Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Avion TV antennas, direct TV dish

I can find no evidence externally that my 86 ever had an antenna. Inside there are two locations for both 2 wire flat antenna and standard coaxial wires. Anyone know where these end up?

What would you mount and where ... for network and direct tv?
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bump. Please advise re new antenna best choice
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I would be surprised if your Avion came without an antenna..... I thought that was a standard item. On a 34' Avion, it would have been installed to the rear of the air conditioner. I'm not near my trailer, but I think those wires came up at or near the refrigerator vent.

I am saving my pennies to eventually install a Winegard Razar....

http://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto?g...FZSCaQod6C4F-Q

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Hi Paula,

The "two wire flat" cable is the old style 300 ohm twinlead wire. It was ultimately replaced by coaxial cable. If you can avoid using it, coax would be better. I'm not familiar with the 80's vintage trailers. Some I have seen pictures of had regular residential antennas mounted further aft than is currently done. I'm surprised you don't have at least a cover plate on the roof somewhere for mounting an antenna.

How many coax cables are there? One or more of them may go to another jack somewhere in the trailer. My 2001 and 2002 trailers had two in the bedroom and one in the living area.

If a coax was intended for cable TV it must lead to somewhere on the outside of the trailer. Look in all external compartments, including the bumper storage area if you have one. That's where it was on my 2001 Safari. On my 2002 Classic it is on the wall of the "utility compartment" where the power cable is coiled and stored.

Both my trailers had the original Winegard Sensar antenna that was intended mainly for VHF channels, i.e. 2-13. Even though it was not optimum for UHF, i.e. up to channel numbers in the 60's, I still got stations from greater than 50 miles away.

Winegard makes a bolt-on accessory called the Wingman that improves UHF reception on the original Sensar. I put one on both of my trailers and it definitely improved reception.

Posters on here have reported success with the Jack Antenna. If I were starting with a fresh slate, I'd probably put one of those on for off the air TV. It requires a hole from the outside to the inside for rotating the antenna. There are omni-directional antennas but in weak signal areas a directional antenna will perform better. The trick will be to route the coax feedline if you can't find where one goes to a spot on the roof. The easiest place might be near the refrigerator and route the coax down through the refrigerator compartment as Lew does for solar installations.

For DirecTV, you have choices from less than $100 for a tripod-mounted manually pointed antenna to nearly $1500 for a roof-mounted automatically aligning HD-compatible antenna. Middle of the road is a carry-out unit that only does standard definition signals in the $400-$500 range. If you can find an external coax connection, you can hook up to that. It is probably the older RG-59 but if you use the newer RG-6 cable from the trailer to the antenna it should work. If you plan on manually aligning it, you need an antenna that has the older LNB feed, not the single wire multiswitch, or SWM, as the alignment meters for the SWM are over $300 the last time I checked. A $29 meter works fine for the older LNBs.

I wrote a description of how I converted the wiring in my Safari for satellite. Here's a copy. I posted it before, but I can't find it now.

Sorry to be so wordy; hope this helps.

Al
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite TV in my 2001 Safari.pdf (332.4 KB, 167 views)
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
tonkawa , Oklahoma
Hi. I have an 1986 32S Avion. The coax cable line from the outlet box in the living room and the outlet in the bedroom ends up in the outside compartment where the electric cord and the water line enter the trailer. Usually located just forward of the water heater. I had none of the flat style cable. On the interior in both locations is a coax connection labeled "park cable" and another coax connection with a 12 volt outlet and switch for the antenna connection. My former roof antenna (now long gone, only the bracket remains) was located towards the rear of the living room. The wiring going apparently going up through the wall.
$hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
tonkawa , Oklahoma
For a short time I also had an 1982 34V. It only had the flat style cable and no coax outlets. So the mid-eighties must be when they changed styles.
$hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Avion antenna and Televison signal wires

I concur with the commenter quoted below. I have a 1985 Avion (25 foot model with center bath). My connections are coax and located as the ones below, with an antenna mount on the roof just aft of the AC unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hide View Post
Hi. I have an 1986 32S Avion. The coax cable line from the outlet box in the living room and the outlet in the bedroom ends up in the outside compartment where the electric cord and the water line enter the trailer. Usually located just forward of the water heater. I had none of the flat style cable. On the interior in both locations is a coax connection labeled "park cable" and another coax connection with a 12 volt outlet and switch for the antenna connection. My former roof antenna (now long gone, only the bracket remains) was located towards the rear of the living room. The wiring going apparently going up through the wall.
dower.bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
My 73 argosy had the flat wire to the original crank up antenna on the roof. We went back with the JACK brand HD antenna and have been pleased with its performance. It comes with all instructions for new installation as well as replacement of existing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469718155753.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	267860  
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Avion TV antennas, direct TV dish

Omnidirectional antennas are sort of bad in all directions. A Wineguard Sensar would be my choice.

Had flat twin lead cable on the 1970s Silver Streaks I had, but the ones from 1982 and later were coax. I'd think Avion would be the same.

I've seen several thoughts on Sat TV. If parked a long while, just have tech install the usual on ground.

The roof mount ones are more expensive. Convenient. Until one is parked long term with buildings or trees in the way.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote