Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #21
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Thanks
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I didn't trash my screws, just put them in the box the camera kit came in.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdream99 View Post
Could the bracket be installed upside down? Seems that when keeping the three screws in their respective curved holes it could rotate pretty extremely pointing back at the trailer.

I flipped the bracket around for better adjustment pretty easy. Not much in the way of leak prevention and bracket retention. Just a piece of closed cell foam and the two sheet metal screws into the skin. I'll go back sometime this summer and maybe do some butyl tape or something.
timdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
The backup camera on the our Ford truck is used as an aid when backing up. When parking I can see whatever there is directly behind the truck. It only works in reverse and I can get quite close to objects without touching.

This is what I expected to see with our factory installed Voyager camera on our 2016 30' International.

However with an awning over the rear window the area about 2' directly behind the airstream bumper is blocked from view!

With my factory set-up on our awning equipped Airstream, the bottom of the image from our backup camera in not the top of the rear bumper rather the image is of the top of the awning over the rear window. The entire critical area directly behind the rear bumper is blocked from view.

Fortunately I have a pretty spotter who I listen to on occasion and never backed into anything.

Since there is no point in looking at the top of the awning I did what Troutboy did and removed the useless screws and rotated the camera viewing angle.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Myth, the use of the rear view camera as a backup camera is a myth! It's great for using while driving, and gets me about 5 feet from where I park while backing but I have same issue.

I like it better as a rear view camera while driving, helps with lane changes and knowing what's happening behind. Although, the objects are way closer than they appear, so take that into consideration
Old 05-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Big T,

So far in our entire one month of trailer ownership I just didn't want to see that long line of pissed off drivers behind me. But I'll give it a try for lane changing's sake.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Myth, the use of the rear view camera as a backup camera is a myth! It's great for using while driving, and gets me about 5 feet from where I park while backing but I have same issue.

I like it better as a rear view camera while driving, helps with lane changes and knowing what's happening behind. Although, the objects are way closer than they appear, so take that into consideration

Same here. I stowed my extra screws in the box that the camera came in. Doubt I'll ever need them. I wish there was an adjustment for the field of view to make the cars behind show more accurately how close they are.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Just installed ours this past weekend and had the same discussion as to our use for the camera. Went with one screw in the middle on each side and tilted up enough to maximize rear view. I figure I can get "close enough" backing up (with my co-pilot's assistance usually) but really wanted the camera for that move back over into the right lane.

BTW, as many other self-installers have noted, not much room to play with those wires coming out of the running light. . . we had to make sure not to "lose" them into the shell while splicing them up. The pre-wired rigs must be a dream.
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
We had our Voyager installed by the dealer we bought our Airstream from - they did not have factory installed at the time. However the dealer called Airstream and this is what they recommended. Since the original was installed I have replaced the screen with a newer model that is smaller but IMO does not take away from what you are looking at.

I also have thought about raising the level of the camera view but I have grown to like the view of my bumper on the camper while driving down the road. I can use my TV mirrors to see what is coming from either side but the camera view lets me know if my lane is clear when trying to change lanes. It is a big help and I actually don't want to see the line of vehicles behind me because it will be a distraction.

I use the camera for backing up but only for a general view what is back there and the path I am taking. I also have a pretty backup assistant who will yell at me when there is something I am getting ready to hit.

I have been using this camera on every trip since we bought the Airstream and I have always had a solid clear signal from camera to display and would highly recommend this setup to anyone who is looking. Some complain that it is tied to the marker light circuit but I run with my TV lights on if I am towing anyway for safety. I have a couple videos on my youtube channel if anyone is interested they are below.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
In that first video and the still picture above, I have the same view.

However, that is not my bumper, it is the awning enclosure. Are you sure that is your bumper?

I angled mine up and I can still see that view but I can see down the road. A little more. I like to know what is behind me, like a rear view mirror.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
By the way, Nice videos and thanks for sharing. Thanks
Old 05-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
In that first video and the still picture above, I have the same view.

However, that is not my bumper, it is the awning enclosure. Are you sure that is your bumper?

I angled mine up and I can still see that view but I can see down the road. A little more. I like to know what is behind me, like a rear view mirror.
100% sure it is bumper (no rear awning on my Airstream)....I may angle it up just a tad to where just the very edge of the bumper shows and not so much of it like it is now

Thank you for the compliment!

Old 05-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
BTW, you folks with Tundras equipped with back up cameras, did you know a way to engage the camera while driving?
Well, according to Toyota, above 25 mph, you can shift into "R" and the camera will come on but the transmission won't actually shift.
Am I going to try it? Not in this lifetime!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
BTW, you folks with Tundras equipped with back up cameras, did you know a way to engage the camera while driving?
Well, according to Toyota, above 25 mph, you can shift into "R" and the camera will come on but the transmission won't actually shift.
Go to one of the Toyota truck enthusiast sites and search for the backup camera hacks. I am aware of one for the Tacoma that involves adding a switch to the reverse line to the mirror (where the display is) to turn on the display while in drive. It's a fairly simple hack that can be done adding the single-pole double throw switch up by the mirror or under the dash. In one position, the mirror works normally, in the other, the switch sends 12 volts to the reverse sense line at the mirror to turn on the rear camera monitor full-time. I have the part in hand, just need the time to install (like everything else...)

A schematic for your Tundra can be downloaded from the Toyota TIS technical information site for a nominal fee, plus anything else you might want to know about it. Its a subscription charge that varies by how long you need/want access.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Depending on the year of the Tundra there is a reverse bypass mod you can do - just add a switch and you can turn it on whenever you want - just like rmkrum said above search the Tundra forums and you will be guided to the way to do it.

Prior to changing out my head unit in my Raptor I had the same thing done on the stock head unit.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
Big T,

So far in our entire one month of trailer ownership I just didn't want to see that long line of pissed off drivers behind me. But I'll give it a try for lane changing's sake.

Hilarious!!
SuperPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Colorado
Quote:

Excellent idea!!! Thank you troutboy!!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
We had our Voyager installed by the dealer we bought our Airstream from - they did not have factory installed at the time. However the dealer called Airstream and this is what they recommended. Since the original was installed I have replaced the screen with a newer model that is smaller but IMO does not take away from what you are looking at.

I also have thought about raising the level of the camera view but I have grown to like the view of my bumper on the camper while driving down the road. I can use my TV mirrors to see what is coming from either side but the camera view lets me know if my lane is clear when trying to change lanes. It is a big help and I actually don't want to see the line of vehicles behind me because it will be a distraction.

I use the camera for backing up but only for a general view what is back there and the path I am taking. I also have a pretty backup assistant who will yell at me when there is something I am getting ready to hit.

I have been using this camera on every trip since we bought the Airstream and I have always had a solid clear signal from camera to display and would highly recommend this setup to anyone who is looking. Some complain that it is tied to the marker light circuit but I run with my TV lights on if I am towing anyway for safety. I have a couple videos on my youtube channel if anyone is interested they are below.

So much MORE useful!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2398.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	286023Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2400.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	286024
Old 02-16-2020, 04:10 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Question: Are the wires connecting to the wifi-remote rear view camera installed by Airstream simply a pair of +/- 12v DC wires or is there an additional wire that routes to a separate transmitter located somewhere else in the Travel Trailer?

I ask as I recently purchased a pre-owned '18 Classic and am not overly pleased with the image quality of the Voyager, and am considering a change out to more of a HD type wireless / wifi camera if available in the marketplace.
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote