Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I like to use my google Nexus 7 tablet for navigation. I use the off-line feature of google maps to cache maps for the areas I'll be visiting. I also use a marine chart application and a waterproof cover so I can use it on the boat.

If you wish you can get the 10" unit which also has phone connectivity, but I like not having yet another monthly bill .

I also have an older smartphone, but the size of the screen really sells the Nexus....

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #30
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have an Android phone with the Copilot GPS application, and previously used the Sygic GPS application.

With smartphones, you have to have some sort of suitable docking station or mount to hold them safely in view of the driver, and you have to have provisions for 12v power. Some of the mounts are expensive enough (depends on your phone) to make that a consideration.

Most phones cannot walk and chew gum at the same time so if a call comes in you may lose navigation or need a lot of key clicks (=eyes off the road) to maintain both. Similarly if you use your phone as an MP3 player on the road you may find that switching back and forth isn't convenient.

I'm thinking I'll switch to a dash-mount 2xDIN GPS like the one upthread at some point.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
A question for you guys using smartphone apps, would it drive the cost up using them for cross-border navigation? (roaming charges for data?)
Good point. International roaming can be crazily expensive.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
I have combo of Jammer and barts. I have the Nexus 7 tablet that I can use
tethered to my S3 phone and Google maps and navigation. If in not in area for data signal
I have both Copilot GPS and Sygic GPS apps that I can pick from. Copilot and Sygic you can
purchase additional maps for your international travel.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #33
K4TCJ

2007 20' Safari
Newberry , Florida
A lot of good points from everyone. iPhone will ONLY work if you are in an area that has coverage where a GPS will work everywhere it has view of the sky ( not in a garage ). We go many places that have NO cell coverage and would not want to be without GPS. Each unit has its strong points and it will depend on your personal need and experience as to which one is best suited for you. Also note that some of the bad reviews are from those people that may not have read the instructions, installed the unit wrong, or just not tech savvy
Pick what is best for your use, install it to the manuals instructions and take time to learn it before a long trip........
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4TCJ View Post
A lot of good points from everyone. iPhone will ONLY work if you are in an area that has coverage where a GPS will work everywhere it has view of the sky ( not in a garage ). We go many places that have NO cell coverage and would not want to be without GPS. Each unit has its strong points and it will depend on your personal need and experience as to which one is best suited for you. Also note that some of the bad reviews are from those people that may not have read the instructions, installed the unit wrong, or just not tech savvy
Pick what is best for your use, install it to the manuals instructions and take time to learn it before a long trip........
We drove from Tucson to Annapolis, Md. (2600 miles, one way) and never noticed a problem. We have Bluetooth built in and left the IPhone on the dash. Didn't need to look at the screen as the voice action was more than sufficient. SIRI works wonderfull and incoming calls/voice go through the Bose sound system.