Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Battery questions

Have a recently bought an new-to-me AS and I have a Lance slide-on camper as well. I think I have a battery/charger issue in the Lance camper that I don't want to happen in my AS. Does anyone know what would cause two code 27 RV batteries to charge at 6 volts? It happened to the first one after 2 seasons and I thought maybe it had frozen and damaged the cells. However, after replacing the first battery with a new one, it did the same thing after only one trip. I don't want this same problem happening in my AS. Not sure if my Lance's charger is overcharging the batteries but I used a separate charger to recharge my discharged RV batteries(disconnected from the Lance) that showed the batteries only charging at 6 volts versus 12 volts. The first battery was load tested and found defective when I exchanged it but no one could explain what might've happened to it (Walmarts Auto Section). Don't want to stick another one into the Lance until I figure out the problem plus, would like to check my 1989 Excella for the same thing (works fine now, but haven't camped in it and cycled the batteries), hopefully preventing it from happening in it or fixing any charging problems before extended use. Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Regards,
James
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Walmart batteries are one step up from junk batteries. How old were the batteries in question, were they allowed to remain discharged for a long period of time? Along with the load test, check the specific gravity of the electrolyte.

I prefer Interstate Batteries, Deep cycle RV green top.

If the charger is only putting out 6VDC, I would suspect the rectifier in the charger. Probably easier to replace the thing than repair it.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
The battery has nothing to do with the charge voltage. The battery will regulate the amps as it recharges or shorts internally. If you are getting low volts that is your charger. Does it have a setting for 6V or 12V ?
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Don't replace one battery at a time. The new one will fight the old one and both will be bad in short order. I found this out many years ago in a diesel with two batteries. Replace both at same time. Problem solved.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
Walmart batteries are one step up from junk batteries. .
I disagree. The Walmart battery in my boat is 9 years old. The first one I put in my Toyota lasted 11 years. The first one I put in my Jeep lasted over 12 years.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
There is no such thing as a "digital tv" antenna. A coat hanger or 60 year old rabbit ears will receive digital broadcasts.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I got more than 7 full years out of the plain Everstart dc29 battery in our classic never actually died on our watch... I replaced it just to not tempt fate.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
To clarify my dilemma, the Lance slide-on has a single battery whereas my AS has two and I'm hoping to understand a single battery system first before a two battery system gremlin rears its ugly head. In the Lance, the first battery was 11 months old and seemed to cycle properly last season (I assumed it was charging at 12volts). This season started out well and then the battery died while on the road and when we hooked up to shore power, I thought it would recharge in 8-12hrs. It didn't seem to do that, so I removed the battery from the RV and charged it with a separate charger which monitored voltage and percentage of charge. That's where I saw that it was charging at 6 volts and it didn't have the power to work my electric support jacks. I returned it to Walmart's where they load tested it and found it to be defective but could tell me exactly what happened to it. I got a new battery, hooked it up to my separate charger and it properly accepted a charge at 12 volts. We finished our trip, took the camper off a month ago and when I went to load it back up recently, the battery was dead (left radio on I think), disconnected the battery because I wasn't close enough to power to plug in the RV. When I hooked it up to my separate charger, this battery to was only charging at 6 volts. I ended up using an auto battery to jack up the RV so I could move the Lance, it showed a 12 volt charge acceptance when hooked up to my separate charger, so I don't think it is the separate charger. My AS has two batteries and I would like to figure out my Lance issue in case my AS does the same thing. My Lance is a 2002 model year and my AS is a 1989, so I might replace the aged charging system in the AS before I have a problem, just need a bit of direction in RV charging systems basics. I'd like to think they might be of similar design (except for the 2 batts. vs. 1 batt. setup). Hope this helps explain my situation a bit better, any advice would be of great help...
Regards,
James
Old 10-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sorry, Walmart's "couldn't" tell me why my battery failed after they load tested it and found it to be defective...
James
Old 10-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
The 12v from the battery could be masking bad output voltage from the charger. Disconnect the battery and check tho voltage output from the charger.
Also if it's a very basic constant voltage charger and it's running non stop or a lot, it could be cooking off your electrolyte. Keep an eye on the electrolyte. Maintenance free liquid lead acid does not equal maintenance free.
Look for loads you're not keeping track of that could be drawing the battery down when not on charger.
Single vs double batteries really won't be any different except for how the batteries in the dual battery set up will be wired to each other. Charging will be essentially the same.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
reading a lot about batteries

Check out this site. Very detailed info on batteries. Perhaps it is the way you cycle the use of the batteries. See "sulfication" in the article. Apparently if you only "top off" in charging or deplete the batteries, you're toasting them. Most articles recommend buying a volt meter and not to rely on the AS monitor.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera
Davidwantz is offline   Reply With Quote