Old 08-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #15
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Venice , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
I have done a little more homework on SPOT

These are reviews from owners.

1. SPOT Trace led me to believe that my boat would be safe using this device and their service. Truth is the day my $233,000 boat was stolen it didn't do a thing. Why? Because these SPOT Trace devices can be easilly found due to the fact that they emit an RF frequency to communicate with GPS satellites. Anyone can buy an RF detector here on Amazon that will tell a thief if your boat, motorcycle or car has one. They simply find the hidden device, turn the device off or remove the batteries and your car boat, truck, or motorcycle dissapears! When we told the police officer taking the report we had satellite tracking on the boat he said those are worthless. A thief who knows his trade will not let a tracking device like SPOT Trace get in his way. SPOT won't tell you this. They lead you to believe your vehicle is protected. That's not always the case. SPOT Trace is no deterent for a professional thief!

2. Its not that great. I threw it in my glove box with logo facing up just to test it. It tracked 2 points over 23 minutes and the points were not marked as being 5 minutes apart but between 6-7 minutes with large gaps for the missing points. The points matched up directly on the road though. Also, when sitting in plain sight on my dash it is unable to get a gps point in my garage with 2 windows, so it never looks like the car actually makes it home.

3. If the unit loses power it DOES NOT automatically turn back on and continue tracking when power is restored. Therefore, this unit is dependent on AAA batteries which means don't put too much effort into a concealed install since you'll have to replace them eventually even if hardwired.

4. If hard wired or USB powered then you have the wonderful parasitic drain...

I'll pass...

We drag Mitzi a 2016 International Serenity 30, with an Equal-i-zer 1000 yanked around with a 2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4x4, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.92 axle, 6-speed auto WBCCI #6111 AIR #107335

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Where would you install this on an Airstream, assuming you will use batteries? Can this be installed under the AC cover?

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
If you have an old Android phone that still has a data connection you can use any one of the 'Anchor Watch' apps to send you a TXT message if the phone moves more than (you set it) meters from the set point.

I'm using a $10/month t-mobile plan on an old tablet.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Where would you install this on an Airstream, assuming you will use batteries? Can this be installed under the AC cover?
I have mine installed inside the trailer, in the skylight. As it is waterproof, it could be installed under the AC cover. It comes with a mounting bracket that could be fastened anywhere on the roof with 3M tape (which also comes with the unit.)

WBCCI #6497
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaCapt View Post
If you have an old Android phone that still has a data connection you can use any one of the 'Anchor Watch' apps to send you a TXT message if the phone moves more than (you set it) meters from the set point.

I'm using a $10/month t-mobile plan on an old tablet.
That is a good use of the old phone/tablet, however the SPOT Trace is less expensive ($99 per year) and will work even out of cell phone range as it communicates via satellite. The cell phone would still need a clear view of the sky in order to get a GPS fix.

WBCCI #6497
Old 08-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Sample of Trace

I took my trailer to a weigh scale today and the SPOT Trace created this track with a waypoint every 2.5 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPOT Trace Tracking.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	268913

WBCCI #6497
Old 08-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #21
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I have mine installed inside the trailer, in the skylight. As it is waterproof, it could be installed under the AC cover. It comes with a mounting bracket that could be fastened anywhere on the roof with 3M tape (which also comes with the unit.)
I was hoping inside the AC cover would be a good spot. It hides it but keeps it up there. Changing the batteries every so often would be the only downside, but I think it's manageable.

I've added this to my "to do" gadget list. I like it.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Peace of Mind

I like getting the daily email with the GPS coordinates from the SPOT Trace every day at the same time advising me that the unit is functioning OK.

Name:	SPOT - Functioning Properly.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	269328

I have set up the messaging for an Movement Alert to my email includes the VIN, description, licence plate and WBCCI number so that details can be reported accurately to the police if needed.

WBCCI #6497
Old 08-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
This is the service I use on my truck and my Airstream. It is nice to know where your trailer is once it is stolen but better yet when it is never stolen to start with.
This is a Canadian company but I am sure a similar service exist in the US.

http://tagtracking.ca/en/our-system/
Old 08-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
SPOT Trace - Responds to Thunder Storm

The SPOT Trace must use an accelerometer to trigger a "Movement Alert" as I just received an alert as the trailer was being buffeted by strong winds when a thunder storm was moving overhead.

Name:	IMG_6184.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	269967

WBCCI #6497
Old 10-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
These are reviews from owners.

1. SPOT Trace led me to believe that my boat would be safe using this device and their service. Truth is the day my $233,000 boat was stolen it didn't do a thing. Why? Because these SPOT Trace devices can be easilly found due to the fact that they emit an RF frequency to communicate with GPS satellites. Anyone can buy an RF detector here on Amazon that will tell a thief if your boat, motorcycle or car has one. They simply find the hidden device, turn the device off or remove the batteries and your car boat, truck, or motorcycle dissapears! When we told the police officer taking the report we had satellite tracking on the boat he said those are worthless. A thief who knows his trade will not let a tracking device like SPOT Trace get in his way. SPOT won't tell you this. They lead you to believe your vehicle is protected. That's not always the case. SPOT Trace is no deterent for a professional thief!

2. Its not that great. I threw it in my glove box with logo facing up just to test it. It tracked 2 points over 23 minutes and the points were not marked as being 5 minutes apart but between 6-7 minutes with large gaps for the missing points. The points matched up directly on the road though. Also, when sitting in plain sight on my dash it is unable to get a gps point in my garage with 2 windows, so it never looks like the car actually makes it home.

3. If the unit loses power it DOES NOT automatically turn back on and continue tracking when power is restored. Therefore, this unit is dependent on AAA batteries which means don't put too much effort into a concealed install since you'll have to replace them eventually even if hardwired.

4. If hard wired or USB powered then you have the wonderful parasitic drain...

I'll pass...
#1 is a bit different since the plan would be to somewhat conceal it inside the AS. I would expect an AS thief would try and take the whole trailer first before breaking in to the trailer to look inside. So you'd already know the thing was being taken and where before they attempted to disable it.

#2 is ridiculous. It needs a clear view of the sky, which buried in the glove box is not. Unlike the cell-based trackers which can still receive GPS even when buried in a glove box or under the dash, the SPOT units must transmit out to satellites, thus a much lower tolerance for obstacles.

#3 this sounds legit, wonder if it would run off the AAA's and USB combined and give preference to USB

#4 this is the worst and most ridiculous objection yet. The power draw on this unit is going to be tiny - 24 months on 3 AAA's. If this is your biggest concern for your 2x deep cycle batteries...
Old 10-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
If it is anything like the GPS I got for my dogs collar it will be worthless.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
If it is anything like the GPS I got for my dogs collar it will be worthless.
Which one did you get? Because some of those collars require them to be in range of a handheld tracker; or in range of a unit inside your house; or some of them are just cellular and not satellite so if you are out in a remote area you will get zero tracking.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I tried 2 different trackers. Neither were accurate at all. Most times it would not even pick up the collar on the app.
Not in the wilderness in my front yard it would not work.
I have up on them all together