Garmin takes me past a Conoco station that adds two miles to the trip home. Plotting a route with a map/atlas is part of the fun. I have an iPad 3G with google maps that I can use to scope out the terrain. I have two cars with built in GPS units that have never been turned on.

Obviously, everyone who has posted here is single and drives without a spouse to tell him how to drive and where to turn!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #35
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Live GPS

"Obviously, everyone who has posted here is single and drives without a spouse to tell him how to drive and where to turn! "

Yes -- but that option is very expensive, and it is hard to upgrade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I could not have said it any better. Like two female voices telling you what youir doing wrong. Opps. The girls are home. Better get outta here quick. Back to the man cave. SAL.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I’ll stipulate that a GPS can’t be followed blindly. But the Garmin Nuvi 1490T is an awesome device that makes travel safer and more relaxing. And the perfect dash mount for a GPS is the Bracketron Nav-Mat II: http://www.bracketron.com/products/nav-mat-ii-portable-gps-dash-mount. But shop around because you can beat that price.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
I’ll stipulate that a GPS can’t be followed blindly. But the Garmin Nuvi 1490T is an awesome device that makes travel safer and more relaxing. And the perfect dash mount for a GPS is the Bracketron Nav-Mat II: http://www.bracketron.com/products/nav-mat-ii-portable-gps-dash-mount. But shop around because you can beat that price.
I finally bought the 1450LMT. The same as 1490 but without the blue tooth.

I like the bigger screen.

It has been a big improvement over my older Garmins as far as Navigation goes. I have found the traffic information to be useful and usable in a lot more places than I expected.

The one thing I miss compared to the older garmins is the information that the older ones displayed about geographic features such as name of lakes, rivers, etc.

I think when travelling in areas that I am new to, I will use my note book computer with detailed mapping software. I have a GPS puck that I can plug into it, so it will track. I will still use the 1450 for navigation.

So far, I have been using the mouint that came with the 1450, I keep it up high near the rear view mirror. Im my truck, that keeps it in reach.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
I've had several Garmins - and loved them - but am using NAVIGON exclusivelly on my iPhone now. I get a 3D grid and have run it and the Garmin at the same time - and they're neck and neck. One thing I would suggest is NEVER go the 'shortest' route unless you want to cut through all kinds of 'iffy' roads. I try to stick with 'fastest' until I know an area. That way you end up on more maintained roadways.

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
I should have also said that my dash mount is a Magellan - and has it's antenna built in - works great - and I've heard the Tom Tom also has one - but the Magellan is adjustable for allowing the case on the iPhone -

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote